Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2024, 22:51   #1

Boat: Jeanneau, SO51
Post How to clean a female connector, Windprobe up on the mast

Hi

My wind st60 raymarine instrument doesnt work. I have isolated the problem in the connector of the windprobe. It was dirty with green stuff in one pin

I managed to clean the windprobe male connector, but still not working as I suspect, the water got into the female connector, up in the mast. Water was going doing to this point

How can I clean the female connector:
* Anyone knows a chemical product to remove the green stuff without using
mechanical cleaning?. Something presented as gel to leave there and wait a while?
* Or a mini-tiny tool to do so , with metalic brushes and suitable to use in a portable drill?
* Of course I used contact cleaner or wd40 with presure, but doest work. In general it doesnt work if the green stuff is consistent, only way I know is to use a brush, mechanical way. but this is tiny place
* Maybe one kind of sand tool, small one, like for the nails?

In general, everybody who has a connector dirty problem , what they do, keeping in mind that in that case the connector is up in the mast, so I can´t use certain ways to approach the work

Thanks a lot
CombatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 00:03   #2

Boat: Farr 43`
Re: How to clean a female connector, Windprobe up on the mast

Method 1:
vinegar works well on green stuff.
Use the male connector as an application tool.
Connect and disconnect a few times then spray with contact cleaner.

Method 2:
Replace masthead unit with a wireless model.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 08:35   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatDiver View Post
How can I clean the female connector
1) Pipe cleaner. Available at craft stores. Put it in a battery drill, dip in cleaning compound of some kind if desired, and clean.

2) McMaster-Carr has wire brushes that will fit various size round holes. https://www.mcmaster.com/products/wi...ube-brushes-9/

3) Auto parts stores sometimes have small wire brushes if you ask.

4) Sometimes you can curl up some 600 grit sandpaper and fit it inside a connector.

5) You can use a drill bit as a sort of scraper.

6) You can use a triangular sewing needle, the kind for sails or whipping ends of rope, as a sort of scraper. Either cut in half so you can use the edges of the triangle or use the eye end by holding the pointy end in a vise grip.

7) Sometimes you can use a scrap of stranded wire as a sort of brush. Strip the end a little and cut or fold away strands as needed to make it fit. Leave most of the insulation on to hold the strands together. Use by hand or in a drill chuck.

Ordinary chassis grease works well for sealing the connector once you're done
Old 18-03-2024, 08:45   #4

I have used Naval Jelly which is acidic. Leave on for 5-10 minutes, brush the contacts with a small dental brush or pipe cleaner etc, while the jelly is in there and rinse off.
There are tiny machinists files which are handy to have around anyway.
A tiny drill bit may be useful.

Either way you are likely losing some of the plating on your contacts. But hopefully can get it working.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 09:39   #5

Boat: Tartan 37 #288

Additionally, check the female connector for proper contact with the male pin. It's not unusual to for it be distorted as a result of corrosion or aggressive cleaning.

Carefully insert a probe, pin, needle, or object similar in size to the male pin and compare the drag between each of the contacts. You may need to disassemble the connector and slightly bend the contacts to regain proper contact pressure.
abroadreachtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 12:30   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If you get it to work or buy a replacement, remember to use dielectric grease liberally to prevent this in the future

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 16:40   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

The small round brushes from Mc master car, work well. I also use a set of tip cleaners for a ocy/acetylene torch. You don't need to use a drill just rotate and slide in and out by hand then a spray contact cleaner.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 17:20   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Tip cleaners for acetylene torch work great for this! Dielectric grease then put back together
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 18:00   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

DeoxIT D5 is the goto cleaning product for mating type connectors. It used widely in the aerospace and professional audio industries. While CAIG make a variety of variants of this product, you really only need a spray can of the D5 for most applications. Use it is small amounts and it last for years. Lightly spray both connectors, wait a few minutes, exercise the contacts a few times, give it another light spray and 99.9% the contacts are clean.

As mentioned upthread, once the circuit is working, use dielectric grease to stop the problem from reoccurring.

https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 02:18   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
Tip cleaners for acetylene torch work great for this! Dielectric grease then put back together
Oxy Cutting Torch Tip Cleaner $2.85 CDN
Includes 13 reamers, in drill sizes from 49 [0.0730"φ] to 77 [0.0180"φ].
https://weld-ready.ca/products/tip-c...y-cutting-tips

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, wind