Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2018, 20:06   #16

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Bullet Didn't Dodge a BB

Sounds like you are on to the ideal answer, if it is not discoballs alone, might be a gun that shoots discoballs. BTW, does the old Bullet M2 still work, and is it on the market? I might offer some used discoballs in exchange.
Old 14-05-2018, 20:19   #17

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

The old one doesn't work.
I get one light on it.
Disassembly was easy, I just unscrewed the retaining nut on the antenna terminal and slid out the guts from the ethernet end.
I couldn't see any damage to components at all, no corrosion either.

The replacement looks the same and works just like the original.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 20:30   #18

Boat: Cutter rigged Tahitiana

Here, on moorings,
in Southern Tasmania each autumn we get an invasion of cormorants looking for winter roosting spots. Their manure sets like concrete and then takes paint off when you try to clean it off. Once settled for a couple of days they will assume ownership of the spreaders, pushpits/pulpits etc. they seem to decide on particular boats each season, possibly the least used.

My solution, with which I have measured great success compared with neighbouring boats, is to buy the flat thin ribbons of nylon bird line, tie a metal shackle to each end, and fasten them to the bottom of opposite shrouds. The tension needs to be loose enough for the shackles to vibrate against the shrouds, which sends a buzz up the mast even in very light breezes. They hate it!

For the occasional one who tries it on on my bowsprit pulpit, I wrap lengths of the sponge rubber split tubing you can buy in hardware shops, around the 1inch rails, with short nails poking up vertically every 6 inches or so through the material. It's a pain to remove when going for a sail, but still less time than cleaning.

In high summer, evaporating smears of any solvent on exposed wood has worked as well!
Christian W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 07:27   #19

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojurnr View Post
I just wonder, has anyone tried stringing fishing line from the mast down to the safety rails in a radial pattern or something like that? I understand they have a hard time seeing it and are frightened off by running into something they can't see.
Monofilament line is the only thing I've found that works consistently, apparently for the reasons you mention. You don't need much of a pattern. Just string one along each area where they might take off or land. To keep them off my Bimini, I just run a line of it from one forward corner, around the top of the mast, and back to the other corner (it's a power boat.)

I haven't tried the trick of leaving a dead bird on deck, but many have sworn that it works.

Just about anything else will scare them away at first, but they'll get used to it in a few days. I've seen them sitting on plastic owls, fake snakes and even whirligigs, and among fluttering CDs or pennants. Maybe those few days of deterrence are all you need, before they find another roost. But don't count on it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 08:33   #20

One of these days, I'm going to make up some kind of sensing thing which will run a 12 volt motor with an off balance flywheel.
I'll clamp it on a cap shroud which will shake the rig when it senses a bird landing.
Either a sensor, or maybe just a timer to activate.
It's been in the back of my mind for a long time.
One of these days....

Ayn Rand
Old 15-05-2018, 08:41   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Onlinemetals.com is having a three-day 20% off sale. You might pick up a foot of pipe, your choice of brass or titanium or something more mundane, and sleeve the new bullet with it.

Did the old bullet die? Unless the BB took out something critical, I'd expect it to be repairable.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 08:58   #22

Post #17

Ayn Rand
Old 15-05-2018, 09:16   #23

Boat: Little Harbor 58

I got run out of a marina where I owned the slip and the marina was in a bird sanctuary. Emails kept coming saying I should do something about it, kites, pennants, CD's etc. Nothing worked. The mast is 82' off the water and the wind blows the crap on the neighboring boats (power type). It got hateful. I sold the slip.

Soon people will complain when their neighbors leaves blow into their yard.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 19:18   #24

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Haha - I'm enjoying this thread considerably. Not least in realisation that the issue is universal! Tried a lot of things, but being on a marina with lots of neighbours certainly reduces the odds that they will choose your boat. I keep a slingshot (catapault) and ammo on-board to discourage those 'first settlers'. More recently this one particular bird has been looking to take up residence - a majestic and beautiful egret with long stork-like legs and long straight bill. He wants to roost on the deck and I cant easily send one up his clacker at such close range without risking injury (him from the shot, and me from anyone who might see me take it)! I have resorted to popping up the companionway at intervals and rushing at it waving and hollering, no doubt to the great amusement of anyone watching. Even though I am only on the boat infrequently, he seems to be taking the hint so far....
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 06:08   #25

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerandy View Post
He wants to roost on the deck and I cant easily send one up his clacker at such close range without risking injury (him from the shot, and me from anyone who might see me take it)! I have resorted to popping up the companionway at intervals and rushing at it waving and hollering, no doubt to the great amusement of anyone watching. Even though I am only on the boat infrequently, he seems to be taking the hint so far....
Well, I don't want to discourage your approach. It certainly has entertainment value.

But to actually solve the problem, you want to make your deck less hospitable. Monofilament fishing line strung strategically to make landing and taking off risky would do the trick. Although, with a bird that size, you'd need some high-test line.

Good luck!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 06:27   #26

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Just an fyi. most of the migtratory birds like seagulls are protected under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act (US)– meaning it’s illegal to hunt, take, capture or kill them, among other things.

Apparently based on this story, it's also illegal in the UK Clive Cresswell must pay £900 after shooting seagull with Walther air pistol | Daily Mail Online

So if you are going to shoot at them, do it on the down low.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 10:45   #27

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Onlinemetals.com is having a three-day 20% off sale. You might pick up a foot of pipe, your choice of brass or titanium or something more mundane, and sleeve the new bullet with it.

Did the old bullet die? Unless the BB took out something critical, I'd expect it to be repairable.
A breech plug and an undercarriage on that pipe, and it'd be more fun than a bb gun.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 16:06   #28

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Paint ball works