Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2023, 18:46   #31

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56
Re: Ethernet Hub for Simrad/B&G Network?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You need an Ethernet switch with VLAN support for that or simply use a separate switch for components around the radar to isolate that. Then, if you need some data to go across the separate networks (or VLAN’s) you use a router for that, where you can filter at will.
Interesting. So would you normally setup separate VLANs for radar vs. other N2K traffic, or is this just a Vesper issue?

Also, it sounds like you would also want separate VLANs for N2K and Starlink/Cell internet traffic?

Can you recommend a switch to help with this?
Mal Reynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 18:53   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
Interesting. So would you normally setup separate VLANs for radar vs. other N2K traffic, or is this just a Vesper issue?

Also, it sounds like you would also want separate VLANs for N2K and Starlink/Cell internet traffic?

Can you recommend a switch to help with this?
The radar isn’t N2K traffic. The only Ethernet devices you put in this VLAN or on this separate switch are the radar scanner, the plotter(s) and OpenCPN computer.

The VLAN switches I used were huge and 5 digit price tags. But you could check out this switch I just bought but didn’t power up yet… it claims basic VLAN support: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MBFLMDC

I bought it for the POE+ and management interface.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 19:24   #33

Quote:
The radar isn’t N2K traffic. The only Ethernet devices you put in this VLAN or on this separate switch are the radar scanner, the plotter(s) and OpenCPN computer.

The VLAN switches I used were huge and 5 digit price tags. But you could check out this switch I just bought but didn’t power up yet… it claims basic VLAN support: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MBFLMDC

I bought it for the POE+ and management interface.
Right, yes. Along with radar traffic, I assume you might also put forward sonar traffic in this VLAN.

N2K on another VLAN

I guess this means the Ship's PC and Chartplotters need 2 ethernet ports? I have a small plotter with only one, and a big one with two.

Sorry for being a know-nothing here, and thank you for the product link and education.

I think best to keep internet away from the ship's computer and the chartplotters. Starlink and Cell on a separate airgapped wifi network. This means no reading N2K data on phones and iPads which I'm good with. Planning a Triton2 display at the bunk.
Old 11-10-2023, 06:25   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Right, yes. Along with radar traffic, I assume you might also put forward sonar traffic in this VLAN.

N2K on another VLAN

I guess this means the Ship's PC and Chartplotters need 2 ethernet ports? I have a small plotter with only one, and a big one with two.

Sorry for being a know-nothing here, and thank you for the product link and education.

I think best to keep internet away from the ship's computer and the chartplotters. Starlink and Cell on a separate airgapped wifi network. This means no reading N2K data on phones and iPads which I'm good with. Planning a Triton2 display at the bunk.
You can connect devices that need both to a separate switch (or VLAN) and let the router combine traffic. A Mikrotik hEX S comes with five Gigabit Ethernet ports. Please note that configuring all this isn’t easy; this range of equipment is only usable for those familiar with Linux, some Cisco certificates etc.

Old 11-10-2023, 09:23   #35

Quote:
You can connect devices that need both to a separate switch (or VLAN) and let the router combine traffic. A Mikrotik hEX S comes with five Gigabit Ethernet ports. Please note that configuring all this isn’t easy; this range of equipment is only usable for those familiar with Linux, some Cisco certificates etc.
Hmmm. Perhaps best to just have 2 separate unmanaged switches.
Old 11-10-2023, 14:51   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hmmm. Perhaps best to just have 2 separate unmanaged switches.
Yes, with a router connected to both.

Old 11-10-2023, 18:03   #37

Our system is fairly large and complex by many people's standards, but it all works, and has been very much plug&play. I have only a layman's knowledge of networking. I used two switches in my system to make the wiring easy. See attached diagram.

The switch I used was handy, it mounted on the DIN rail I already had in place for other things, and runs off of 12 to 48VDC we actually run one of the switches off the same switch as supplies 12V power to the NMEA bus, and the other off of 24V power that feeds other instruments. Made wiring easy, and logical.

This switch is what I used: https://amzn.to/48QlVRR

I used crimpless ethernet plugs to avoid the cost of the Navico adapters. It just works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harmonie instruments.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	282000  
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 20:10   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Our system is fairly large and complex by many people's standards, but it all works, and has been very much plug&play. I have only a layman's knowledge of networking. I used two switches in my system to make the wiring easy. See attached diagram.

The switch I used was handy, it mounted on the DIN rail I already had in place for other things, and runs off of 12 to 48VDC we actually run one of the switches off the same switch as supplies 12V power to the NMEA bus, and the other off of 24V power that feeds other instruments. Made wiring easy, and logical.

This switch is what I used: https://amzn.to/48QlVRR

I used crimpless ethernet plugs to avoid the cost of the Navico adapters. It just works.
Amazing how close your system is to what I've designed so far...nice A+T MHU! Nice switches too. I also like how you have a crossover to two autopilot systems.
Old 11-10-2023, 22:26   #39

Quote:
Amazing how close your system is to what I've designed so far...nice A+T MHU! Nice switches too. I also like how you have a crossover to two autopilot systems.
We need redundancy on our autopilot. We much prefer the modern B&G computer, but keep the “legacy” Raymarine as a back up. Connecting either computer to either of the two drives has worked very well for us.

And, yes, the A&T MHU is way better that the B&G 213.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 19:39   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Today I setup all the new components and I can confirm that the Mikrotik hEX S router, as well as the Netgear GS 308EP POE+ Ethernet switch have full VLAN support on their Gigabit Ethernet ports.

Also, the Netgear WAX214 access point works brilliantly with the POE switch.

I also got an Amcrest POE camera and that works good too.

All this gear is good for those who know their way around IP networking, Linux etc.