Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2024, 10:47   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45
Re: Changing Out ST60+ Tridata

Yes, the ITC5 can do that, but you need to isolate the actual problem you are trying to solve.

Originally, the ST60+ was going out, and wondered if the i60 Tridata (which is really the i50 Tridata) would work as drop in replacement. The answer here is yes, as long as you get the STNG-ST1 adapter cables.

You also mentioned that the problem may be that the existing Transducer might be the issue, and you connected an N2K transducer (DST810) to the STNG bus and from what I can gather it worked fine, displaying data on the ST60+, etc. But the DST810 is the wrong size for your existing thru hull that the ST800 is in now.

So yes, you can use an ITC5 to connect an analog transducer to STNG/N2K. Or you can get an N2K transducer and connect directly.

If you have 2 x ST60+ tridata's, I would swap them and see if your issue goes away, ie: connect transducer to the other ST60+.. If problem goes away, then you know that one display is bad. If problem remains, it's likely the transducer, or a problem with the cable between the transducer and the display.

If it's the transducer, you can replace it with a new ST800 analog for about $300 and just connect it to your existing ST60+ displays like it is now.

If it's the display, you can swap in the i50 tridata with adapter cables using the existing transducer for about $500.

If you aren't sure and just want all new stuff, upgrade the whole thing to a new i70s system pack for about $1500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I have a Raymarine ST800 showing speed and temperature

These are the only functions I need. I believe there is a converter box that I can connect the current transducer to and then Run SEatalk NG out the other end

Not sure wha this is called
Old 13-03-2024, 05:32   #17

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
Yes, the ITC5 can do that, but you need to isolate the actual problem you are trying to solve.

Originally, the ST60+ was going out, and wondered if the i60 Tridata (which is really the i50 Tridata) would work as drop in replacement. The answer here is yes, as long as you get the STNG-ST1 adapter cables.

You also mentioned that the problem may be that the existing Transducer might be the issue, and you connected an N2K transducer (DST810) to the STNG bus and from what I can gather it worked fine, displaying data on the ST60+, etc. But the DST810 is the wrong size for your existing thru hull that the ST800 is in now.

So yes, you can use an ITC5 to connect an analog transducer to STNG/N2K. Or you can get an N2K transducer and connect directly.

If you have 2 x ST60+ tridata's, I would swap them and see if your issue goes away, ie: connect transducer to the other ST60+.. If problem goes away, then you know that one display is bad. If problem remains, it's likely the transducer, or a problem with the cable between the transducer and the display.

If it's the transducer, you can replace it with a new ST800 analog for about $300 and just connect it to your existing ST60+ displays like it is now.

If it's the display, you can swap in the i50 tridata with adapter cables using the existing transducer for about $500.

If you aren't sure and just want all new stuff, upgrade the whole thing to a new i70s system pack for about $1500.
thank you for your help on this

cheers

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 07:17   #18

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

You probably have already considered this. I have been keeping my instruments alive with the help of Ebay with good results for me. I did have to upgrade from ST50's to ST60+ because the new masthead wind transducer was not compatible with the ST50.

Several available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19630088909...Bk9SR7rynejMYw
ChrisPuget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 10:55   #19

Boat: PDQ32

If you install new units with the seatalk cable any open ends of the system need To be fitted with terminal ends or the system won't work. I ordered a complete setup but these little items were not provided. I only learned of the need for these items when I called their helpline.
henryv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 14:27   #20

Boat: Hylas 54 #42

I just replaced a dst800 with a dst810. When hauled I removed the old dst800 thru hull and installed the new thru hull that came with the dst810. It was a very easy job. The new thruhull fits the same hole in the hull as the old one. No drilling was required. I cleaned all the old sealant from both sides of the hull, applied new sealant as listed in the instructions and tightened down the new thru hull. The whole job took less than two hours to complete. I had already wired the NMEA 2000 backbone to a nearby location and connected to it with a T connector. My old depth, speed and tri data instruments work as before because I already had a Raymarine Seatalk to Seatalk 2000 converter installed.

John
jdtcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 15:08   #21

Boat: Benford 34ft Badger

Hi Sea-TechSystems,

Sorry to butt in here but you seem knowledgable and so can likely answer my question.

I have Raymarine I60 Depth, Speed and Wind (separate instruments) and of course the transducers plug directly into them. The I60's are also networked via a Seatalk NG/NMEA2000 network.

My question is; If I install an ITC5 and connect all the transducers to it, will the I60 displays continue to work as they do with the transducers plugged in directly? I'm looking at this option because it would simplify the cabling.

Advise would be appreciated.
sailorxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 18:48   #22

Boat: Hylas 54 #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorxyz View Post
Hi Sea-TechSystems,

Sorry to butt in here but you seem knowledgable and so can likely answer my question.

I have Raymarine I60 Depth, Speed and Wind (separate instruments) and of course the transducers plug directly into them. The I60's are also networked via a Seatalk NG/NMEA2000 network.

My question is; If I install an ITC5 and connect all the transducers to it, will the I60 displays continue to work as they do with the transducers plugged in directly? I'm looking at this option because it would simplify the cabling.

I am using a Raymarine seatalk to seatalk ng adapter to send the older seatalk to the old instruments. I had to set the instruments to slave so they would use the seatalk data from the seatalk bus instead of getting the information from the directly connected wires. The instructions to configure the instruments are available online from the Raymarine manuals. My wind instruments are still directly connected to the masthead transducer.

Hope this helps,
John
jdtcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 07:42   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Yes, the displays can use data directly from transducers or from the network (Master or Slave)

Note: had to switch user account to my personal because the admins admonished me for using my business login. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorxyz View Post
Hi Sea-TechSystems,