Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2017, 15:38   #16

Re: Cell phone service E. Coast Offshore?

Yes, ignore the armchair folks.

I just came offshore to New England from the Bahamas last week.

Hard to beat Ipad weather (Ventusky.com is my preferred since it shows three models). I had workable data a few times 25 miles offshore but normally at 10 miles. I think it does depend how the shore antennas are aimed. And my booster didn't really seem to extend the data range help even though it's supposed to do LTE. I think Verizon may "shape" the LTE signal somehow. On this trip most days my course took me close enough to land at some point in the 24 hours to grab a forecast off the internet.

Farther offshore I use the Delorme Inreach in two ways:

- The Inreach's weather is quite good and is based on Ocens. Well worth the $1 for a three day forecast but it only shows a single lat/lon and no "big picture". Getting three forecasts for different Lat/Lon's helped and was still only $3 a day. It's much more convenient and more dependable than the Ham/SSB setup I had on my last boat.

- I would also message my son ashore on the Inreach and he would check the internet weather and send me back a forecast. It's amazing how detailed a forecast he could fit into a single Inreach 160 character message. He would also send me offshore buoy reports if relevant.

I won't go offshore without the Inreach. An EPIRB backup (with two way communication), a convenient way to keep family from worrying, and reliable weather. It sits on my chart table as it works fine transmitting through the deck. Would never bother again with Ham or SSB.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 21:04   #17

Boat: Adams 42

Have had a boosted effect by raising a self contained wi-fi hotspot dongle to the masthead. Also my mobile with it's wi-fi hot spot turned on. Increases the range considerably for data. Local in the Trobriands climbs a coconut palm for enhanced phone reception.
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 04:18   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I use mobile phone data as my primary (but not only) source of weather information. Around here works usually to 10 or 15 miles out. You will also get VHF weather on a coastal passage, and still further out - maybe 30 or 40 miles with a decent antenna.

For going up and down the East Coast I guess that's adequate. Add Delorme and/or HF radio for true offshore capability. HF radio fiddly but it's brilliant to be able to get wefax and human forecasts. A cheap receiver will do for this; full SSB install is not required.

What you need is determined not by how far out you go, but HOW LONG. If you're offshore for periods exceeding reasonable forecast accuracy (say, 3 days), then you need Delorme or HF.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phone, offshore, phone, service