Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2014, 10:48   #16

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: Best operating system for cruising computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
You do realize you can install windows 8.1 directly from a jump drive, right? And I've found that most of the time the upgrades work out fine. I think you just don't like win 8 and you're not interested in looking into the solutions and ways that it works best. For the common consumer, install media is going the way of the dinosaur and many users don't even have optical drives anymore. I'm fine with that.

Other solutions are to ghost your PC from time to time. Then you have an actual image of the HDD in case of failure.

Any modern OS is fine if you know how to handle it well. Pick the one you're best at. W8.1, W7, Android, Mac, Linux (many flavors).
Please tell me how to create a jump drive that I can reinstall Windows 8.1 fresh from. As far as I can tell, if the recovery partition is no good, you are screwed.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 11:00   #17

Re: Best operating system for cruising computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Please tell me how to create a jump drive that I can reinstall Windows 8.1 fresh from. As far as I can tell, if the recovery partition is no good, you are screwed.
Please see:
Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help
Old 15-07-2014, 11:21   #18

Re: Best Operating System for Cruising Computer

I get invalid key. I pulled it out of the BIOS and I know it works with Win 8.0 OEM, but when I tried to make a recovery USB it died when the recovery partition was invalid, so I've updated it to Win 8.1, and figure I'll have to image it for backup/restore, although I'm installing Win 7 on it right now and if I can get that to run I may dual boot Linux.

My main concern about this thread was things like if you had to rebuild your PC while cruising, I guess from scratch wouldn't really be an option because of the huge downloads? They're pulling support for Win 7 next, what happens when you dock and say "Hey! Free wifi!" and you get an update that blasts "Your version of Windows is AT RISK AND UNSUPPORTED!" all over.
Old 15-07-2014, 11:40   #19
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Don't you love pcs? All those different untested 3rd party vendors thrown into a soup, all pointing fingers at each other when some hw glitch makes boooo goes wrong?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 11:51   #20

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

End of WIN7 support is still a few years away. Look how long it took them to end updates and support of XP.
Old 15-07-2014, 12:12   #21

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Funny I have a completely different take on this..

I plan to purchase a Surface as my cruising computer. I have used all 3 versions of the Surface at work and think its a fantastic device. Our company has zero issues with Windows 8.1 Update 1 (installed on over 1000 PCs). Granted it wasn't so solid before SP1, but after that it has been fine. Update 1 makes it more friendly on regular PCs.

The Surface has a utility to create a USB recovery key. Simply pop the key in and bring you Surface back to factory default (for a Surface 3 that is Windows 8.1 Update 1).

The only downside is the Surface doesn't have a built in GPS so you must use an external for apps like OpenCPN and Coastal Explorer.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 12:56   #22

Boat: Custom Ketch Asperida

My choice is Ubuntu 12.04 + VirtualBox. So far I haven't found any Nav. software which doesn't like this setup (except MaxSea TZ). By the way , if anybody knows how to run MaxSea in the virtual enviroment I would appreciate some tips.
T.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 13:35   #23

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I'm guessing MaxSea doesn't work as it needs a Direct 3d video card.

Here is a link to enable this in VirtualBox (its experimental though).
How To Enable Windows 7 Aero Effects Inside VirtualBox

Another option would be to use an RDP client to connect to the "Guest", instead of the VirtualBox application. There might be other issues with this though (USB connections).
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 08:48   #24

Boat: Wylo 35,

Ok, what about Mac OS?
I have similar dilemma as autumnbreeze27 . And I am thinking to install All-In-One instead laptop, ‘cause laptop takes all space on chart table. I never came across with Macs earlier, but now after reading few articles, it seems to me Mac is better than PC. They have better quality and more reliable for long term running.
Am I right?
vtlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 09:13   #25

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtlli View Post

I never came across with Macs earlier, but now after reading few articles, it seems to me Mac is better than PC. They have better quality and more reliable for long term running.
Am I right?
I don't think so, but don't have numbers to do proper analysis. I'd expect a bell curve, as with other makers. And then probably some PC brands (or models) are better than others, too.

