Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2009, 14:37   #1

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Fixed-Mount VHF with GPS?

Is there a fixed mount dsc vhf with built in GPS?

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 15:03   #2

Never heard of one but it would be slick. Standard Horizon is just coming out with the GX2100 which is DSC VHF and AIS with built in screen. I have been looking at a new VHF lately but am hardly an expert so perhaps someone else will have more info?
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 10:22   #3

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Why do you want a VHF with built-in GPS? In case of a single electrical failure, you would lose both systems at the same time.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 13:54   #4

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Why do you want a VHF with built-in GPS? In case of a single electrical failure, you would lose both systems at the same time.

Alain
So you don't have to run a data cable. So you don't have to make sure two different devices are on. So you don't have to make sure that you haven't left your GPS in the wrong protocol from the time you used Mapsource.

Mostly I was thinking about the boats my club has. VHF is on the club boats, but GPS isn't included. People reserving the boat would have to get their GPS correctly connected. Even if the club put GPSs on the boats the chances of something not being correctly on or connected is much higher than if the GPS were part of the VHF.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Is there a fixed mount dsc vhf with built in GPS?

John
I have Raystar 125 GPS with a ICOM IC-M302 dsc, a change over switch allow me to use the Raystar 125 GPS as a backup to my RM- 300 GPS. In my application the GPS need to be external for good reception.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:45   #6

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
So you don't have to run a data cable. So you don't have to make sure two different devices are on. So you don't have to make sure that you haven't left your GPS in the wrong protocol from the time you used Mapsource.
At a minimum, you would still need two different antennas and connecting cables: one for the VHF, one for GPS. So instead, consider adding an integrated GPS antenna/receiver like the Garmin 17x HVS (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=162&pID=13191). If you shop around, you can find one for ~$150.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 21:34   #7

Boat: CHB Tricab - 35' - Delfini
Original poster - The new Standard Horizon radio outputs an AIS signal to a chartplotter. AIS is a VHF radio signal that does give the location of all ships over 200 tons. The radio does not contain a GPS receiver. HOWEVER, you can buy a GPS receiver, hockey puck style for under $50. You need a laptop to use it, but you can now get them for about $300, and the navigation program SeaCearII is free, along with all the NOAA charts.

Regards,

Armand Seguin, Vallejo, CA
aseguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 09:58   #8

Boat: Catalina C-42
Cal40John,

Standard Horizon manufactures combined GPS/Chartplotter & VHF units. Go here: Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

Look at the CPV350 and CPV550. I've had the CPV350 installed aboard my boat for 2 or 3 years and love the unit. These devices can also be interfaced with radar scanners. They will also display NMEA data. Aboard my boat, the device provides VHF, GPS/Chartplotter, and instrument repeater functions. The VHF is a class D DSC and no wiring between the VHF & GPS is required for the DSC functions to work. You can download the manuals from the Standard Horizon site to get an idea of what these devices can do.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fixed mount