Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-01-2013, 03:14   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Ethernet Hub for Simrad/B&G Network?

Here's a tricky question:

Unlike the Z8 Zeus MFD I'm putting in my cockpit, the T8 touchscreen version (Simrad NSS clone) I'm putting at the nav table only has one Ethernet port.

I have to connect by Ethernet: 1. radar; 2. interconnect between the two MFD's; and 3. a Wifi router for GoFree.

It is impractical to run all the Ethernet cabling to connect to the Z8 in the cockpit (which has 3 Ethernet ports).

I can buy the Navico box:

Lowrance NEP-2 Network Expansion Port

As far as I know, it's just an Ethernet router/switch with the wacky 5-pin connectors instead of RJ45. Navico sell adaptors to RJ45 from their proprietary connector.

I need an Ethernet router/switch for other purposes (distributing Internet connection from my Ubiquiti Bullet).

I read on one forum that someone just whacked his Simrad radar cable (the Ethernet cable between the radar interface box and the MFD), crimped on two RJ45 connectors, plugged these into a Wifi router, and was good to go -- everything got its IP addresses automatically and worked perfectly.

Maybe I could combine all this routing into one box? A regular Ethernet switch for all functions? It would be cheaper and simpler.

Anyone know whether it is likely to work? Having proprietary Simrad radar data stream and so forth running over a regular Ethernet network and sharing with other uses, like Internet and file sharing?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote