Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 06:16   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Echopilot vs ForwardScan? Which FLS?

I have an old Echopilot forward looking sonar on my boat, with the large professional transducer. It hasn't been working for the last few years due to a wiring fault which I haven't had time to chase, something which I bitterly regretted last summer for two reasons:

a. My depth sounder failed unexpectedly. The Echopilot gives backup depth information, besides the FLS function.

b. Picking my way through uncharted, rock-strewn waters in Greenland was -- well, to say it was a "brown shorts moment" would be an understatement. Forward looking sonar would have been worth its weight in gold, and I was kicking myself all summer that it was not working.

So I'm going to fix that at last.

But should I fix the old Echopilot, or replace it with the new Navico ForwardScan?

According to PBO:

https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/5-forward...r-tested-29321

there's not much to choose between them. If this review is correct, Navico have not made any big breakthrough in this technology, although Echopilot has been out for what, 20 years by now?

Also, it looks like I would have to reduce the diameter of the hole -- the ForwardScan transducer seems to be smaller than the Echopilot professional one.

Anyone have any experience or tips to share?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:40   #2

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Re: Echopilot vs ForwardScan? Which FLS?

Had an echopilot on my last boat, an Interphase on my current. Interphase was purchased by Garmin. Many hate it, I prefere it, but yes, intuition is needed. Echopilot only gives you a vertical cut of what is in front, a post, just beside the center line is not seen. Interphase/Garmin show, selectable, a vertical or horizontal cut, the post could not be hidden.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:48   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
Had an echopilot on my last boat, an Interphase on my current. Interphase was purchased by Garmin. Many hate it, I prefere it, but yes, intuition is needed. Echopilot only gives you a vertical cut of what is in front, a post, just beside the center line is not seen. Interphase/Garmin show, selectable, a vertical or horizontal cut, the post could not be hidden.

OK, thanks.

ForwardScan also only give a "vertical cut", of what is directly in front of the boat.

Echopilot make a "3D" system, which shows the bottom in 3D out to some degrees on either side of the bow. Seems useful, but it's expensive, and requires a bulky phased array sensor.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 11-02-2019, 07:52   #4

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
OK, thanks.

ForwardScan also only give a "vertical cut", of what is directly in front of the boat.

Echopilot make a "3D" system, which shows the bottom in 3D out to some degrees on either side of the bow. Seems useful, but it's expensive, and requires a bulky phased array sensor.
The times I am referring to are 10 & 20 years back, no 3D those days, but not much change on the 2D models. The testwinner though carries a heavy pricetag
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:01   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
The times I am referring to are 10 & 20 years back, no 3D those days, but not much change on the 2D models. The testwinner though carries a heavy pricetag

The PBO test linked in the OP is from 2016, so not that old.

But I'm more interested in people's practical experiences.
Walt Whitman
Old 11-02-2019, 08:37   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I can't comment on the Echopilot, but I have had the Navico FLS (going to a Vulcan display in the pilothouse) and it works quite well and is also a decent traditional depthsounder. I installed it prior to launching into very high water on Lake Ontario, and it showed me where the gap in the otherwise overtopped sea wall was. I plan on getting a drone instead of installing mast steps so I can see both in front of us and from above in some poorly charted places in the Pacific. That said, I haven't heard much against the Echopilot, save it's like radar: you have to learn to read it properly for best results.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc