Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2021, 03:50   #1

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: I’m anti AIS. BUT......

Vesper 8000xb ais / iPad and Furuno dsrw4 or 1620.

Probably the cheapest way to do what you want without diy electronics.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 05:54   #2

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

If you're not planning on transmitting AIS all the time, you might consider a radar transponder instead. It will paint an enhanced target on the radar screens of the other vessels, like a racon buoy, and alert you that there's a vessel in radar range.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...118&id=2025506
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 05:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I want to be able to doze off and have an electronic means of helping with vessel proximity alerts.

To my understanding, radar and AIS are our only current way of doing this, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
If you're not planning on transmitting AIS all the time, you might consider a radar transponder instead. It will paint an enhanced target on the radar screens of the other vessels, like a racon buoy, and alert you that there's a vessel in radar range.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...118&id=2025506
I offered an alternative, but it didn't seem to generate any discussion. I was curious why it didn't rate consideration, because this is a method that I believe more reliably achieves your safety aims, while eliminating the need to broadcast all your information.
Old 17-12-2021, 13:13   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I offered an alternative, but it didn't seem to generate any discussion. I was curious why it didn't rate consideration, because this is a method that I believe more reliably achieves your safety aims, while eliminating the need to broadcast all your information.

I thought your RADAR transponder (reflector) idea perhaps very useful. But also just another tool in the box, not 100% effective.

FWIW, around here I'm guessing 99% of boats we see do not transmit AIS... and a significant percentage, perhaps closer to 75%?, do not have RADAR... so neither of those are perfect either.

-Chris
Old 17-12-2021, 14:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I thought your RADAR transponder (reflector) idea perhaps very useful. But also just another tool in the box, not 100% effective.

FWIW, around here I'm guessing 99% of boats we see do not transmit AIS... and a significant percentage, perhaps closer to 75%?, do not have RADAR... so neither of those are perfect either.

-Chris
Good point, but generally the boats without radar are just boats - ships have and keep the radar on. At a certain size they're required to have redundant radar systems. Fishing vessels will still keep the radar on, even when they turn off the AIS.

Downside it doesn't give you the "where and how far", but if the idea is to wake you up, so that you can take a good look, it would definitely do the trick. I wouldn't trust mARPA to pick up contacts reliably without human input, and even when it should work AIS sometimes just doesn't; I wouldn't trust it on its own.
Old 16-12-2021, 06:19   #6

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Commercial Captains and crews have enough to do trying to get from point A to B while using AIS, good communication and prudent watches.
So YOU find some aspects of AIS irritating? Really? Interesting.
You choose to take “cat naps” ? OK ...When you get run over, be a gentleman and please go down with your ship.
The problem is that the manatees are not always on a nice steel commercial vessel which can run you over with some paint or prop damage. They have an aluminum yacht and while it will probably sink a lot of plastic toys, it might get dented...Now they have to fish your carcass out of the drink, use cold beer and frozen pizza on you till the medical examiner begins dissection.
Waste cold beer on someone who wants to sail without AIS.

If you want to sail with no AIS some itty bitty plastic toy...have at it.
Just don’t ask anyone to risk their life saving you. BUT..unfortunately...
We are Legally obligated to do so. A fact which does not change our opinion of you. And you can fill in the blanks.
The manatee crew are trained professional mariners who use every available technology and proper watchkeeping to avoid injuring others.
They respect not just the letter of the law, but the work of all those who continue to improve safety at sea. AIS is just such an improvement. Your choice to not transmit speaks volumes about you.
Merry Christmas and a safe New Year.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 13:58   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Your post makes me not want to get it AT ALL.

I used to think you were a decent guy. That was trash.

Plus I ASKED WHAT HARDWARE I COULD USE TO HAVE A DECENT TRANSPONDER AND RADAR SETUP SO I COULD HAVE A PROXIMITY ALARM.

Are you encased in ice up there? It would seem the cranium of the manatee froze over solid. Very dense.

Or maybe you don’t know what a transponder is? Either way, the manatee cranium seems dense as can be from all the ice this year.

This post is so objectionable and such a personal attack, I should report it. Shame on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Commercial Captains and crews have enough to do trying to get from point A to B while using AIS, good communication and prudent watches.
So YOU find some aspects of AIS irritating? Really? Interesting.
You choose to take “cat naps” ? OK ...When you get run over, be a gentleman and please go down with your ship.
The problem is that the manatees are not always on a nice steel commercial vessel which can run you over with some paint or prop damage. They have an aluminum yacht and while it will probably sink a lot of plastic toys, it might get dented...Now they have to fish your carcass out of the drink, use cold beer and frozen pizza on you till the medical examiner begins dissection.
Waste cold beer on someone who wants to sail without AIS.
See ...the test for narcissistic behavior and pathology is simple...it’s all about what they want. That is how they justify their behavior. ME, ME, ME.
Selfish.
Self centered.
Immature.
If you want to sail with no AIS some itty bitty plastic toy...have at it.
Just don’t ask anyone to risk their life saving you. BUT..unfortunately...
We are Legally obligated to do so. A fact which does not change our opinion of you. And you can fill in the blanks.
The manatee crew are trained professional mariners who use every available technology and proper watchkeeping to avoid injuring others.
They respect not just the letter of the law, but the work of all those who continue to improve safety at sea. AIS is just such an improvement. Your choice to not transmit speaks volumes about you.
Merry Christmas and a safe New Year.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 14:03   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABJ87 View Post

Thank you! I will look these up!
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 18:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABJ87 View Post

yep. good system. bang for the buck. get waterproof case for iPad. iPhone for backup
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais