Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2013, 03:14   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Ethernet Hub for Simrad/B&G Network?

Here's a tricky question:

Unlike the Z8 Zeus MFD I'm putting in my cockpit, the T8 touchscreen version (Simrad NSS clone) I'm putting at the nav table only has one Ethernet port.

I have to connect by Ethernet: 1. radar; 2. interconnect between the two MFD's; and 3. a Wifi router for GoFree.

It is impractical to run all the Ethernet cabling to connect to the Z8 in the cockpit (which has 3 Ethernet ports).

I can buy the Navico box:

Lowrance NEP-2 Network Expansion Port

As far as I know, it's just an Ethernet router/switch with the wacky 5-pin connectors instead of RJ45. Navico sell adaptors to RJ45 from their proprietary connector.

I need an Ethernet router/switch for other purposes (distributing Internet connection from my Ubiquiti Bullet).

I read on one forum that someone just whacked his Simrad radar cable (the Ethernet cable between the radar interface box and the MFD), crimped on two RJ45 connectors, plugged these into a Wifi router, and was good to go -- everything got its IP addresses automatically and worked perfectly.

Maybe I could combine all this routing into one box? A regular Ethernet switch for all functions? It would be cheaper and simpler.

Anyone know whether it is likely to work? Having proprietary Simrad radar data stream and so forth running over a regular Ethernet network and sharing with other uses, like Internet and file sharing?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 10:37   #2

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Ethernet Hub for Simrad/B&G Network?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Here's a tricky question:

Unlike the Z8 Zeus MFD I'm putting in my cockpit, the T8 touchscreen version (Simrad NSS clone) I'm putting at the nav table only has one Ethernet port.

I have to connect by Ethernet: 1. radar; 2. interconnect between the two MFD's; and 3. a Wifi router for GoFree.

It is impractical to run all the Ethernet cabling to connect to the Z8 in the cockpit (which has 3 Ethernet ports).

I can buy the Navico box:

Lowrance NEP-2 Network Expansion Port

As far as I know, it's just an Ethernet router/switch with the wacky 5-pin connectors instead of RJ45. Navico sell adaptors to RJ45 from their proprietary connector.

I need an Ethernet router/switch for other purposes (distributing Internet connection from my Ubiquiti Bullet).

I read on one forum that someone just whacked his Simrad radar cable (the Ethernet cable between the radar interface box and the MFD), crimped on two RJ45 connectors, plugged these into a Wifi router, and was good to go -- everything got its IP addresses automatically and worked perfectly.

Maybe I could combine all this routing into one box? A regular Ethernet switch for all functions? It would be cheaper and simpler.

Anyone know whether it is likely to work? Having proprietary Simrad radar data stream and so forth running over a regular Ethernet network and sharing with other uses, like Internet and file sharing?
How did it work out DockHead. Did it work, 300$ for a Ethernet 1 router thats a little much

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 20:17   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post

How did it work out DockHead. Did it work, 300$ for a Ethernet 1 router thats a little much

Regards
I used the Navico WiFi module, which cost $190, not $300. Worth it for included cables, rugged & weatherized, plug and play.

I didn't need the Ethernet hub - there were enough Ethernet ports in the Zeus Z8.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 21:26   #4

Should be an awesome setup. I would run the Z8 and the Touch to the NEP. Then attach your current router to the NEP with the RJ45 to 5 pin adapter from Navico.

I have a bullet as well and needed to do the same thing. The router should assign an IP address to both MFD units. Not sure but, you should get both 0183 and 2k sentences streamed depending upon which MFD you point the software too during setup. You will have a good variety of 3rd party apps to run after that.
SV Sedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:08   #5

Hi!
Has anybody used successfully a conventional (low cost) Ethernet switch (instead of Navico NEP-2) - eg LINKSYS - for connecting multiple NSS (Simrad/B&G) and radar?
It will only need crimping RJ45 connectors to the lowrance cables and powering appropriately the switch with 12V.
Thank you very much in advance.
Best Regards
Costas
Costas Psillide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:25   #6

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Ethernet hubs and switches are from different generations and a hub is very simple.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...t-hub.2601092/

A hub should be able to handle the traffic of NEMA devices but they have problems with many nodes and lots of traffic.

