Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2022, 18:08   #1

Boat: Currently boatless
iOS or Android remote for Evolution autopilots?

The Raymarine remote control is an obsolete and overpriced kludge. Its base station has an old seatalk interface, so it requires an additional seatalk-to-Seatalk ng adapter. But one could get a NMEA2k (or seatalk ng) to wifi or Bluetooth bridge, and, at least in theory, control the autopilot with a smart phone. Has anyone tried this?

I found one such bridge (https://www.amazon.com/Yacht-Devices...07BHKLWX8?th=1) after about 30 sec google search. I'm pretty sure there are others, possibly much less expensive.
Old 10-01-2022, 18:45   #2

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m
Re: iOS or Android remote for Evolution autopilots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
The Raymarine remote control is an obsolete and overpriced kludge. Its base station has an old seatalk interface, so it requires an additional seatalk-to-Seatalk ng adapter. But one could get a NMEA2k (or seatalk ng) to wifi or Bluetooth bridge, and, at least in theory, control the autopilot with a smart phone. Has anyone tried this?

I found one such bridge (https://www.amazon.com/Yacht-Devices...07BHKLWX8?th=1) after about 30 sec google search. I'm pretty sure there are others, possibly much less expensive.
YDWG-02 is not a remote control for AP. It only sends the navigation sentences to the pilot (Track mode).

This device is the only one in the world that does what you want:
https://ocenav.com/en/producto/kit-n...lot-atm105-c3/

It has a remote control, but also a keypad for the AP through WiFi if you want a cheaper version:
https://ocenav.com/en/nmea-wifi-converter-options/
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 18:54   #3

Give this site a look.

https://www.i3dgear.com/online-store...uddy-c28055506

A fellow named Rick Wallace runs it. He gave me incredible support when he did not have to. Really stands by his product.

You can also look at running a signal K server ( very simple actually ) and using Wilhelm SK on an ipad or iphone.
Sailorman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 19:05   #4

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehani View Post
YDWG-02 is not a remote control for AP. It only sends the navigation sentences to the pilot (Track mode).
My understanding is that it communicates both ways, and does allow autopilot control. From the feature list: "allows to control Raymarine SeaTalk NG autopilots from NMEA 0183".

And from the user manual: "Raymarine autopilots use proprietary messages to control. The Gateway was tested with the two systems, but we also expect that it will work well with all other Raymarine SeaTalk NG autopilots:
• Raymarine C90W chartplotter, Raymarine SPX SmartPilot SPX30 and Raymarine ST70 Pilot Head;
• Raymarine c125 chartplotter (LightHouse 17), Raymarine EV-1 Course Computer and Raymarine ACU200 Actuator Unit."

The YDWG comes from the factory in transmit-only mode, so that setting must be changed to bi-directional, but all that is also mentioned in the docs. Unfortunately when I was last playing with one I only used it to display information, so I can't say I've done it myself.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 19:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
My understanding is that it communicates both ways, and does allow autopilot control. From the feature list: "allows to control Raymarine SeaTalk NG autopilots from NMEA 0183".

And from the user manual: "Raymarine autopilots use proprietary messages to control. The Gateway was tested with the two systems, but we also expect that it will work well with all other Raymarine SeaTalk NG autopilots:
• Raymarine C90W chartplotter, Raymarine SPX SmartPilot SPX30 and Raymarine ST70 Pilot Head;
• Raymarine c125 chartplotter (LightHouse 17), Raymarine EV-1 Course Computer and Raymarine ACU200 Actuator Unit."

The YDWG comes from the factory in transmit-only mode, so that setting must be changed to bi-directional, but all that is also mentioned in the docs. Unfortunately when I was last playing with one I only used it to display information, so I can't say I've done it myself.
Wilhem SK hacked this. i3d Gear uses a seatalk 2 to seatalk NG converter to get the data to the evolution.
Sailorman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 21:10   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41

Yakbitz?
http://yakbitz.com/Default.aspx
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 03:14   #7

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman97 View Post
Give this site a look.

https://www.i3dgear.com/online-store...uddy-c28055506

A fellow named Rick Wallace runs it. He gave me incredible support when he did not have to. Really stands by his product.

You can also look at running a signal K server ( very simple actually ) and using Wilhelm SK on an ipad or iphone.
I suggest you compare the features of the two products. There is enough information on those websites.
Ziggy asks for a remote on IOS or Android. Only Ocenav has it, in addition to many advanced features since it is also a two-way gateway with three protocols (Seatalk, N2k and NMEA0183) plus WiFi.

I also suggest you see the features of the ATM105B Remote Control: https://ocenav.com/en/producto/remot...ilot-atm105-b/
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:47   #8

Boat: Currently boatless

Wow--thank you all for these excellent leads. I will research them further.

I actually don't have a strong preference for iOS or Android; it just seemed like a potential simple solution. But something like AutoBuddy also looks interesting, especially if the remote is reasonably water resistant. It's currently listed as "out of stock"--looks like Rick is 3D printing them in his basement?

Tags
autopilot, remote