Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2023, 06:12   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Lifeaboard
Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Posts: 3,291
How connect raymarine radar quantum2 power connector to old analog 13pin connector

Hi all,
I want to replace my old Raymarine RD218 radar with a Raymarine Quantum 2 doppler.
I have the old 13 pin Raymarine radar connector on both ends. I only need the power from this as the data go over wifi. I need to avoid to route a new cable, impossible with mast up. Sure i am not the only one looking for a solution for that.
I see 2 Options
Option 1, i would prefer:
Is there an adapter cable avaliable old 13 pin to new power plug avaliable? If yes please a link where i can order?
Oprion 2:
or is there a cheap power cable for the Quantum2 avaliable i could "missuse" and cut the connectors of and join them on the old cable, just need plus/minus from the old.
Which can i use, links please

Thank you
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 19:37   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 4,705
Re: How connect raymarine radar quantum2 power connector to old analog 13pin connecto

don't use wifi for the radar. run cables.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 04:48   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Lifeaboard
Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Posts: 3,291
Re: How connect raymarine radar quantum2 power connector to old analog 13pin connecto

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
don't use wifi for the radar. run cables.
I have 6m with with 1 layer of canvas inbetween radar and chartplotter, that should work fine with Wifi. At least I give it a try before I start a moon landing operation and have to pull the mast to get the data cable in.
Just crossed ocean on my buddies dufour 44 and he has Axiom with Quantum Radar via wifi, worked fine and he has more distance inbetween.

Wonder why there is no ready available adapter old 13 pin plug to power.

This leaves me with Option 2:
The cheapest cable with a power connector I can find is Raymarine A80308 Quantum Radar-Adapterkabel, around 60Euro.
Means I need to cut the old and the A80308 and splice in the power connector. Then cut off the 13 pin plug at the other end and connect to power.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 08:51   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2023
Boat: Oyster 485 48'
Posts: 42
Re: How connect raymarine radar quantum2 power connector to old analog 13pin connecto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Hi all,
I want to replace my old Raymarine RD218 radar with a Raymarine Quantum 2 doppler.
I have the old 13 pin Raymarine radar connector on both ends. I only need the power from this as the data go over wifi. I need to avoid to route a new cable, impossible with mast up. Sure i am not the only one looking for a solution for that.
I see 2 Options
Option 1, i would prefer:
Is there an adapter cable avaliable old 13 pin to new power plug avaliable? If yes please a link where i can order?
Oprion 2:
or is there a cheap power cable for the Quantum2 avaliable i could "missuse" and cut the connectors of and join them on the old cable, just need plus/minus from the old.
Which can i use, links please

Thank you

Raymarine has an adapter that allows you to use the old cable. and not use the wifi. I found mine on Amazon.


https://www.amazon.com/Raymarine-A80...s%2C199&sr=8-1


They have other adapters for other cable situations, just need to dig.
Takitimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 09:14   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 691
Re: How connect raymarine radar quantum2 power connector to old analog 13pin connecto

The quanum2 has 2 cables. One is a data cable (HS) that you would not need if you're going wifi. The other is a power cable. I would think it would be easy to cut and connected to your old cable's power wires.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 20:59   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Lifeaboard
Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Posts: 3,291
Re: How connect raymarine radar quantum2 power connector to old analog 13pin connecto

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
The quanum2 has 2 cables. One is a data cable (HS) that you would not need if you're going wifi. The other is a power cable. I would think it would be easy to cut and connected to your old cable's power wires.
Exactly thats what i am going to do. Take adapter A30880 (cheapest way to get the power plug for the Quantum 2) and cut off cable with the power plug. Then take the old analog radar cable and cut the 13pin connector off on both ends. Then splice in the power plug to the radar and the other end connect to switched power. Job done.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 21:05   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Lifeaboard
Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Posts: 3,291
Re: How connect raymarine radar quantum2 power connector to old analog 13pin connecto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takitimu View Post
Raymarine has an adapter that allows you to use the old cable. and not use the wifi. I found mine on Amazon.


https://www.amazon.com/Raymarine-A80...s%2C199&sr=8-1


They have other adapters for other cable situations, just need to dig.
Thats the adapter i am gonna order and cut off the power plug to radar, cheapest way to get 15cm cable and that power connector need to connect to radar
There is no adapter avaliable for data as this old cable contains beside the 4 power wires (twice plus/minus) only 9 high resistance cable wirh 45 and 160ohm which is not usable for digital data.
Need to root a new data cable or connect to through wifi.
I have the old analog 13pin connector and cable as i have RD218 , not the old digital one used for RD218HD.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
marine, power, radar, raymarine

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: WTS Raymarine RD218 2kW Analog radar radarlove265 General Classifieds (no boats) 0 15-04-2020 07:24
Problems with 4kw analog radar bobs Marine Electronics 2 10-09-2019 23:10
For Sale: Raymarine RD424 Analog Radome Scanner Beausoleil Classifieds Archive 2 31-05-2013 16:33
Want To Buy: Raymarine RD218 (analog) and cable Bonnijean Classifieds Archive 3 01-04-2013 16:43
For Sale: RayMarine Sea Talk Analog Wind Display - Used geoffschultz Classifieds Archive 0 17-11-2010 10:23

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:20.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.