Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2022, 10:44   #1

Boat: Mumby 48
Axiom won't connect to wifi

I just got a new Axiom 9 mfd. I got it to turn on. (small victory) But I can't get it to connect to my wifi to update Lighthouse. I go to Settings, then Getting Started, Wifi Settings. It then endlessly displays "obtaining IP address - but never does. I'm tryingt to connect to my Samsung TabA hotspot. I think this will be a long process.
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 11:36   #2

Re: Axiom won't connect to wifi

You'll need to go to Settings > This Display > scroll down once using the down arrow at the bottom of the page > in the lower right hand corner, select "Configure" next to WIFI connection settings.

The next page allows you to setup and join a WiFi network
Jake Tanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 12:12   #3

Thanks, Jake. But I believe that configures so other mobile devices can connect to this mfd's access point. But, what I want, is to connect this mfd to my mobile device's access point. Or do I misunderstand something here?
Old 23-03-2022, 12:31   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

You will burn all your high speed data on your mobile hotspot trying to update the Lighthouse software. They are very large files. I would only bother updating the Axiom via WiFi if it was connected to a reliable, high speed internet. With slow download speeds I've had the Lighthouse downloads freeze on me several times and then have to restart from the beginning. I've found it simpler to download the software updates from my home computer to an SD card then upload to the Axiom from the SD card when I get to the boat.
Cuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 12:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurean View Post
Thanks, Jake. But I believe that configures so other mobile devices can connect to this mfd's access point. But, what I want, is to connect this mfd to my mobile device's access point. Or do I misunderstand something here?

Sorry, misread your post. To connect to WiFi I use the "Apps" page. At the main "Apps" landing page there's a rectangular box in the upper right hand corner that either shows the connected SSID or will say Not Connected. Selecting this box will open the WiFi configuration page where one can select from available networks (and turn wifi on/off).
Jake Tanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 12:45   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 349

So you can go into the setting and click update and then update from the web and it will take you to a page where you can join a hotspot. You then can select your hotspot. I have done this myself. On the data front, in a modern data plan, you are fine. It’s like 2GB for an update and almost everyone has unlimited these days.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 13:26   #7

Cuvee, I take your point about large file size. And, since I don;t have unlimited data on my tablet at the boat, I'll follow your suggestion with the SD card. But the problem I wrote about still exists: It sees my 6ablet hotspot and tries to connect, but can't get an IP address. I guess I'll transfer my SIM card to my Asus smart phone and try that. Other than software updates I guess I need to connect to te internect for certain apps.
Old 23-03-2022, 17:38   #8

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

When it tries to connect to your hotspot does it ask for the password? Not sure it needs an IP address for WiFi connection.
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 21:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
When it tries to connect to your hotspot does it ask for the password? Not sure it needs an IP address for WiFi connection.
Yes. I gave it the password that works on the other devices that can connect without problem. (I turned tem off to make sure I wasn't overloading the system.)
Usually solving these problems seems to come down to finding what simple error I've made. I realize this mfd has so much capability the process is going to be a long one, I fear.
Old 24-03-2022, 04:08   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I suggest you simply move yr boat to a point much nearer to a strong WiFi signal. That is what i did due to poor signal strength where my boat was moored in the marina. Updating the software in yr Axiom is a different thing to updating yr navigation memory card (Navionics?). Latter can be done by inserting the Nav card in yr laptop and then taking yr laptop to a spot where e there is a strong signal. (I have a Axiom 9 and also Raymarine Doppler radar which connects to the Axiom by wifi). My updates all work fine.
Andrew
Old 24-03-2022, 09:01   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
I suggest you simply move yr boat to a point much nearer to a strong WiFi signal. That is what i did due to poor signal strength where my boat was moored in the marina. Updating the software in yr Axiom is a different thing to updating yr navigation memory card (Navionics?). Latter can be done by inserting the Nav card in yr laptop and then taking yr laptop to a spot where e there is a strong signal. (I have a Axiom 9 and also Raymarine Doppler radar which connects to the Axiom by wifi). My updates all work fine.
Andrew
Seems like the server for the download has pretty slow speeds. When I downloaded an update, I was getting under 1mbps while the speed test had me at over 100mpbs.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 05:39   #12

Thanks for all the help. I believe the problem is just an incompatibility between my tablet and mfd. When I get another hotspot I'll try that. In the meantime I'll update with an SD card

Tags
wifi