Apple uses a different business model, good for some folks, not as much for others.

It's a big "it depends" -- and the user is a big part of the equation; it's not just the hardware and software.

The all-in-one may have some advantages. The one our neighbor had was surprisingly heavy (when I helped her take it back for some kind of repair).

You might also investigate laptop/tablet combos if space is an issue.

Or maybe even just a decent tablet.... with wireless mouse and keyboard... depending on how much screen real estate you need.

-Chris
Old 17-07-2014, 09:24   #26

I'm thinking Linux.

Most modern OS (Windows or Mac/OSX) are all intent on spying on you. That's why you need a microsoft account, or an itunes account, so they know who you are and what computer your using. Now I'm not hear to debate how wrong that is, but when you go to hook up to some spotty 3rd world internet and wonder why it's hardly usable, it's because your OS is going to be trying to phone home, and then complying with whatever "updates" or other goodies are needed to be sent.

I'm thinking I'll have to run some kind of firewall, just more hassle. Otherwise the safest would be Linux I would think.
Old 17-07-2014, 09:38   #27

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Quote:
My background: I own an IT consulting company with over 20 years in the industry. We recently moved aboard and I still have my desktop computer at the nav table, but it takes up too much space and I want to replace it with a high end notebook, like a Lenovo Thinkpad (W540, T440, etc) or maybe an HP Envy 17.

The biggest issue I've found is Windows 8. You get a new computer and it has Windows 8 on it. They don't give you an install disk anymore, it's a recovery partition, and once you update to 8.1 it breaks.

So what do you do if your hard drive fails? Because that's where the damn recovery partition is! You can restore an image of your computer and hope that works, otherwise you've got to install Windows 8, then download 4GB to update to 8.1, and between all that probably another 2gb of updates. Doesn't sound like a solution to me where internet can be spotty, slow, and expensive.

So I'm debating Windows 7 or Linux, but then the issue is drivers, since Microsoft is strong arming the hardware folks to not make 7 work anymore to force this 8 crap on us.

So for any tech guys out cruising with newer hardware (I'm not going to use a PC with XP) what do you find works?

I am sure you know as 20 year veteran IT consultant, that one of the first things you are supposed to do is create a rescue disk? That would go for whatever operating system you choose.

As indicated, this rescue disk can be put on a thumbdrive.

I am however partial to Linux....I liked Ubuntu until they changed to a tablet style desktop, but it's still a good OS with lots of hardware and software support. With WINE you can run just about anything that's "windows only".
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 09:44   #28

Boat: Wylo 35,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
And then probably some PC brands (or models) are better than others, too.
-Chris
Thanks Chris
I thinking (just thinking – not decided yet) to move completely to Macs: iMAC or Mac mini, and iPad. I will need quite powerful machine for 3D freelance work as I going to live on the boat (I just finishing to build her ) My present computer really old, and for the new boat I will buy new computer. iPad (again - just thinking) to use for navigation.
And, which PC brands are better then others? (I would go for Sony Vaio, as I own 10 years old one, which was sailed with me for 4 years in Ireland and 6 years in the boat building shed. But recently I’ve got reply from them: they are stopping computer production)
Vitaliy
vtlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 10:15   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:

So for any tech guys out cruising with newer hardware (I'm not going to use a PC with XP) what do you find works?
It depends where you are going cruising. On this forum often a "circumnavigation" means around Long Island, USA. But if you are actually going somewhere you better investigate the lowest possible denominator purchasing ability. If your computer goes bung in Tonga you will, with luck and a long delay, be able to buy, fix, replace, etc, the normal latest Windows system.

But some wanky Ubantu Soy Linux Latte Mococcino? You've got buckleys chance and none.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 10:20   #30
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I bought two Lenovo Y500's last year. Never again.

Back to using an ASUS with Win 7, but starting to look around.

Tags
cruising