Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2022, 15:13   #31

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: HF Radio -- Third Party Traffic

Not a "legal" claim. Just another case where the laws and regulations haven’t caught up with current technology. They ultimately found a way to accommodate VHF repeaters who lived on a specific frequency(s), and I’m sure they’ll find a way to solve this one, too. I can remember a long time ago when MMSN would sometimes have to move off 14300 because somebody was using it before the net started. But that doesn’t work with completely automated stations.

I was mostly trying to soften/explain the earlier complaint ."This whole issue got raised because certain US amateurs resented sharing their band segments with Winlink and other digital services. They have done everything they can to get rid of digital communications. They constantly complain to the FCC and search for ways to restrict traffic."

These issues, like reciprocal licensing and third-party restrictions aren’t new.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 15:28   #32

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Dockhead,

You could sit for and get a Danish "D" class license. This gives you a call sign and allows you to use ham radio bands "under the supervision of a licensed ham radio operator". Of course - who's to check this? and if you are communicating with a regular licensed ham radio operator - is that supervision? Does the "supervisor" have to sit in the same room etc etc etc.

The "D" class test is about 15 questions (if I recall correctly) and while I know you don't speak Danish, these are so easy yo can simply memorize the answers from the sample test.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 16:44   #33

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

A better place to post questions about Winlink is https://groups.google.com/g/winlink-programs-group . There you will get an authoritative reply, and you might point out a deficiency in the system to those in charge.

Try pasting "third" or "prohibited" in the search box to see earlier emails on those subjects. You can see the individuals in charge elaborate on the rules, explain special cases, and make suggested changes to the system.

Note that non-amateur-licensed-cruiser-users of the system are a problem either real or imagined, so include your name and call sign and expect to be checked with any post you make.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hf radio, radio