Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2020, 14:17   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
HD TV and Antenna

What sort of range are you folks getting with straight HD TV and Antenna?

I plan to mount an antenna on the stern railing maybe
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 14:21   #2

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: HD TV and Antenna

Also, please specify what antenna, and how high mounted. I'm interested as well.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 15:47   #3

Boat: Bayliner, 4588, 45'

My reception depends on surrounding area. If in the clear I get solid reception out to 50 miles or so. I can be in Gloucester, MA and get all the Boston stations - many broadcast from Needham, MA.

On the other hand, on my slip in Newington, NH channel 8.1 ABC fades in an out - 52 miles. But 6.1 - NBC is solid and tower is within 2 miles of ABC.

I use a discontinued amplified omni directional antenna on the radar arch - 12' above water.

Try tvfool.com. You can map signal strength. It is more about that than the antenna you use.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 16:49   #4

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I'm on the hard near Glouster, Va. I have an omni directional antenna on my (short) mast. I'm near a big metal building and a cheap little flat ant. from a big box store works better than the one on the mast. Reception really depends on where you are and terrain around. Anchored a ways from shore with low lying shoreline near a good size city one can get most major networks and many minor channels. When not near a big city the channels can be rather limited. You can get a Spanish Church service almost anywhere on the Intracoastal Waterway. Most places you can get Channels that have old reruns and old movies.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 17:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
I'm on the hard near Glouster, Va. I have an omni directional antenna on my (short) mast. I'm near a big metal building and a cheap little flat ant. from a big box store works better than the one on the mast. Reception really depends on where you are and terrain around. Anchored a ways from shore with low lying shoreline near a good size city one can get most major networks and many minor channels. When not near a big city the channels can be rather limited. You can get a Spanish Church service almost anywhere on the Intracoastal Waterway. Most places you can get Channels that have old reruns and old movies.
So how do you think my reception would be say if I was anchored on the Severn River up Mobjack Bay or near the York River or up near Deltaville with an indoor antenna or one mounted on the stern railing

Basically I'm asking what channels you can get ?
Old 20-01-2020, 19:04   #6

On Mobjack I got at least 5 channels a couple of years ago. I can't remember specificly but I think it was several more. Sorry I can't be more specific .
Old 20-01-2020, 19:08   #7

Just get one of the cheap $10 ant. from a big box or wally world and give it a try. I think the one I'm using now was $5 - $7. Stick it in a cabin window and see what you get.
Old 20-01-2020, 19:21   #8

Been using Omni from Radio Shack. Mounted to the stern arch, right at the aft edge.

The reception is not ideal as some local channels fade in and out when the boat is turning on the mooring with the tide. But it's decent enough for news or an occasional game.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 03:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
Just get one of the cheap $10 ant. from a big box or wally world and give it a try. I think the one I'm using now was $5 - $7. Stick it in a cabin window and see what you get.
That was pretty much the plan but thanks for giving me an idea what to expect.

I'm using an HD TV as a computer monitor so thought I may as well use it as a TV also.

I also just saw where some have DVD players so I'll probably return the cheap one I just bought for one of those plus with better resolution
Old 21-01-2020, 03:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Been using Omni from Radio Shack. Mounted to the stern arch, right at the aft edge.

The reception is not ideal as some local channels fade in and out when the boat is turning on the mooring with the tide. But it's decent enough for news or an occasional game.
Thanks. Those are the type I've been seeing on other boats sometimes mounter on the mast
Old 21-01-2020, 05:03   #11

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
What sort of range are you folks getting with straight HD TV and Antenna?

I plan to mount an antenna on the stern railing maybe
It depends. With our 14" Glomex mounted approx 20' off the water, we can receive stations from as much as 50-55 miles away... but can also sometimes NOT see the station 9 miles away.

You can go to tvfool.com, or to the similar FCC tool, to predict what you can see from where. Direct line of sight, usually good; one deflection works sometimes. Two deflections, usually not so much.

-Chris
Old 21-01-2020, 06:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
It depends. With our 14" Glomex mounted approx 20' off the water, we can receive stations from as much as 50-55 miles away... but can also sometimes NOT see the station 9 miles away.

You can go to tvfool.com, or to the similar FCC tool, to predict what you can see from where. Direct line of sight, usually good; one deflection works sometimes. Two deflections, usually not so much.

-Chris
I'll check it out.

Thanks.
Old 21-01-2020, 09:27   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

I have info on my setup on my Pintrest page. In short I have a 12v NAXA HDTV and a Wineguard Freevision HDTV antenna. (Non-amplified.) I put it up on a telescoping boathook and have a converted 12 volt outlet to connect the cable. This way I can watch TV on the hook and do not need 110 outlets.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 09:37   #14

Boat: Lagoon 41 S2

I use my 36" vhf antenna mounted at the top of my mast (60' high). When I'm in Newport I get the three major networks and a dozen other channels. Works much better than a rail mounted omni directional tv antenna, and a lot less obtrusive.
Library70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 12:22   #15

Boat: Bristol 32

The best info is find an amplifier and an antenna with a rotor. These are mostly 110 volt so you may need an inverter. I sometimes get 100 channels off Sneads Ferry, NC. At anchor you have a swing so you will need to make adjustments . Happy viewing.
Captain Parry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna