Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2023, 06:12   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
How connect raymarine radar quantum2 power connector to old analog 13pin connector

Hi all,
I want to replace my old Raymarine RD218 radar with a Raymarine Quantum 2 doppler.
I have the old 13 pin Raymarine radar connector on both ends. I only need the power from this as the data go over wifi. I need to avoid to route a new cable, impossible with mast up. Sure i am not the only one looking for a solution for that.
I see 2 Options
Option 1, i would prefer:
Is there an adapter cable avaliable old 13 pin to new power plug avaliable? If yes please a link where i can order?
Oprion 2:
or is there a cheap power cable for the Quantum2 avaliable i could "missuse" and cut the connectors of and join them on the old cable, just need plus/minus from the old.
Which can i use, links please

Thank you
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 19:37   #2

Re: How connect raymarine radar quantum2 power connector to old analog 13pin connecto

don't use wifi for the radar. run cables.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 04:48   #3

Re: How connect raymarine radar quantum2 power connector to old analog 13pin connecto

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
don't use wifi for the radar. run cables.
I have 6m with with 1 layer of canvas inbetween radar and chartplotter, that should work fine with Wifi. At least I give it a try before I start a moon landing operation and have to pull the mast to get the data cable in.
Just crossed ocean on my buddies dufour 44 and he has Axiom with Quantum Radar via wifi, worked fine and he has more distance inbetween.

Wonder why there is no ready available adapter old 13 pin plug to power.

This leaves me with Option 2:
The cheapest cable with a power connector I can find is Raymarine A80308 Quantum Radar-Adapterkabel, around 60Euro.
Means I need to cut the old and the A80308 and splice in the power connector. Then cut off the 13 pin plug at the other end and connect to power.
Old 19-04-2023, 08:51   #4

Boat: Oyster 485 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Hi all,
I want to replace my old Raymarine RD218 radar with a Raymarine Quantum 2 doppler.
I have the old 13 pin Raymarine radar connector on both ends. I only need the power from this as the data go over wifi. I need to avoid to route a new cable, impossible with mast up. Sure i am not the only one looking for a solution for that.
I see 2 Options
Option 1, i would prefer:
Is there an adapter cable avaliable old 13 pin to new power plug avaliable? If yes please a link where i can order?
Oprion 2:
or is there a cheap power cable for the Quantum2 avaliable i could "missuse" and cut the connectors of and join them on the old cable, just need plus/minus from the old.
Which can i use, links please

Thank you

Raymarine has an adapter that allows you to use the old cable. and not use the wifi. I found mine on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Raymarine-A80...s%2C199&sr=8-1

They have other adapters for other cable situations, just need to dig.
Takitimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 09:14   #5

The quanum2 has 2 cables. One is a data cable (HS) that you would not need if you're going wifi. The other is a power cable. I would think it would be easy to cut and connected to your old cable's power wires.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 20:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
The quanum2 has 2 cables. One is a data cable (HS) that you would not need if you're going wifi. The other is a power cable. I would think it would be easy to cut and connected to your old cable's power wires.
Exactly thats what i am going to do. Take adapter A30880 (cheapest way to get the power plug for the Quantum 2) and cut off cable with the power plug. Then take the old analog radar cable and cut the 13pin connector off on both ends. Then splice in the power plug to the radar and the other end connect to switched power. Job done.
Old 19-04-2023, 21:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takitimu View Post
Raymarine has an adapter that allows you to use the old cable. and not use the wifi. I found mine on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Raymarine-A80...s%2C199&sr=8-1

They have other adapters for other cable situations, just need to dig.
Thats the adapter i am gonna order and cut off the power plug to radar, cheapest way to get 15cm cable and that power connector need to connect to radar
There is no adapter avaliable for data as this old cable contains beside the 4 power wires (twice plus/minus) only 9 high resistance cable wirh 45 and 160ohm which is not usable for digital data.
Need to root a new data cable or connect to through wifi.
I have the old analog 13pin connector and cable as i have RD218 , not the old digital one used for RD218HD.

Tags
marine, power, radar, raymarine