Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 21:03   #166
cruiser

Re: iPad Case and Mount Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Nope, but I guess you neglected to look at the pictures on the J Class website, that show these very boats you have selected to support your iPad argument, absolutely loaded with permanently mounted electronic instruments.
So.....

I went to the J Class website, looked at the pictures as you suggested, and sure enough... there it was, an enormous helm pod just like yours... partially blocking the helm view on Endeavor. "Absolutely loaded with permanently mounted electronic instruments."

It's almost like.... I can hardly tell them apart.

Which helm picture was yours again?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	endeavor helm.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	120129   Click image for larger version

Name:	enormous pod.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	120130  

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 15:54   #167
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
So.....

I went to the J Class website, looked at the pictures as you suggested, and sure enough... there it was, an enormous helm pod just like yours... partially blocking the helm view on Endeavor. "Absolutely loaded with permanently mounted electronic instruments."

It's almost like.... I can hardly tell them apart.

Which helm picture was yours again?
Mine is the one with the hot chick at the helm, with instruments just below her eyeline over the cabin, such that she can take a quick glance without taking her eye off the ball. ;-)
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 16:09   #168

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Mine is the one with the hot chick at the helm, with instruments just below her eyeline over the cabin, such that she can take a quick glance without taking her eye off the ball. ;-)
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 17:44   #169
cruiser

Quote:
Mine is the one with the hot chick at the helm.)
I always knew we would eventually agree on something. Two thumbs up! :-)

Safe travels, enjoy your upcoming adventures.

Ken
Old 07-03-2016, 18:53   #170

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

Quote:
Again, if I've told you once, I've told you a MILLION times, stop exaggerating.

;-)

As a result of this thread, I did a quick search on electronic charts in Europe and the Med.

Being previously familiar only with the relatively low cost of proper electronic chart solutions for North America, I empathise with sailors in other parts of the world who are sailing on a budget and are burdened with a higher cost of electronic charts.

This however, does not eliminate the burden on those skippers to properly outfit there vessels with appropriate safety and navigation gear.

Last I checked, nobody is making anybody sail a recreational vessel.

Hmmmm, let me process this for a second.

Sails an Oyster 53, but claims financial hardship when it comes to purchasing electronic charts for a chartplotter.

Wait a minute. That's it!

Yup, now I have truly heard it all. ;-)

Must get back to work, helping skippers make their boats safe, installing chartplotters on boats ranging from 45 year old 26 footers.

If you continue your current practices, and you loose your boat or a loved one, you will have my sympathy, even if, it would have been totally avoided had the use of a proper chartplotter saved the day.

That is the kind of stand-up guy I am.

The question is, under these circumstances, "Would you be able to live with yourself?

If your answer is "yes", then there is no point in my proceeding any further with this thread.

RamblinRod
Marine Service Provider
About Sheen Marine

Mmmmkay. I need to read more of this thread, but my response to this post is... As an active iPad user cruising Mexico, I'd like to remind you that Joshua Slocum was heavily criticized for not having the latest and greatest in chronometers before he sailed himself around the world alone.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:16   #171

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I use a iPad in a water proof case. Very happy. I also have paper and a hand held for back up. Crossing the Atlantic in a year and will have a chart plotter with radar for that trip.

Sail the Caribbean for 8 years. My question is that I find the iPad gets very warm in the case. Anyone else have this issue and what do you do about it?

landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:33   #172

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Sail the Caribbean for 8 years. My question is that I find the iPad gets very warm in the case. Anyone else have this issue and what do you do about it?
Yes, iPads may overheat in direct sunlight and switch off for a while. Our solution has been simply to keep the iPads in shadow. Another reason behind not having a fixed mount for the iPads in the cockpit is that it is easier to read them when they are not in direct sunlight.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:42   #173
cruiser

Lifeproof case for iPad Air and air 2. We tend to keep the iPads in the shade which isn't a problem, because that's usually where we are too. We also put them into sleep mode when not viewing them. There's a way to put them into sleep without accessing buttons which might not be readily accessible, but you might need a 10 year old on YouTube to show you how. The screen seems to generate most of the heat.

Our current Lifeproof cases are the nuud model, so the sleep button is easy to push. On our previous Lifeproof Fre case, we used the screen buttons which involved tapping three buttons to place into sleep.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:21   #174

Does anyone have a iPad waterproof case that when used at the helm does not overheat occasionally?

Old 03-04-2016, 04:24   #175
cruiser

We use the Lifeproof nuud case. No overheating issues to date, but we do have a Bimini over the cockpit, and both iPads are white with white cases. We also use Lifeproof Lifejackets on them for traction control and added protection when underway.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:46   #176

I hadn't thought about the color. Mine is black so would naturally be hotter. Thanks for stating the obvious.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:56   #177

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Does anyone have a iPad waterproof case that when used at the helm does not overheat occasionally?
We usually have simply Apple's leather case (black). The tablet may overheat if left in direct sunlight. But since it makes sense too keep the tablet in a shadow also for readability reasons, overheating is not a problem. Partially for the same reasons we don't have a fixed mount, but the tablet will move around depending on weather and position of the sun.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad