Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 09:05   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
HELP from computer gurus

I have a Dell Venue 11 pro tablet and an older Dell Inspiron laptop.

I was googling marine beams for their LED lights on both machines and both came up with the appropriate site. What I don't understand is why the laptop will connect to the site while the tablet just presents a blank window. Am I doing something wrong? This rather bothers me.

TIA

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:21   #2

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Re: HELP from computer gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I have a Dell Venue 11 pro tablet and an older Dell Inspiron laptop.

I was googling marine beams for their LED lights on both machines and both came up with the appropriate site. What I don't understand is why the laptop will connect to the site while the tablet just presents a blank window. Am I doing something wrong? This rather bothers me.

TIA

Rich
Could be that the website is not compatible with the browser on your tablet. Most all websites are written for IE and will work fine with Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc. But some do not.

What browser are you using on your tablet?
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:33   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Its possible that the website is running adobe flash and oddly enough the latest android OS no longer supports flash out of the box. Seems android dropped licensing of flash with the latest versions. Adobe wanted too much money.

But you can install an older archived version of flash from Adobe
Archived Flash Player versions
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:42   #4
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Could be that the website is not compatible with the browser on your tablet. Most all websites are written for IE and will work fine with Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc. But some do not.

What browser are you using on your tablet?

Both devices are running Firefox. I tried using IE but with same results. I can get to the site using the laptop but I'm really curious why the tablet won't go there.

Rich
Old 10-04-2014, 10:21   #5

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Both devices are running Firefox. I tried using IE but with same results. I can get to the site using the laptop but I'm really curious why the tablet won't go there.

Rich

That Dell Venue 11 pro tablet runs Windows 8 and should have no problem with Flash. Could be a security setting preventing the site from loading properly. Add the site to the trusted sites zone in IE and it should override any other setting.

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.
  2. Navigate to the website that you want to add to a specific security zone.
  3. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
  4. Click the Security tab, and then click a security zone (Local intranet, Trusted sites, or Restricted sites).
  5. Click Sites.
  6. If you clicked Local intranet in step 4, click Advanced.
  7. The website should be shown in the Add this website to the zone field. Click Add.
    If the site is not a secure site (HTTPS), clear the Require server verification (https for all sites in this zone check box.
  8. Click Close, and then click OK (or click OK twice if you clicked Local intranet in step 4).
I would not recommend leaving the site in the trusted sites zone indefinitely. Just use this to test that the site will load and then find the setting that may be blocking.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:16   #6
Eternal Member

Thanks Tim,

I tried what you suggested with mixed results. I suspect I still have bugs in this tablet. I'll need to contact Dell Support AGAIN. There seems to be a problem(s) interfacing with the mobile keyboard as well as other issues.

Rich
Old 10-04-2014, 15:01   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Flash player is embedded in Windows 8 but for IE only. To use flash with firefox You have to install flash again. (its a feature, not a bug) Below is the link to the flash download.

If you tried it with IE, was firefox still up and running. Might try running IE after closing firefox and see what happens

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/f...ash_player.exe
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 16:12   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Even if the OS is the same and the browser is "the same" there are a number of security options that can block sites, and the odds are the two devices are set up differently. You'd have to step through every setup preference in both, side by side, to compare and see.

It is NOT UNUSUAL for web sites to simply "not work" these days, even in the top browsers. Too many web site designers have gotten bit by the "pretty pretty shiny shiny" bug and they wind up using options that just aren't universally supported. Or secure.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 16:50   #9
Eternal Member

I thank you all,

I still do not have a solution but at least I have some avenues to explore. I like the Dell tablet but there seem to be some serious issues with the mobile keyboard.

This is the second keyboard and it is still acting erratic.

Rich