The above circuit diagram is a for a hub.

A switch has timing circuits to make sure the traffic between nodes doesn't interfere so would be a much more sophisticated project.
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:35   #7

Boat: hinckley sw50

ethernet is ethernet.

i would be very surprised if you could even BUY a hub these days. i work in the industry and haven't seen one since the early 2000s.
ride5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:14   #8

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

We have both Halo+ Radar and Zeug 3S plugged into a simple 25 Euro router we were already using for other purposes on board. Both get assigned an IP via DHCP on startup and everything worked out of the box. Plotter can get updates via internet (if that route is active on the router).

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post
We have both Halo+ Radar and Zeug 3S plugged into a simple 25 Euro router we were already using for other purposes on board. Both get assigned an IP via DHCP on startup and everything worked out of the box. Plotter can get updates via internet (if that route is active on the router).

Paul
Thank you very much Paul!

I’m using 2 NSSs - one Simrad (with the Navionics map on the SD card), and one B&G - and a Simrad Radar. I want to share map and radar data on both NSSs.

I am using a Linksys LGS 105 Ethernet switch (instead of NEP-2).

Physical connections seem to be correct,.
However, only 2 out of the 3 devices seem to communicate at one time, eg
a) The radar talks to either NSS1 or NSS2 - but in this scenario, radar does not talk to both NSSs simultaneously. Also, NSS1 does not talk to NSS2.
b) NSS1 talks to NSS2 (sends map data correctly to NSS2) - but in this scenario, radar does not talk to either NSS1 or NSS2.

BR

Costas
Old 02-09-2022, 08:52   #10

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas Psillide View Post
Thank you very much Paul!

I’m using 2 NSSs - one Simrad (with the Navionics map on the SD card), and one B&G - and a Simrad Radar. I want to share map and radar data on both NSSs.

I am using a Linksys LGS 105 Ethernet switch (instead of NEP-2).

Physical connections seem to be correct,.
However, only 2 out of the 3 devices seem to communicate at one time, eg
a) The radar talks to either NSS1 or NSS2 - but in this scenario, radar does not talk to both NSSs simultaneously. Also, NSS1 does not talk to NSS2.
b) NSS1 talks to NSS2 (sends map data correctly to NSS2) - but in this scenario, radar does not talk to either NSS1 or NSS2.

BR

Costas
Maybe more then one dhcp server creating 2 networks.
maybe NSS1 and NSS2 have the same IP address (doesn't explain all scenarios)

what are the link lights doing?

Should just work from a hardware point of view. The configuration of the devices would or the cables would be what I would verify.
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:12   #11

Thank you very much for your advice.
I will continue troubleshooting tomorrow and I will let you know.
BR
Costas
Old 02-09-2022, 09:17   #12

Boat: Sun Odyssey 45.2

I have three MFDs (Zeus3, Vulcan, Lawrance hds) and a 3g radar connected to a NEP-2 in the cockpit. The fifth port on the NEP-2 is connected to a 30 euro ethernet switch at the navstation and to that switch there is connected a Raspberry PI to watch the radar on Open CPN and Victron Cerbo is to watch it on the MFDs.
Everything works and connects to each other so it seems as long as you have a free hole to connect a cable it will work.
Recy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recy View Post
I have three MFDs (Zeus3, Vulcan, Lawrance hds) and a 3g radar connected to a NEP-2 in the cockpit. The fifth port on the NEP-2 is connected to a 30 euro ethernet switch at the navstation and to that switch there is connected a Raspberry PI to watch the radar on Open CPN and Victron Cerbo is to watch it on the MFDs.
Everything works and connects to each other so it seems as long as you have a free hole to connect a cable it will work.
Thank you very much!
BR
Costas
Old 02-09-2022, 09:48   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If you know what you’re doing (tech savy, knowledge of networking, familiar with Linux etc.) then this is by far the best option: https://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-RBD5...s%2C117&sr=8-5

You get a DC 12-28V little box with dual band wifi, 4x Gigabit Ethernet switched plus an Ethernet WAN. I believe it even has a USB that supports 4G modems.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:58   #15

Noted! Thank you very much!
BR
Costas