Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2007, 00:01   #1

Boat: Eric Cox offshore 40ft cutter rigged sloop. named "Searcher" built 1965
Unhappy Furuno Radar

Hello out there, anybody know anything about Furuno 1830 crt radars??
I have just bought one second hand, it works most of the time but there is a fault somewhere?? it keeps resetting itself?? sometimes it works fine but lately it's being difficult.
I left it working fine for about 8 hours last night, it turned it off all was OK. This morning it's gone funny again?? it will reset when it goes onto standby mode. Doesn't seem to like the need for extra power? but last night all good??
I had the main power supply with a switch in it but it didn't like that so now it's directly connected to the battery.
I have a spare monitor and have swapped that over but the problem continious?
Please help. Thanks.............. Paul
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 06:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You could have a bad wire on the power supply side, you could have a flaky power supply or a marginal board. If you are not using the power supply then you already may have a clue. I really doubt you can fix this yourself. It's not easy to troubleshoot something like this based on what you wrote. You need to be able to test a lot of places with equipment and schematics. Someone that knows is going to have to verify you ever had it hooked up correctly first then work through the alternatives.

I would haul the whole thing in to a shop and let them go over it. It won't cost that much to have it examined and they may be able to tell you if this unit is even worth repairing. Many of the replacement parts are sort of spendy. A couple bad parts or a bad display and you could have had a new one. It may be worth repairing but for a radar I think you want it checked out so you can fell good about it being reliable.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 12:20   #3

Thank you Paul,
I have been thinking of that but it's supposed to have been all checked out when I bought it?? I guess it's another case of "buyer beware"??????? I'm feeling a bit annoyed that I may have been sold a "DUD"???
Thanks again, will do as you advise.......................regads Paul."Searcher".
Old 17-11-2007, 13:01   #4

Boat: Schock 35
I have found the Furuno to be Bullet Proof. Check in with Customer Support and see what they say.

Ask Furuno=
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 13:20   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Furuno Support

I agree their online support is great. If they can't fix it, send it to their repair center in Washington. Anytime I sent back equipment for repair they did it for free and paid for the return. But our local Furuno dealer in Oakville Onatrio is absolutely terrible. Don't bother taking anything to them. I spent 3 years trying to get an upgrade to the software for 1722C without luck.

Paul
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 18:00   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Before you do anything, make absolutely sure all your electrical terminals are clean and tight and that you are using the correct gauge wire. Check the voltage at the terminal block with the unit running. Use an ammeter to determine the current draw with the unit running to see if is within spec.

The only problem I have ever had with Furuno's were not the unit itself but the power leading to the unit.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 00:40   #7

Thank you everyone, I've sent an enquiry to the Furuno site and am waiting for a reply (good one?). Yes David I agree that the power supply could be a problem? I rewired the earth strap yesterday and have run newer power cable.
Not being a spook I get a bit lost with sparky stuff??
Hopeing for a good result.
Thanks from NZ guys
Old 07-04-2008, 11:07   #8

Boat: Gulfstream Ventura
Furuno 1830

I have the same unit on my 37' Gulfstream. Its worked perfectly for the last 12 years. I've even been able to tune it to pick up birds flying around the boat. The display on the monitor stopped showing targets even though the array turned. The transciever & scanner was checked by the local marine electronic shop. They said theywere bad and needed repair. Thanks for the Furuno website info and I've put in a request to them on what to do.
dbcolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 15:39   #9

Boat: Norman Cross 46
Re: Furuno Radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Spohn View Post
I have found the Furuno to be Bullet Proof. Check in with Customer Support and see what they say.

Ask Furuno=
Thank you for the link to Furuno customer service. I called them and they had a real live American lady on the line. She was very helpful (not a 16yr old bimbo or an India in India in a calling center
I will send my 2 radar displays to Washington for repair.

Beware of Nyco-Systems, a company that advertize on internet as specializing in Furuno ... they did not answers my quote requests and when called, told me they only work on industrial products .. not radars! So much for repairing all ranges of Furuno products
Old 23-04-2013, 17:16   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Furuno Radar

Thanks for the heads up on Nyco-Systems. I was going to ask where you got the unit.
kind regards,

Tags
radar