Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2024, 09:25   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Changing Out ST60+ Tridata

Hi all

My ST6++ tridata from raymarine is going on 18 years old and is degenerating. I need to replace it. Am I correct in assuming a i60tridata from raymarine is a plug in replacement?
I have 2 ST60+ one is a repeater. - Could I exchange the repeater for the main instrument and get by for a few more years?

If I do the exchange and the new repeater (old main) stops working will the new main (old repeater also stop?)

cheers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 10:23   #2

Re: Changing Out ST60+ Tridata

Check the diameter and thread of the new tri-data unit. Ours was very slightly different which meant hauling out to fit the new thru-hull.
KeelsonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 10:31   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelsonGraham View Post
Check the diameter and thread of the new tri-data unit. Ours was very slightly different which meant hauling out to fit the new thru-hull.
I am keeoing the old transducer it is in good shape. I am assuming i can plug it into the new instrument maybe with an adaptor
Old 10-03-2024, 11:13   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

Because the new instruments only have a SeatalkNG connection you are correct that you will need to use the Raymarine ITC5 Instrument Transducer Converter, that's it's full name BTW not just a description. The ITC accepts inputs from your transducers and outputs Seatalk NG. Once you got that converter you can connect to separate ST70 instruments or to a MFD like i70 which is same size as other instruments.
I have my ST60's on a Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter than connected to a Garmin MFD with a SeatalkNG to Nema2000 adapter cable. In this configuration the ST60's can burn out but data still displayed on MFD. I know this is tough to picture, I'll try to clarify anything I can.
https://www.raymarine.com/en-us/our-...ucer-converter
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 11:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

You might be able to do the same with a Yacht Devices router (YDNR) or similar and get WiFi capability to boot.

And another route may be to cover to NASA instruments. Just as goo and half the price and I believe compatible. I buy straight from NASA in UK. Shipping is good and prices cheaper than USA distributors.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 10:48   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

I would recommend reading the manuals for the new instruments as it seems like the replies you have received have ignored the actual specifications of the units to which you have refered. There's a lot of info in the user manuals that answer alot of these questions...

1.) There is not an i60 Tridata.. So let's talk about the i50 Tridata.

2.) The i50 Tridata has the transducer connections AND supports both SeatalkNG and SeaTalk1. You may need to add 1 or 2 SeaTalkng-to-SeaTalk1 adapter cables to connect it to your existing SeaTalk network.

3.) The i60 Tridata can repeat data from the SeaTalk network or act as the master if the transducers are directly connected.

While you can use the ITC-5. It doesn't sound like you need it for your scenario.
Old 11-03-2024, 11:04   #7

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
I would recommend reading the manuals for the new instruments as it seems like the replies you have received have ignored the actual specifications of the units to which you have refered. There's a lot of info in the user manuals that answer alot of these questions...

1.) There is not an i60 Tridata.. So let's talk about the i50 Tridata.

2.) The i50 Tridata has the transducer connections AND supports both SeatalkNG and SeaTalk1. You may need to add 1 or 2 SeaTalkng-to-SeaTalk1 adapter cables to connect it to your existing SeaTalk network.

3.) The i60 Tridata can repeat data from the SeaTalk network or act as the master if the transducers are directly connected.

While you can use the ITC-5. It doesn't sound like you need it for your scenario.
What about a direct plug in transducer (seatalk NG) that fits my airmar throughhull (raymarinest800) then I can just plug that into my SEAtalk NG backbone

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 11-03-2024, 11:12   #8
Marine Service Provider

I'm confused, because you said you were keeping your existing transducer which if it is currently connected to the ST60+, you can connect it to the new i50 Tridata instead if you want. No adapter needed.

But if you DO want to replace the transducer with a new N2K one, then you need to have or build an N2K/SeaTalkNG network first, then use a converter device (Raymarine, Yacht Devices, etc) to integrate the Seatalk1 with SeatalkNG/N2K network.

So yes, if you have a SeaTalkNG backbone you can connect an N2K Transducer to that, AND if you have a Seatalk1 to SeaTalkNG/N2K converter it will put the N2K data onto the Seatalk1 network for display via ST60+ or i50/i60.

But if all you want to do is replace a failing ST60+ display, then you can swap the i50 in and connect it to the legacy Seatalk1 network with the correct cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
What about a direct plug in transducer (seatalk NG) that fits my airmar throughhull (raymarinest800) then I can just plug that into my SEAtalk NG backbone
Old 11-03-2024, 11:18   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm confused, because you said you were keeping your existing transducer which if it is currently connected to the ST60+, you can connect it to the new i50 Tridata instead if you want. No adapter needed.

But if you DO want to replace the transducer with a new N2K one, then you need to have or build an N2K/SeaTalkNG network first, then use a converter device (Raymarine, Yacht Devices, etc) to integrate the Seatalk1 with SeatalkNG/N2K network.

So yes, if you have a SeaTalkNG backbone you can connect an N2K Transducer to that, AND if you have a Seatalk1 to SeaTalkNG/N2K converter it will put the N2K data onto the Seatalk1 network for display via ST60+ or i50/i60.

But if all you want to do is replace a failing ST60+ display, then you can swap the i50 in and connect it to the legacy Seatalk1 network with the correct cables.
My problem is that I'ving mega issues determining what the problem is, the transducer? the fualt is periodic, but when I measure on the transducer it seems ok. I have a brand new right out of the box transducer - when I plug that into the ST60 display, it also does't work. So display is faulty? But when I measure, it seems ok. I have just this morning tried a DST810 plugged into my SAETALK NG back bone - everything works.

So I'm thinking that if Airmar amkes a new transducer with Seatalk NG connectivity that fits into my ST800 thruhull, then the easiet and best thing to do is simply change to the new transducer and plug it into the Seatalk NG backbones

Do you know what the airmar/raymarine part number is?

Airmar must one - there are literally tens of thousands of the old style out there

Old 11-03-2024, 11:20   #10
Marine Service Provider

What is the part# of the new transducer you have?
Old 11-03-2024, 11:21   #11

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What is the part# of the new transducer you have?
DST810 but it does not fit the thruhull

Old 11-03-2024, 11:27   #12
Marine Service Provider

You probably need the DST800 instead.. But also, the DST810 is NMEA2000, you can't plug it into the ST60+ directly, there's no way to do that.

When you saw everything works when it's connected to SeaTalkNG backbone, does it display data on the ST60+ screen?
Old 11-03-2024, 11:28   #13

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You probably need the DST800 instead.. But also, the DST810 is NMEA2000, you can't plug it into the ST60+ directly, there's no way to do that.

When you saw everything works when it's connected to SeaTalkNG backbone, does it display data on the ST60+ screen?
yes it does shows up on ST60 just fine. do you know what the adaptor for NEMA 2000 to SEatalk NG is called?

Old 11-03-2024, 11:32   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
yes it does shows up on ST60 just fine. do you know what the adaptor for NEMA 2000 to SEatalk NG is called?
There are several depending on what you are connecting to what..

Unfortunately there is no DST model for NMEA2000 in the smaller thru hull size.

What transducer do you have in the water/thru hull now that is failing? ie: which functions does it provide? depth? speed? temp?

You will need tio find which transducer replaces that functionality most directly, with the right housing size, and then figure out connectivity options.
Old 11-03-2024, 11:35   #15

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
There are several depending on what you are connecting to what..

Unfortunately there is no DST model for NMEA2000 in the smaller thru hull size.

What transducer do you have in the water/thru hull now that is failing? ie: which functions does it provide? depth? speed? temp?

You will need tio find which transducer replaces that functionality most directly, with the right housing size, and then figure out connectivity options.
I have a Raymarine ST800 showing speed and temperature

These are the only functions I need. I believe there is a converter box that I can connect the current transducer to and then Run SEatalk NG out the other end

Not sure wha this is called