Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 19:49   #151
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: iPad Case and Mount Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Guys, your being rediculousy personal with all of this 'crossing the line' crap and it is getting unfairly low with accusations of personal gain. How about just accepting you have different opinions without the personal stuff coming into it.
I hear you.

If my goal was for personal gain, clearly I wouldn't spend the hours I have on this thread.

This is why I get involved so deeply.

John Q. P is sitting on his 30 something foot 30 something year old project boat watching this thread. He is relatively new to sailing, and has little money in his jeans. He has a compass and paper charts. He thinks he should have electronic navigation.

He reads this thread, and thinks, "Hey, if that's all they have on 50+ foot luxury yachts, that's all I need, I have a cell phone, I'll get an app and charts.

Off he sails with his girlfriend who has only sailed twice before, about one third as much as the boyfriend. About 3 pm, a squall comes through, the waves get bigger than he's ever been in before, his cell phone battery dies and his paper charts blow out of the cockpit. Scared out of their wits, they manage to make it back to safe harbour, the boat gets sold, and neither sets foot on a boat again.

When I evaluate solutions, I play them against many possible scenarios, to determine, is this solution likely to be safe in the average and extreme conditions I am likely to encounter. I can't imagine a mounted chartplotter dying or blowing out of the cockpit. I have seen the other happen. Therefore, right or wrong, I certainly don't consider it as safe.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 21:49   #152
cruiser

RambinRod,

Please get with the times. Step away from your computer and get some real world cruising experience before dishing out your advice to others.

Traditional helm based Chartplotters like that monstrosity you have blocking the helm view on your boat will soon become a relic from the past... just like the ten pound early 1980's cell phones. You might want to start getting used to it.

This thread is about iPad mounts and cases... Not obsolete chartplotters and oversized helm pods.

You may not like it because it doesn't fit your view, but watch the video again... A very wet ride, two people successfully navigating using only iPads, and.... The iPad isn't flying out of the hands of my wife and into the sea.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 22:22   #153
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
He reads this thread, and thinks, "Hey, if that's all they have on 50+ foot luxury yachts, that's all I need, I have a cell phone, I'll get an app and charts.
It doesn't matter whether you like it or not.... that's all he needs.

A secondary mobile device or a paper chart and compass for backup redundancy.... and he's good to go.

In doing so, your hypothetical sailor doesn't put any money into YOUR pocket, but.... that's just how it is.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:07   #154
cruiser

Quote:

Off he sails with his girlfriend who has only sailed twice before, about one third as much as the boyfriend. About 3 pm, a squall comes through, the waves get bigger than he's ever been in before, his cell phone battery dies and his paper charts blow out of the cockpit. Scared out of their wits, they manage to make it back to safe harbour, the boat gets sold, and neither sets foot on a boat again.

When I evaluate solutions, I play them against many possible scenarios, to determine, is this solution likely to be safe in the average and extreme conditions I am likely to encounter. I can't imagine a mounted chartplotter dying or blowing out of the cockpit. I have seen the other happen. Therefore, right or wrong, I certainly don't consider it as safe.
Seriously.... "His paper charts blow out of the cockpit.".

Now I'm beginning to wonder if you have any sailing experience beyond day sailing around your harbor staring at your Chartplotter. Back in 1980, even us twenty year olds making passages on our O'Day 20 knew enough to read our charts and plot our course down below and out of the elements.

Yes, some of us sailed long before the Chartplotter even existed, and..... Somehow we even managed to return home.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:18   #155
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Look at the navpods with chartplotters blocking their view! and the ipads
http://youtu.be/irmfc3uDGTs

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 19:56   #156
cruiser

J Class yachts use iPads for navigation. I wonder which waterproof case they're using?
Old 05-03-2016, 20:03   #157

Quote:
I hear you.

If my goal was for personal gain, clearly I wouldn't spend the hours I have on this thread.

John Q. P is sitting on his 30 something foot 30 something year old project boat watching this thread. He is relatively new to sailing, and has little money in his jeans. He has a compass and paper charts. He thinks he should have electronic navigation.

If some theoretical no expieriance couple spent the equivilant of a small home on a sailing vessel and based their navigational decisions on random anonymous advice from two people throwing their poo at each other via a sailing forum spat, then said anonymous couple are probably doomed anyway....

"It were a dark and stormy nigh when Billy's Ipad suddenly died!! A rouge wave 20 meters high washed away his silly paper charts... Sally sue wept as they headed for Deadman reef..."If only we had bought a PLOTTER!!!!!!"

Fade to black......

menacing music.....

Run garmin ad......

Really People???

Plotter= navigational aid
Ipad= navigational aid
Paper charts=navigational aid

They are all just tools

The USCG as of Feb 5 2016 "yes this year" just Ok'd the sole use of electronic charts proved it is a update subscription service.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 20:09   #158
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Seriously.... "His paper charts blow out of the cockpit.".

Now I'm beginning to wonder if you have any sailing experience beyond day sailing around your harbor staring at your Chartplotter. Back in 1980, even us twenty year olds making passages on our O'Day 20 knew enough to read our charts and plot our course down below and out of the elements.

Yes, some of us sailed long before the Chartplotter even existed, and..... Somehow we even managed to return home.
You're so funny.

Chart plotter = robust

IPad = fragile

That simple.
Old 05-03-2016, 20:16   #159
cruiser

Quote:
You're so funny.

Chart plotter = robust

IPad = fragile

That simple.
I guess you neglected to watch this video of the J Class yachts using iPads? Maybe the owners couldn't afford a "proper Chartplotter?" Something a little more "robust?"
Old 06-03-2016, 06:58   #160
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

My chartplotter runs on MS Windows... now that is a depressing thought and not anywhere near robust imho

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:12   #161
cruiser

Quote:
I guess you neglected to watch this video of the J Class yachts using iPads? Maybe the owners couldn't afford a "proper Chartplotter?" Something a little more "robust?"
Irrelevant.

These guys don't care if they trash 5 iPads per race.

If the boat blows apart, 10 metres over the finish line and they can get if fixed by throwing obscene amounts of cash at it, and be ready for the start of the next race, that's fine.

iPad = fragile
chartplotter = robust

That simple.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:18   #162
cruiser

Quote:
Irrelevant.

These guys don't care if they trash 5 iPads per race.

iPad = fragile
chartplotter = robust

That simple.
Thus saith the Chartplotter salesman.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:01   #163
cruiser

Quote:
Thus saith the Chartplotter salesman.
If I don't sell one more chartplotter in all my days, that's fine, if I can inspire sailors to choose more safe and reliable solutions.

This is the kind of guy I am.
Old 06-03-2016, 13:29   #164

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
I suspect these guys also had an installed chartplotter too.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 18:58   #165
cruiser

Quote:
Nope, but I guess you neglected to look at the pictures on the J Class website, that show these very boats you have selected to support your iPad argument, absolutely loaded with permanently mounted electronic instruments.

Tags
Ipad