Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2020, 08:33   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31
Getting crazy True and Apparent Wind Readings

(I posted this on Sailnet. But, activity seems to have disappeared on that site the past few months. Trying out CruiserForum today for the first time)

My AWS and TWS readings on my MFD sometimes show speeds of 600 to 700 kn. After an hour or two, it will revert back to the correct speeds. Does anyone have experience with this type of problem? Is it a software issue or likely due to the wind sensor or cabling? Everything has been working fine since I installed these a year ago. The problem just started this week. Turning everything on and off does not help. Also, going into the network menu on the MFD and refreshing devices does not help.

I will contact B&G next week. But, I figured I would post the problem on this forum and maybe get a solution.

MFD B&G Zues 3
B&G 508 Wind Sensor

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4071.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	229469  
FuneSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 08:39   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Getting crazy True and Apparent Wind Readings

Welcome to the forum, FuneSF.
Old 27-12-2020, 12:41   #3

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuneSF View Post
(I posted this on Sailnet. But, activity seems to have disappeared on that site the past few months. Trying out CruiserForum today for the first time)

My AWS and TWS readings on my MFD sometimes show speeds of 600 to 700 kn. After an hour or two, it will revert back to the correct speeds. Does anyone have experience with this type of problem? Is it a software issue or likely due to the wind sensor or cabling? Everything has been working fine since I installed these a year ago. The problem just started this week. Turning everything on and off does not help. Also, going into the network menu on the MFD and refreshing devices does not help.

I will contact B&G next week. But, I figured I would post the problem on this forum and maybe get a solution.

MFD B&G Zues 3
B&G 508 Wind Sensor

Thanks.
I have the same setup but haven't seen _that_ specific problem. What I would do, though, to make sure where the wonky data comes from: find the 508 in the device list and check the actual raw data that it's outputting. I don't remember where to do that in the Zeus3 (I guess there should be a place), but in the Triton2 it looks like in the attached pic.

If the 508 is outputting 600 knots of wind then my best guess is that it is not the cables, but rather the 508's chip might be damaged. That's just a guess, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-12-27 at 22.37.14.png
Views:	79
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	229476  
Old 27-12-2020, 17:35   #4

Thank you.

That was a helpful about checking where the data comes from. I did not know about that function.

I also noticed today that my COG figures are also all over the place. They are spinning around to all points of the compass. So, this problem is not isolated to the wind sending unit. It is most likely some type of software issue on the MFD. Hopefully, B&G will be able to provide a solution this week. Hopefully, I will not need to do a factory reset of everything.
Old 28-12-2020, 09:11   #5

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Have you checked the transducer that is providing boat speed? If you are using STW the paddle wheel me be getting obstructed due to growth then cleared as you travel. If using SOG then look at GPS source connection. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 09:19   #6

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuneSF View Post
Thank you.

That was a helpful about checking where the data comes from. I did not know about that function.

I also noticed today that my COG figures are also all over the place. They are spinning around to all points of the compass. So, this problem is not isolated to the wind sending unit. It is most likely some type of software issue on the MFD. Hopefully, B&G will be able to provide a solution this week. Hopefully, I will not need to do a factory reset of everything.
What is the data source of your COG reading, GPS?
Does your track show accurately on your ZEUS?
A Varying COG reading would cause True and Apparent wind calculations to vary.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 11:22   #7

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
What is the data source of your COG reading, GPS?
Does your track show accurately on your ZEUS?
A Varying COG reading would cause True and Apparent wind calculations to vary.

Apparent wind should not use any course or speed inputs, only the angle the vane is pointing and how fast the anemometer is spinning. If apparent wind is incorrect, then the problem is not with the COG, SOG or the GPS. It may be simply a bad connection, or the wind sensor or the MFD incorrectly processing that piece of data.

Ideally, a second device, either MFD or dedicated wind display could be used to isolate the problem w/o having to remove anything first.
Old 28-12-2020, 11:54   #8

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Apparent wind should not use any course or speed inputs, only the angle the vane is pointing and how fast the anemometer is spinning. If apparent wind is incorrect, then the problem is not with the COG, SOG or the GPS. It may be simply a bad connection, or the wind sensor or the MFD incorrectly processing that piece of data.

Ideally, a second device, either MFD or dedicated wind display could be used to isolate the problem w/o having to remove anything first.
you're right apparent wind doesn't need COG or SOG etc.
I was thinking of True wind, which does need boat speed and direction information for the calculation.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 12:19   #9

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

The problem could possibly be external interference injecting noise into the knotmeter pulse string. Does the occurrence of faulty data correlate with the use or speed of the engine? any particular radio or nav gear operating?
In any event I would go with the advice to check all connections and ground paths and make sure there are no breaks in the shield or other conductors.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 12:40   #10

Can be caused by the masthead movement in a seaway with light winds.

Most likely a connection, usually into the black-box which collects the raw data from all the instruments on an NMEA 2000 system.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 20:21   #11
jlb

Have you had any recent lightening strikes near by?
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 14:40   #12

I'm digging up an old thread but I'm having this same issue. I installed a new MHU and still have the problem. Did you ever find a solution?
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 20:40   #13

When I had NMEA 2000 electronics installed, the installer placed the terminators at each end of the backbone line. This is the normal process. But, with the B&G 508 and 608 masthead sensors, the terminator for that side of the backbone is the sensor in the masthead. So, my NMEA 2000 network basically had three terminators installed.

Once it was rectified, the problem stopped.

Tags
wind