1 year or less 12 8.89%
1-5 years 28 20.74%
5-10 32 23.70%
10-15 30 22.22%
15-20 22 16.30%
20+ 18 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2019, 16:34   #31

Re: How Old Are Your Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
When longevity becomes really short, it translates into poor reliability and then safety concerns.
When warranties are really so mired in small print that they become near valueless then we have a problem.

You would think that there would be a lot of background consumer knowledge about reliability versus cost, but I guess advertising budgets swamp all that. We indirectly pay for that advertising as well.
Maybe we are expecting too much from modern electronics, particularly in such a harsh environment. Also nearly all the devices are coupled to transducers which may be mechanical or not - another source of problems.
Being a full time pessimist, I have stuck with OPEN CPN with CM93 charts and I run them on a couple of laptops in case one fails. I use a very old Coursemaster 250 Autopilot (ancient Australian model) and I have discovered it's only apparent failing (the motor drive power transistors which died when the 12 VDC regulator failed and fed it 17 VDC). I now carry a spare set of drive transistors. The marine Gods dictate that if you carry a spare then you will never have any further problems.
My depth sounder screen died but I still have the original (1978) 200 khz transducer. 0ver 40 years afloat I have run aground twice, but in both cases it was simply because I ignored clearly available data. Fortunately only with a damaged ego.
So I guess that being conservative regarding changes is probably the best way to go. However, if it's More Shiny Toys the Better, then the playing field is yours.
I was also somewhat perplexed to discover that no one seems to understand semaphore flag signals anymore. Had to buy one of those new fangled radio things.
I also take directions from the wife, irrespective of what any instruments imply. It is my best fallback safety procedure.
Many depth units run with a 200khz transducer, I replaced my old sigma one with a recent Simrad Head unit, works fine.

Also replaced the screen recently on a 7002 Raymarine Pilot, not that hard a job and works fine.

A lot of this stuff is repairable, have had no luck with Raymarine autopilot computer units though. The local Ray guys will look at them, but they write them off too rather than repair them.

Thinking of trying a Ray wheelpilot unit on a Type 1 linear drive using a Simple H Bridge, just for fun.

I like to run all my electronics as stand alone units, seems most of the upgrading comes from connectivity issues, and I like the redundancy factor as well.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 06:04   #32

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

For deliveries, and my own personal backup, I still use a garmin etrex (yellow) about 20 years old. I actually have 2 of them, to back each other up. They still work, reliable, long battery life, waterproof. Good to have when everything else goes south. These got me across the atlantic ocean, a few laps of Lake Ontario, and 500 geocaches.

I also have a pair of uniden atlantis handheld VHF radios. The feature of these 10 year old radios is that they have a AA battery pack in addition to the rechargeable battery. So again, when everything else fails, I can pop in the AAs and have a working radio.

Its not electronic, but I also use a Plastimo Iris handheld compass. Possibly the best handheld compass ever made, by a huge margin. Great for taking actual bearings and real fixes while sailing. No batteries required.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 11:08   #33
cruiser

I’m in Italy and just removed a working Furuno 24 inch RSB 0071 analog radar. If anyone wants it, let me know asap. It’s yours free, just pay shipping and handling/packaging or pick it up. It’s complete with wiring included.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 14:17   #34

Boat: Riva 48

I went through a couple of upgrade and downgrade cycles, often exchanging units on eBay.

Chartotter: Garmin DV44 (super reliable), Ray SL70 (no charts), Ray RL70, Ray C80 (no nmea2000), Ray E80 (power consumption too high), Ray a65 (display too small), back to RL70 (best unit overall, low power, great layout, easy to use). I use the a65 as a glorified instrument display / 3D chart).

For me, the key problem with electronics today is the high cost of a decent display. For example, to get the equivalent vertical orientation of an RL70, one needs to get a horizontal 12” display which costs $3,000 and it is too big to install in a small cockpit. Otherwise, I think people should upgrade more often.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 15:38   #35

Just replaced our IMI Combi system last yr! 35+ yrs old ! If the mast head unit was still repairable it, the system would still be on the boat ! I will say the new i70 uses a lot less power, but !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 15:38   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I voted for our big boat.

2006 she had new electronics installed C80 with radar and ST 60 instruments.

The C80 has failed 3 times. Last summer RM advised me they were going to cease supporting the C80. I found a couple of C70 units that I think I can cannibalize to keep the C80 going or just live with a smaller display.

Frankly I find an iPhone a better nav device than the C80. But I need a radar display. I have a spare radome so I think I’m going to be stuck with the C70/80 for a long time.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 17:55   #37

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It occurs to me that the poll isn’t going to provide real useful answers because it doesn't have a way to tell if they are only X years old because the boat is that age.
Or a way to break it down by category for upgrades that people
do as needed / as affordable.

Nav lights
Nav equip (gps, maybe chart plotter, etc.)
Safety (radar, depth sounder, fwd looking sonar, etc.)
Communications (VHF, HF, Sat links, etc)
Recharging systems (motor/solar/wind/troll. etc.).

Heck, I've probably missed some but you get the point.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 20:03   #38

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
old heathkit depth sounder, 47 years old. Still my primary

Is that the old one with Nixie tube readout? I built one for my Dad’s ski boat back then.

As for my boat instruments, the Simrad CR44 and associated IS-15 instruments and radar are 16 years old now. Doubt I will be able to hold out upgrades too much longer.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 20:04   #39

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
How Old Are Your Electronics

I fully equipped my Hunter 356 in the spring of 2003 with RL70C Pathfinder Chart-plotter radar, sonar, belowdecks Raymarine 6000 AutoPilot and the standard Raymarine ST 60 instruments. All are still working. I installed a handheld wireless autopilot control in 2007 and in 2013 I installed a Digital Yacht IAIS unit receive only. I use my IPhone and IPad in conjunction with the radar/chartplotter using the WiFi function of the IAIS unit to display on INavX. In 2014 I thought my RL70 C had died on the last day of a 6 month cruise from KY Lake to Florida and return in 2014 and bought a used unit from a Fellow 356 Owner on Hunter Owners.com forum. I got ready to install it, just for fun decided to turn on the old unit and check one more time and the screen came back up! It’s still running and I have a backup. I’ve priced replacement electronics several times thinking this will be the last season, but they continue to live. I would like to emulate my chartplotter on my IPad with both AIS and radar. At this point, I won’t change them out until it dies. This is year 17 and going strong. I don’t trust the latest electronics to last as long as the original,unitsI have. Of course, the $25,000 in 2003 is now about $6500. Costs have come way down, but I think the imported electronics may not last as long. Since I’m 72, it might not make too much difference.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 06:34   #40

Age doesnt matter until it doesnt work. As long you know how to use it and it serves the purpose it doesnt matter how old it is.

Until it doesnt work - then you will find a lack of people who know how to repair it and a lack of parts to repair it with. "its obsolete technology"

The new stuff is very good but its also more compicated and more expensive. its also generally very reliable

Mine is 5 year old Garmin GPS and radar, 1 year old Icom VHF and 15 year old Simrad autopilot. all work fine
Bbolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 07:04   #41

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

Ours were original from the 2003 build. Depth sounder flatlined a few years ago, same year the windex crumbled from UV exposure and the autopilot began doing crazy Ivan’s and couldn’t hold a course in flat water under motor, even after replacing the fluxgate compass.

My choice was to replace with dated difficult to find transducers or bite the bullet. Chomp- Replaced it all with newer raymarine, instruments, stng backbone, autopilot all around an e7d display which I do not especially like. Kept the wheel pilot connections and motor.

I regret going raymarine and wish I’d gone Garmin. Has better designed interfaces, I think their aircraft instrument experience helps to keep clutter and workload down.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 07:26   #42

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I don't think people put enough value on electronics (and other kit like sails, dinghy etc..) when buying a used or older boat.

I see so many ads proudly displaying electronics from antiquity. Hamster in a wheel attached to the helm as the autopilot. RADAR with sheets, cockerel on the mast as a wind vane etc.. Updating it all would cost a minimum of €5.000 and of course nothing is connected.

On of the reasons I ended up buying my boat was that the previous owner had added mostly modern electronics, solar panels, chargers etc.. Ok nothing was connected to each other but it was a start.

That being said, now thing are getting on a bit. The MFD (first released in 2012/13) is slow, the depth sounder is analogue, and I've already replaced the autopilot and radio.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 07:33   #43

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Anyone with a new Garmin plotter know if it still confines you to proprietary charts, or whether you can load others? One negative I've always had about my older Garmin's, but maybe this has changed.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 07:37   #44

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

B&G Hercules 390 base sailing instruments-40 yrs and working (with upgrades and maint, see below)
Upgrades and Maint: B&G Hercules CPU 390, B&G 20/20, B&G Hornet Sailing Monitor, 25 yrs, working. B&G MFD's: several replaced over the years. B&G C-Type masthead unit, replaced with used, two years ago.

Lowrance LMS350A GPS/Sounder Plotter, 25 yrs and working, as are 196 & 100hz transducers

West Marine AIS1000, est. 15 years old. working.

Ray Marine X-5 GP4000 Autopilot 9 years. working.

Pactor PTCIIe 19 years old, failing now but usable.

Standard Horizon Digital depth sounder and 200hz transducer (newer) 30 yrs and working

Standard Horizon Matrix VHF 7 years, working.

ICOM M700 30 yrs, working.

Pioneer car stereo head unit, Boss 600x2 Amp, Yamaha outdoor speakers, several boss indoor speakers, age varies. Stereo is considered to be a consumable item, replace as needed.

Dell Inspiron 15" Win10 and OpenCPN. Computer is six years old. I have two hot spares.

SailRacer Bluetooth on-deck hand held tactical racing software and instrument display interfaced with B&G running on Rugged T-7 tablet, 2 years.

The main component of our instrument systems is the B&G Hercules system which dates from 1979. It is functionally excellent and we keep it because to replace it with a new system having all the functions we rely on would be at least $8000, probably more. It does however require a lot of repairing and servicing, which I do with scarce used parts I scrounge for. The Lowrance unit has suffered a burned out LCD which I have replaced with used. If I couldn't work on these units myself we'd probably have newer stuff, since few shops will work on them now and new parts don't exist. The rest of our instrument system is basically problem free.

BTW, anyone willing to sell used B&G Hercules components, please PM me.

Oh, And I am building a used Hercules 2000 system for future use, and have it about 50%, so I'm, interested in those parts too.
Old 24-05-2019, 08:58   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The age of electronics seem to be a big issue to some people. Since mine are 18 years old and still working I wondered what the real life experience of people are. So a new poll is born.

BTW I radar doesn't work. But then it only sometimes worked 9 years ago.

Keep your old equipment they where made to last. That goes for everything.

As for electronic. Autopilot, Sailing instrument lasted 3 months $7000 for both of them. Replacement of sailing equipment lasted a year. Autopilot still doing ok. Beside the hydro pump who did quit a year later. $700 for a pump. Manufacturer to cheap to put a 20 cent gasket between the electric motor body and the brush plate. A drop of water and the brush assembly corrode.
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics