Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2020, 13:14   #16

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.
Re: HD TV and Antenna

I gave up & just got a satellite box.
Now she can watch HER soapy where ever I pull up.
Happy wife --- happy life!
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 13:33   #17

I would suggest you get an antenna that is capable of both UHF and VHF reception. Most TV stations broadcast in the UHF range but some will use a high VHF frequency. Most the flat panel cheap antenna's receive both but may require changing the orientation. I had one that when it was vertical, it was optimized for UHF, when laying flat, it was VHF. Many of the cheaper mountable antenna's do not have high VHF reception. That may be why some people say they cannot get reception from a broadcast antenna only 9 miles away. Look up the frequency's for the stations you are looking to receive and then you will know.
BatEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 14:26   #18

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Parry View Post
The best info is find an amplifier and an antenna with a rotor. These are mostly 110 volt so you may need an inverter. I sometimes get 100 channels off Sneads Ferry, NC. At anchor you have a swing so you will need to make adjustments . Happy viewing.
The disadvantage of the directional ant. shows up at anchor. When docked they work great.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 15:47   #19

From experience here in Aus.....
I have a 12 VDC powered Glomex omni directional antenna at the masthead. It works really well. However ....
My masthead lights (tricolour and anchoring light) use LED festoon bulbs.
If these lights are switched on, the nearby antenna just simply does not work. I believe this is caused by the radiation from the festoon bulbs as the LED's are switched on and off repetitively to improve power efficiency. Happy to be corrected, but the problem is common to other boats around me in our marina. One catamaran owner has his antenna on the bimini but the masthead lights still stop the antenna from working correctly. However, we have learnt to live with this in the marina, but if you are moored and the anchor light is mandatory, then you may have a problem watching TV at night.
Maybe worth checking out if installing a TV antenna.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 04:02   #20

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatEng View Post
I would suggest you get an antenna that is capable of both UHF and VHF reception. Most TV stations broadcast in the UHF range but some will use a high VHF frequency. Most the flat panel cheap antenna's receive both but may require changing the orientation. I had one that when it was vertical, it was optimized for UHF, when laying flat, it was VHF. Many of the cheaper mountable antenna's do not have high VHF reception. That may be why some people say they cannot get reception from a broadcast antenna only 9 miles away. Look up the frequency's for the stations you are looking to receive and then you will know.

In our case, it's because of obstructions in the signal path. Our Glomex antenna is an amplified VHF/UHF model... as are most of the better ones that are sold as "TV antennas."

BTW, I'm told (by Glomex) that reception in a marina full of sailboat masts can also be problematic. I was in a marina full of sailboat masts at the time, and what he told me seemed to hold true... but I had no test equipment to prove that as cause-and-effect.

-Chris
Old 22-01-2020, 05:07   #21

I use both the flat plastic panel I bought from Walgreens for the broadcast of the low signal broadcast required by law for all television stations/cable stations/ etc. This very low frequency broadcasts in HD and is a seriously good quality picture. Just in my window it picks up 29 stations, though some days a few less.....the choices of what you watch kinda suck.

Then I have the Fire Stick. Way under $40 and if you can get WIFI you can get HULU for free, Popcorn Flix for free, YouTube for free, and Netflix for pocket change. So WIFI enabled is going to get you the best.

If your WIFI is working, like maybe you are in a marina or you have wifi thats usable non stop at one price (not streaming on your phone as that might spend the whole budget) do this........and its FREE......go to www.ustv247.tv and enjoy a full compliment of free cablevision including every station plus HBO. This is what we watched when overseas to watch US based programming.

So there ya go, Fire Stick will run it all, the whole family will be happy, and if thats not gonna work due to your location, then a $10.00 plastic antenna will pick up at least 50 miles and mine does pick up out to 84 and 118 miles out, but again the station selection is limited.
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 06:18   #22

Boat: S2 35C

I first started with a Radio Shack flat amplified antenna on a 10' plastic pole -about 5 stations. Next tried a Mohu flat amplified unit on the pole - slightly better. That got damaged so I found a new RCA Outdoor Yagi (unamplified) for $10 in a thrift store. I just lay it up on top of my sail cover and now get about 16 stations reliably.
duckpond49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna