Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2018, 10:35   #46

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: dAISy Open Source AIS Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Because UHF connector is too big. Also, almost no printed circuit mount UHF connectors are available these days. But the main reason is size. It requires the AIS box to be excessively large. So small low cost receivers don’t use UHF connectors.
PCB mouth PL259 connectors are not hard to find, but finding BNC to pl259 is a harder find. adding adapters introduces resistance and potential points for corrosion. The other option is to have to build custom cables Which again is not particularly useful. Specisally when commerical AIS ( the ones made but the "big guys" use stanadard PL259 connections.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 23:00   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
PCB mount PL259 connectors are not hard to find, but finding BNC to pl259 is a harder find. adding adapters introduces resistance and potential points for corrosion. The other option is to have to build custom cables Which again is not particularly useful. Specisally when commerical AIS ( the ones made but the "big guys" use stanadard PL259 connections.
As Dan stated, it's mainly due to the size of SO-239 panel mount connectors. I did go with BNC and SMA because adapters to these are readily available for virtually any RF standard.

I just checked a few of the big electronics distributors here in the US, and I didn't find any PCB mount SO-239. If you know a source, I would be very interested.

Best Regards,
Adrian

PS: In the (confusing) nomenclature for UHF connectors, SO-239 is the connector on the device/antenna that mates with the PL-259 on the cable.
astuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 10:31   #48

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
PCB mouth PL259 connectors are not hard to find, but finding BNC to pl259 is a harder find. adding adapters introduces resistance.

In AIS resistance is not a big issue. Would like to see a link to PC mount UHF female connector.

Pasternak sells BNC to UHF and SMA to UHF.

https://www.pasternack.com/uhf-adapters-category.aspx
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 12:31   #49

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuder View Post
...In the (confusing) nomenclature for UHF connectors, SO-239 is the connector on the device/antenna that mates with the PL-259 on the cable.
It's not that confusing: SO is short for SOCKET and PL is short for PLUG. The PLUG is usually on a cable, and mates with the SOCKET that is usually on a bulkhead or wall. The numbering goes back to the US Military c.1940. The numbers were probably the next open numbers when the connector was adopted as a standard connector. It is no more arbitrary than calling a cable RG-8/U and then the next one RG-9/U. RG came from Radio Guide, a listing of approved cables by the military.

In the AMPHENOL catalog, the UHF series connectors are in the 83-series and numbered

83-1SP for Straight Plug, or the equivalent of MIL PL-259

and

83-1R for Receptacle, or the equivalent of MIL SO-239

Many modern radio devices now use the FME connector to conserve space. FME is from For Mobile Equipment. It is used on some marine electronics,
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 14:50   #50

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
It's not that confusing:
Well, it is actually. I naively thought a PL259 might have connected to a SO259. But not so. Goodness only knows what a SO259 connects to ... ...
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 15:04   #51

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
Well, it is actually. I naively thought a PL259 might have connected to a SO259. But not so. Goodness only knows what a SO259 connects to ... ...
Err... as far as I know, a PL259 -does- plug into a SO259.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 19:14   #52

Boat: Valiant 42

I have never seen an SO-259 as far as I can recall. Admittedly my look back buffer gets shorter every year.

http://www.radio-electronics.com/inf...o239-pl259.php
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 13:41   #53
Marine Service Provider

The dAISy hat AIS for Raspberry pi, if connected with a proper coax and antenna is performing very well with opencpn.

Using Raspberry pi 2, RG214 coax cable for the antenna and a Comrod AV15 antenna
see screen shot taken just now.
Good quality coax and antenna seems to be a key factor for proper performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daisy-AIS-Hat-1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	173687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daisy-AIS-Hat-2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	173688  

petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 17:54   #54

You forgot to mention selecting a good location for the antenna and proper alignment of stars
Old 28-10-2019, 06:27   #55

Old thread, So i apologise for stirring it up again.
I have a dAISy2+ and wired, it works fine. I'd like to move to wireless for testing
Am I correct in thinking that the device needs proper power supplied to it? I've tried with the USB port and a power brick but the wifi card does not power up, so I think it needs power via the NMEA connector instead.
Many thanks
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 06:34   #56
Marine Service Provider

I don't think the dAISy have wifi. You can for example connect to a raspberrypi ( openplotter) and you will get WiFi.
/Petter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossM View Post
Old thread, So i apologise for stirring it up again.
I have a dAISy2+ and wired, it works fine. I'd like to move to wireless for testing
Am I correct in thinking that the device needs proper power supplied to it? I've tried with the USB port and a power brick but the wifi card does not power up, so I think it needs power via the NMEA connector instead.
Many thanks
Old 28-10-2019, 06:41   #57

petter you are right, but a wifi module is available for it. I have this installed but was hoping it could take power from the USB.
Old 28-10-2019, 07:02   #58
Marine Service Provider

I have not heard about a "dirct connect" WiFi" module for dAISy an I just checked their web site and it is not mentioned there either,,
Since the dAISy have a USB and NMEA 0183 outbut, the WiFi will need some kind of hardware/computer to connect to the dAISy to be able to be used for WiFi. Are you sure your moduel is a "WiFi" designed to work direct with a dAISy 2+ ??
If not , go for a raspberry pi with WiFi and connect the dAISy 2 + - it is a well proven solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossM View Post
petter you are right, but a wifi module is available for it. I have this installed but was hoping it could take power from the USB.
Old 28-10-2019, 07:28   #59

Hi Petter.
https://shop.wegmatt.com/products/da...with-nmea-0183

Wireless is mentioned in the article.
Old 28-10-2019, 08:54   #60

Hi Ross,

The VCC pin outputs 3.3 or 5V, selected by a switch inside the unit. Both should work whether power is provided from USB or the NMEA connector.

Make sure that the WiFi module is connected the right side around. Use the marking on the WiFi module as reference, not the pictures in the document. Some modules off Ebay need to be inserted upside down. The correct connections are:

VCC->VCC
GND->GND
TXD->RXD
RXD->TXD

If there's no power on the VCC pin, try moving the switch forth and back a few times. It may have corroded if your receiver was in service for a while.

Also, we had a few customers reporting issues with WiFi modules off Ebay. It looks like there are slight variations between these modules. I always get mine from BangGood, which seem to come from the original vendor.

Best Regards,
Adrian

Tags
ais