Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2021, 21:43   #16

Re: B&G auto Pilot?

I am struggling to find the b&g auto pilot core. The ram and triton controls are no problem.

Is the Simrad kit swappable?
Makr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:57   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makr0 View Post
I am struggling to find the b&g auto pilot core. The ram and triton controls are no problem.

Is the Simrad kit swappable?

Yes. Identical units but for stencilled names.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:07   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I would advance the contrary view. It’s a good idea to have a wired dedicated AP control, even if you have other more sophisticated means of control as well.
You need at least a chartplotter to commission the system. This also provides a wired, but not a dedicated connection.

I am curious why you and others feel a second and dedicated wired connection is so needed. Personally, we have found a wireless solution hanging around our neck and always at hand is far more practical. This will not suit everyone, but I think it is viable alternative at a similar cost to a fixed and dedicated wired control.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:30   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
You need at least a chartplotter to commission the system. This also provides a wired, but not a dedicated connection.

I am curious why you and others feel a second and dedicated wired connection is so needed. Personally, we have found a wireless solution hanging around our neck and always at hand is far more practical. This will not suit everyone, but I think it is viable alternative at a similar cost to a fixed and dedicated wired control.
IIRC, commissioning can be done with a Triton
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 10-09-2021, 03:34   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:

Yes, when a B&G chartplotter is available then just the wireless remote will be fine. The software for AP control installed in the chartplotter is the same as for another wired control. It’s even better, as it allows more modes without reconfiguring.

I have a plotter and a Triton keypad + display next to each other and always use the keypad because it is more convenient.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:43   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
IIRC, commissioning can be done with a Triton
Nice to know.

I have been wondering how to wire my second autopilot. Unfortunately, the second NAC3 needs repair so I have not been able to finalise the system. Ideally it would be better on a completely different network. The second unit will work fine via a wireless remote without a connected chart-plotter, but cannot be commissioned this way.

My current thinking is to commission the system with a chart-plotter and then switch the chart-plotter back to the primary system, but a Triton wired into the second network may be a useful alternative. Thanks.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:03   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Nice to know.

I have been wondering how to wire my second autopilot. Unfortunately, the second NAC3 needs repair so I have not been able to finalise the system. Ideally it would be better on a completely different network. The second unit will work fine via a wireless remote without a connected chart-plotter, but cannot be commissioned this way.

My current thinking is to commission the system with a chart-plotter and then switch the chart-plotter back to the primary system, but a Triton wired into the second network may be a useful alternative. Thanks.
Remember you need the Triton keypad as well as the display but I’m not sure if this is also required for configuration

Old 10-09-2021, 06:31   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Remember you need the Triton keypad as well as the display but I’m not sure if this is also required for configuration

Not required for commissioning, but the Triton will not operate the pilot without the keypad.
Walt Whitman
Old 10-09-2021, 06:36   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Nice to know.

If I had a complete second operational pilot (what luxury), I would for sure construct a mini network for it, if it required a network. That would be dead simple. All you need is a compass besides the Triton and keypad and rudder sensor and pilot computer. You wouldn't have nav or wind mode but who cares. Or you could do one of those cheap 7" Vulcan plotters instead of the Triton and keypad and have backup for that, too, and nav mode.
Walt Whitman
Old 11-09-2021, 10:35   #25

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m

Quote:
I recommend against the fixed, wired, dedicated control heads for the AP. I have no experience with the wireless remote because I use wifi and the iSailor app to control the AP wirelessly.
Sorry,
I think you have to be a bit careful with the term "control".
ISailor will not control your pilot, it will simply "guide" it over a route, when the AP is working in NAV or NO DRIFT modes.
I think it is better to assign the word "control" to the action that the keypad performs.
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 23:03   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehani View Post
Sorry,
I think you have to be a bit careful with the term "control".
ISailor will not control your pilot, it will simply "guide" it over a route, when the AP is working in NAV or NO DRIFT modes.
I think it is better to assign the word "control" to the action that the keypad performs.
Well, I can move my rudder port or starboard in NFU mode, dodge objects etc. as well as engage it on a route or waypoint which are all functions of the wired keypad, so it’s much more than just providing a navigation source. More power to it: this even works from an Apple Watch

Old 12-09-2021, 11:28   #27

Quote:
Well, I can move my rudder port or starboard in NFU mode, dodge objects etc. as well as engage it on a route or waypoint which are all functions of the wired keypad, so it’s much more than just providing a navigation source. More power to it: this even works from an Apple Watch
Excuse me, I didn't know iSailor could do it.
Does Gofree wireless module work as a gateway?
Old 12-09-2021, 12:15   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Excuse me, I didn't know iSailor could do it.
Does Gofree wireless module work as a gateway?
I use the Yacht Devices Ethernet gateway plugged into our Ethernet switch, which also has a dual band wifi access point.

I tried to find a picture but couldn’t find it… but you have three main buttons: Standby, Track and Dodge. Once you select Track, it starts following the current route or goto. Once you select dodge, the familiar +1, +10, -1 and -10 degree buttons appear and you are in heading mode.

The disadvantage is that this ties up the iPad or iPhone and you can’t switch to another app. For this reason we’re back using a B&G Vulcan plotter.

Old 12-09-2021, 13:32   #29

Quote:
I use the Yacht Devices Ethernet gateway plugged into our Ethernet switch, which also has a dual band wifi access point.

I tried to find a picture but couldn’t find it… but you have three main buttons: Standby, Track and Dodge. Once you select Track, it starts following the current route or goto. Once you select dodge, the familiar +1, +10, -1 and -10 degree buttons appear and you are in heading mode.

The disadvantage is that this ties up the iPad or iPhone and you can’t switch to another app. For this reason we’re back using a B&G Vulcan plotter.
I have been manufacturing a mux / gateway for about 7 years. One of the latest innovations is a web form with the appearance of a keypad, resident on the same device, which can be opened with any browser. Then, the gateway translates the orders received via WiFi to the type of pilot that is connected, and sends them through Seatalk, SeatalkNG (Evolution) and Simnet (Navico pilots with Simnet), as the case may be. Surely its operation will be something similar to what you have.

I don't like that system too much because the batteries of the tablet or smartphone last little, so I also make a wireless remote control with a data display that has an ultra-low consumption. Its autonomy is several months with daily use.

This gateway also sends the data via WiFi UDP of all the electronics on board and receives the navigation information from iSailor, OpenCPN, Timezero and others; translates it and sends it to the pilot for TRACK (NAV) and NO DRIFT modes.
Old 13-09-2021, 00:37   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have been manufacturing a mux / gateway for about 7 years. One of the latest innovations is a web form with the appearance of a keypad, resident on the same device, which can be opened with any browser. Then, the gateway translates the orders received via WiFi to the type of pilot that is connected, and sends them through Seatalk, SeatalkNG (Evolution) and Simnet (Navico pilots with Simnet), as the case may be. Surely its operation will be something similar to what you have.

I don't like that system too much because the batteries of the tablet or smartphone last little, so I also make a wireless remote control with a data display that has an ultra-low consumption. Its autonomy is several months with daily use.

This gateway also sends the data via WiFi UDP of all the electronics on board and receives the navigation information from iSailor, OpenCPN, Timezero and others; translates it and sends it to the pilot for TRACK (NAV) and NO DRIFT modes.
That software don’t need that as it’s already built in. I understand you like designing and building your own hardware solutions, which is great and I do this myself as well, but for sailors in this forum to control their autopilot, chart plotters, keypad/display combinations and iPads/iPhones is the way to go.