Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2014, 10:24   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Best Operating System for Cruising Computer

Interesting posts. Basically all new Windows computers come with 8.1 loaded. I hated it at first but it was just a learning curve. With 8.1 I can run it almost the same as Win7 or switch and use Apps. So far no crashes and I have had my system for about a year. It came with Win8 and I updated with no problems. I don't mind it at all now.

I ran Linux for a number of yrs. but found it difficult. Very steep learning curve and there is so much outdated information on the internet it is very difficult to find help without going to a Linux Geek chat room. That can be an experience.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 10:44   #32

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
It depends where you are going cruising. On this forum often a "circumnavigation" means around Long Island, USA. But if you are actually going somewhere you better investigate the lowest possible denominator purchasing ability. If your computer goes bung in Tonga you will, with luck and a long delay, be able to buy, fix, replace, etc, the normal latest Windows system.

I upgraded ubuntu in vanuatu. All that is needed is an internet connection and it is not a long delay, luck or any cost.

For all the new low power arm boards which cost $60 use 3 watts of power and can run opencpn like a video game, you must run linux.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 19:06   #33

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post

The biggest issue I've found is Windows 8. You get a new computer and it has Windows 8 on it. They don't give you an install disk anymore, it's a recovery partition, and once you update to 8.1 it breaks.

So what do you do if your hard drive fails? Because that's where the damn recovery partition is! You can restore an image of your computer and hope that works, otherwise you've got to install Windows 8, then download 4GB to update to 8.1, and between all that probably another 2gb of updates. Doesn't sound like a solution to me where internet can be spotty, slow, and expensive.
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, didn't look through the entire thread, but you can copy your hard drive image (Windows 8.1, after you have it where you want it) and download a program called carbon copy I believe it's called. You basically are just copying everything on another hard drive (I recommend a western digital Blue or black series, make sure you get a laptop drive if you get a laptop). You can buy a USB to serial port for the hard drive connection for the transfer. Once it's copied you can set the back up drive in the static bag it came in and a zip lock and show it away somewhere.

If your drive should ever fail, you just pop the back up in and it will boot right up. You can also continually make newer copies but I would always keep that fresh 8.1 saved for a control.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 19:20   #34

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

For boat use a solid state hard drive is much better. Much less chance of failure. It can withstand shocks without failure.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 04:23   #35

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
For boat use a solid state hard drive is much better. Much less chance of failure. It can withstand shocks without failure.
Agreed, definitely get this in your new pc. Though backup drive isn't that necessary.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 04:40   #36

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I would get a backup computer rather than a backup drive. I love my c720p.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 04:44   #37

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtlli View Post
Thanks Chris
I thinking (just thinking – not decided yet) to move completely to Macs: iMAC or Mac mini, and iPad. I will need quite powerful machine for 3D freelance work as I going to live on the boat (I just finishing to build her ) My present computer really old, and for the new boat I will buy new computer. iPad (again - just thinking) to use for navigation.
And, which PC brands are better then others? (I would go for Sony Vaio, as I own 10 years old one, which was sailed with me for 4 years in Ireland and 6 years in the boat building shed. But recently I’ve got reply from them: they are stopping computer production)
Vitaliy

Sorry, haven't kept current on various stats. Probably somebody like C-Net keeps track of stuff like that.

FWIW, I usually just call 1-800-Dell and have them send whatever... usually slightly -- sometimes highly -- customized.... but that's much more about easing the pain of selection, and their "business class" service is really good. It's probably easy enough to do the same with other vendors.

-Chris
Old 29-07-2014, 20:55   #38

Boat: Rival 32

My philosophy is to use a dedicated laptop at the NAV station, an old Compaq dual core model, running Windows 7. You only need the expensive laptops to play resource hungry video games or for the internet.
The NAV laptop it is loaded with navigation programs with a USB GPS receiver. This laptop does not get connected to the internet, so therefore does not a need Windows update or a virus checker. The laptop cost about £100 ($150) on Ebay, so I carry an identical spare.
The hard drive is easy to replace so I also clone the hard drives, this is relatively easy to do, you just need a hard drive cradle and as I use WD drives they have a free clone program.
Footnote, I have just installed a (SSD) solid state drives, the laptop is now lightening fast.
Old 31-07-2014, 18:16   #39

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

MacBook Pro/OSX

Best backup utilities included, keep a install image as spare, restore with TimeMachine.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising