Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2017, 09:09   #1

Boat: DownEaster 38
Installing N2K network

Hello all. Having assembled all (I hope) of the pieces for my modest instrument network I am about to tackle the installation. I have used the Maretron Network Builder app to lay the system out to be sure the connections are compliant, but I am not sure about any interference issues caused by running N2K connectors next to other electrical lines. I would think that it be best to avoid being too close to main 12 v DC distribution lines, but hope that being next to DC lines going to individual components would not be a problem, but that is the question.
Another question: Is it OK to install a T in the backbone with out any connector in place, leaving it open for a device in the future.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 18:22   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Installing N2K network

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
Hello all. Having assembled all (I hope) of the pieces for my modest instrument network I am about to tackle the installation. I have used the Maretron Network Builder app to lay the system out to be sure the connections are compliant, but I am not sure about any interference issues caused by running N2K connectors next to other electrical lines. I would think that it be best to avoid being too close to main 12 v DC distribution lines, but hope that being next to DC lines going to individual components would not be a problem, but that is the question.
Another question: Is it OK to install a T in the backbone with out any connector in place, leaving it open for a device in the future.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
I believe the N2K cable is shielded, and the conductors are well twisted. Unless someone knows otherwise, I'd say you'd be OK. I suspect any problem wouldn't be from a heavy 12VDC power supply, but a high-frequency signal cable.

I've had a couple of unused T's in my N2K backbone without issue (so far.)

Keep in mind this isn't expert advice, just "what some guy on the internet did."
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I believe the N2K cable is shielded, and the conductors are well twisted. Unless someone knows otherwise, I'd say you'd be OK. I suspect any problem wouldn't be from a heavy 12VDC power supply, but a high-frequency signal cable.

I've had a couple of unused T's in my N2K backbone without issue (so far.)

Keep in mind this isn't expert advice, just "what some guy on the internet did."
Thanks CaptTom for those good tips. I heard directly from another N2K user who confirms your statement that the cables are well shielded (meant to lie next to other electrical stuff) and that "empty" Ts are fine. Maretron does make caps to cover such unused branches. So...time to get to work.
Old 15-01-2017, 15:28   #4

the tees are fine but you may want to find a way to keep moisture out of the unused connection.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:53   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Don't put the spare T's in. You can simply attach the two cables (one end has a male connector, the other female) without the T and later insert it when you need it.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:30   #6

Many thanks for the tips. I understand that one can add T's whenever needed, but I intend to fix these parts to a board and would prefer to put the T's in now where they will be needed in the future. There are caps (which I have already bought) which will close off the open side of the T preventing anything getting into the circuits. I think that should be sufficient protection. We will see.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:56   #7
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

One thing the terminators will do, could have changed over the years, will speed up your data transmissions. The terminators have a small load that acts like a device on the network. This completes the loop resulting in a faster response time.

Once again, not sure is this still the design in todays world.

Good luck
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
One thing the terminators will do, could have changed over the years, will speed up your data transmissions. The terminators have a small load that acts like a device on the network. This completes the loop resulting in a faster response time.

Once again, not sure is this still the design in todays world.

Good luck
Good point! I'll look again to see the impact of not installing spare Ts right away. Can't be a big deal.
Thanks all.
Bob
Old 08-02-2017, 10:58   #9

Quote:
Good point! I'll look again to see the impact of not installing spare Ts right away. Can't be a big deal.
Thanks all.
Bob
Installing spare Tees really has nothing to do with the role of the terminators. If you can conveniently leave the Tee out until needed, then there is noting to go wrong. But I also thing that installing the Tees with caps is just fine too, provided they are in a protected location.

As for termination, it plays a vital role in creating clean, clear electrical signals on the wires, but they don't change the speed of anything.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:37   #10

I think I'll continue with the plan to put in a few T's (with caps) to allow easy addition for a few components in the near future. Specifically I will be adding a 3G radar system once I get the basic sailing and navigation instruments up and running.
Cheers
Bob
Old 08-02-2017, 15:18   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

There is no problem with the T's when you cap them. I have plenty spare ports on T's as well as the 4-port Maretron "hubs".
You must have termination done right. It gets tricky with masthead sensors and/or sensors with built-in terminators. Check with an Ohm meter.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:06   #12

Boat: Contest 40

Just a quick point, any radar you buy will connect directly to your MFD over an ethernet type cable(or an ethernet hub), and not into your N2K backbone. The N2K network isn't fast enough to transmit radar images.
teddythetwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddythetwig View Post
Just a quick point, any radar you buy will connect directly to your MFD over an ethernet type cable(or an ethernet hub), and not into your N2K backbone. The N2K network isn't fast enough to transmit radar images.
Absolutely. I do realize that. I did not mean to imply that the radar would be connected to the N2K system. I realize that it uses Ethernet. So does the WiFi-1 device and when I put in the radar I"ll have to reconfigure that connection to the Zeus2 via an Ethernet switch. I will probably also add some instrument readouts and maybe a second Zeus2 when I shuffle these bits around and then I will open up the closed T connectors in the N2K network. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
There is no problem with the T's when you cap them. I have plenty spare ports on T's as well as the 4-port Maretron "hubs".
You must have termination done right. It gets tricky with masthead sensors and/or sensors with built-in terminators. Check with an Ohm meter.
Please elaborate. I will have a built in terminator in the wind transducer and install an inline terminator at the other end of the backbone. What, exactly do I have to check other than that the connection is tight?
Old 09-02-2017, 08:21   #15

Boat: Contest 40

Quote:
Absolutely. I do realize that. I did not mean to imply that the radar would be connected to the N2K system. I realize that it uses Ethernet. So does the WiFi-1 device and when I put in the radar I"ll have to reconfigure that connection to the Zeus2 via an Ethernet switch. I will probably also add some instrument readouts and maybe a second Zeus2 when I shuffle these bits around and then I will open up the closed T connectors in the N2K network. Sorry for the confusion.
Hehe no need for apologies, I just wanted to clarify for posterity's sake(I've spent a lot of time reading old threads and trying to figure out what is correct vs not)

From what I understand, almost all N2K masthead instruments have built in terminating resistors.
teddythetwig is offline   Reply With Quote