Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-01-2010, 14:15   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
iPhone Apps

What iPhone apps have you found to be useful, including apps that aren't just marine related?
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 14:44   #2

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
There are a few that show how to tie knots. There is also one called BoatersRef, which I bought and have enjoyed. Hmm... BoatWeather too.

Another place to find good information, is NetFlix. We have a Roku box and can watch a lot of the teaching videos on the box. The Annapolis series is, although dry, informative.
tomperanteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 15:16   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Navionics. US East has full charts from
Northern Maine to the Abacos.
$9.00
Old 24-01-2010, 18:46   #4

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
Oh yea. I also bought the Navionics chart for the west coast. Very nice, but uses a lot of battery power.
tomperanteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 19:16   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
I have the following apps on my Iphone: Weatherbug, The weather channel, windalert, Tides, Day Tides, and Tides App. I don't use Day Tides or Tides App very often. Tides and WindAlert apps are usually good and I look at them most everyday.
Old 25-01-2010, 00:35   #6

Been using navionics on the iphone as main navigation instrument(+paper charts) for the past month of cruising around moreton bay. Also have Knotguide (for knots). Anchor alarm, and a few weather service ones (ie weatherbug, briswind, shrlaptide (which is nice cause you don't need a net connection).

Those are sailing apps.

Other apps... Ocarina (flute for Iphone: highly reccomended).
DoGood: cool good deed a day app.
Nytimes, cnbc etc.
and lots of iphone games ^^

Strategery, inotia2, avatar, trival pursuit, boost, GTA:CTW, sailboat (cool free little sailing sim), orions, solitaie seige, spider, auditorium the list goes on, though idk if too many other people here even play iphone games...
troymclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 02:39   #7

Boat: Martzcraft 35 ft ketch, Masquerade
I bought the Navionics marine for Australia and it is a very good back-up but it sucks power
Colin
Old 25-01-2010, 06:36   #8
cruiser

There are so many fantastic apps for the iPhone. Many are non-boating ones that greatly improve our cruising experience. Some are specifically for boating. Here are a few that I have and use (free and paid):

AroundMe (free) - this app provides distances and locations of various categories of need. Want to know where the closest pharmacy is? AroundMe will tell you.

DexKnows (free) - a nice app for finding things in a location. I use this for video stores, Post Offices, Dollar Stores, etc. when cruising. It picks up where AroundMe leaves off.

Navionics Mobile ($9.99/US region - large regions) - you you have an iPhone and don't have this product, stop reading this posting and go buy it now. As a chartplotter, it is sort of OK. It'll get better. What is outstanding about it is the tide and current handling. I use it every time our boat is moving. I also have iNavX which I'm not so fond of - I find iNavX to be one of the most antagonistic apps I've ever used. I makes me want to throw my iPhone into the water. Navionics is different. Before you pay for another tide app (I have), just get this. It does tides and has a nice chart browser.

HanDBase ($10 or so) - an excellent non-boating tool for creating databases of information about your boat. I have the following databases: Projects, Captain's Log, Engine Room Log, Fuel Log, Maintenance, Parts Database, and Spares - I put these databases together myself. I go to it multiple times a day. It reminds me when there's a maintenance items to do and gives me a place to log that I've done it. It keeps track of every passage we've ever made (what did we think of the trip between Coinjock and Belhaven 2 years ago?). I've been using something similar since the day I got my current boat and have every hour logged, every part serial number in my pocket. It is a lifesaver.

BuoyData ($2) - a nice tool for quickly getting buoy reports. Sure, you can use the NOAA web site but this saves a lot of time and is easier to use when underway.

Windfinder (free) - companion app to their web site. Nice for evaluating wind and wave conditions.

ShralpTide (free) - offline tide prediction. There are many online apps that require an internet connection. This one uses the XTide code base and displays the predictions without any internet connection.

Swellinfo ($2) - basic swell data for the US coastline. Most of the coastal NOAA forecasts are for "out 20 nm" or more. Often the weather is much different closer to shore where most of us actually travel. Swellinfo is a nice app that accesses their web site to provide information nearshore swell info quickly. We use it when moving along the NJ coast - it's well worth the $2.

Google Earth (free) - no need to describe. Get it.

Speedtest (free) - a nice way to quantitatively see the connection speed of your iPhone (then update that information to ActiveCaptain so everyone will have it for the anchorage or marina you're staying at!).

Skype (free) - no need to describe it. Get it for WiFi phone use. When you're at Nippers in the Bahamas, you can now make calls anywhere for "free".

Planets (free) - explore the sky at night. Allows you to answer the question, "what's that up there?"

Stars (free) - similar to Planets.

Apps requiring a jailbroken iPhone:

PDANet ($29) - allows you to tether your laptop from your iPhone's data connection. Works over WiFi. There are no extra charges. I couldn't live without this app.

MxTube (free) - allows you to download and store YouTube video's on the iPhone itself. It's nice to grab videos/vblogs/etc. and watch them at a later time.

Bambuser (free) - I'm just starting to play with this one. It uses the camera to broadcast live video. I'd like to keep it at the helm to let friends and family cruise with us virtually...
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 07:01   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Audubon--Field Guide to North American Birds This guide not only includes field marks and natural history, but has playable recordings of each bird's call.
Old 25-01-2010, 07:04   #10

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquerade View Post
I bought the Navionics marine for Australia and it is a very good back-up but it sucks power
Colin

Is there one for New Zealand? I can't even find Oz.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 07:17   #11

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
My List of Useful/fun Iphone Apps

Daytides - tide ranges
IfirstAid - first aid reference
Pocket First Aid - first aid reference
SymptomMD - Pediatric version, goes through a list of symptoms to determine what the issue may be.
Redlaser - scan the barcode/rpc of a product and it will show you what you can buy it for elsewhere.
Aroundme - finds stores, restaurants, etc. "around" your current location.
Uberspoon - finds restaurants in your current location based on price, type. (limited outside major metro areas)
Big Oven - only have a can of spam, two onions, a carrot and taco shells, big oven will help you turn it into a meal (well - maybe not this list). The downside - it seems to always require a conneciton.
Heartwise - to keep track of blood pressure, heat rate and weight (for those of us needing to do so. Can email all to your doctor, or yourself.
Spawn lite - nothing stops a two year old from crying faster. I cannot explain it, but it is free.
Toobz free - it's simple and addictive. Just run the plumbing from the valve, overboard.
Tower Madness - it's less simple and addictive if you like tower defense games.
Ewallet - keeps track of ids, credit cards, passwords, etc. and has a windows client to sync with. I have used the windows' version for years. High encryption and valuable when you need to know the VIN for the car or the IRA id.

After the recommendations for Navtronics I am looking at that as well.

While my iphone has been very dependable, don't bet your life on it being there when you need it. Have a hard backup on board.(e.g. first aid, important numbers, charts.)

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 13:59   #12

Also for those iphone users who dont' always have net connection on their iphone client but do for instance have a marine antenna for their wireless internet connection you can download

Connectify which is a easy to use program which sits in windows taskbar and turns any laptop (with wifi) into a wifi hotspot specifcally designed for iphones. I have a different ISP for my phone and net and this is handy for providing iphone service (ie to use skype) when i don't have normal mobile coverage.

Also though i'd add a couple of other programs which don't require internet connection.

Toodledo This is a ToDo list organiser, great for jotting down grocery lists, to do list etc. You can prioritise lists as well as a bunch of other features.

Google calendar-synced to iphone calendar Using google calendar synced to iphone calendar i get a sms (if i'm in mobile range) or a little pop up reminder if i'm not that reminds me to run the engine once per week, run watermaker once per 2 days or any other schedule, mustn't forget appointment you like. Easy to setup and very handy.

Flashlight Puts up a bright screen and turns the iphone into a miniflashlight, can be handy ^^.

Evernote Same idea as toodledo, not quite as much functionality but you can add voice and picture memos.

Allrecipes A meal planner spinner. 3 wheels, lock in what sort of dish, main, side, dessert etc, lock in main ingredient, chicken, steak, pasta, vegetables etc, lock in prepration time, then search for matches. You need to be online to access the actual recipes but you still get the title a brief blurb and sometimes a picture without being online and it's enough to give you some ideas for dinner.
troymclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 15:56   #13

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
I know nobody wants to hear this, but I think the best way to improve the boating experience is to throw most of that electronic crap overboard. All it does is insulate you from what's going on.
This statement courtesy of your friendly neighborhood Luddite.
Old 25-01-2010, 16:01   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Yep - I remember when they bought in the sextant - PSHHH - whats wrong with an astrolabe I said. Bloody new fangled gear - course I did admit to taking a while to be convinced the earth was round.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 16:34   #15

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Factor - Give me a break. We aren't talking about a GPS here.

Ocarina - Flute for iphone

Handbase - What did we think of the trip between Coinjock and Belhaven 2 years ago? (Don't you know what you thought?)

Redlaser - Scan the barcode of a product and find out the price somewhere else.

Ewallet -keeps track of passwords, etc. Valuable when you need to know the VIN for the car. (He said it,not me)

Toodledo - Great for jotting down grocery lists, to do list, etc. (Replaced the pen and paper?)

and my favorite !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --
SpeedTest - a way to quantitatively see the connective speed of your
iphone.

To each their own.

I'd rather go sailing.
Hell, I'd rather grind blisters.

Tags
iphone