Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2020, 15:51   #46

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: AIS recommendation

1. Built-in splitter. I don’t like splitters anyway. They’re tough to design and build correctly. As a component, a good one isn’t cheap, even if it’s built in. I’d prefer a separate antenna. But it’s a reasonable design choice. Lots of people love splitters.
2. The wireless mike is a lovely idea, but a lot of the earlier ones didn’t work very well. Remains to be seen how well this one works. If it does, then the only advantage of the cable is to keep the mic on board.

3. I have the SH VH310 commercial handset on my current radio. I still had to add an external speaker. Getting old is miserable. I’ve never broken one, but the cord is too short and they don’t sell an extension.

4. I’ve never actually seen the Cortex mic. If it isn’t physically rugged enough for service, that would be a real issue. But just the fact that it has a big color screen doesn’t bother me unless it’s delicate. The mere fact that a different mic :looks" rugged doesn’t mean much.
5. Solid radio. I haven’t heard of problems with their black-box AIS units being fragile. Hopefully they haven’t built an expensive cheap radio. But you can’t tell from the pictures.
6. I’m not sure what big advantage an internal heading sensor provides. But in my case, I already have a GPS compass and a good GPS with all the bells and whistles. The fact that the built in ones aren’t as good as the really good external ones doesn’t seem a big problem.
7. Dual band Wifi? Even my marina doesn’t have that. Why would I need the higher data rate on a 45’ sailboat?
8. It seems to have B+ AIS and N2K unless I misread the data sheet.
9. While expensive, it doesn’t seem horribly out of line compared to buying equivalent pieces separately.
10.it doesn’t yet have the foghorn, loudhailer function working. I’d miss that.

All-in-all, it seems an interesting unit. I’m not looking for my checkbook yet, though. It’s new enough that I don’t want to be a pioneer. They’re the ones, face down on the trail with the arrows in their back. If it lives up to its press clippings in real world service, there’s a lot to like.

As to it’s overall ruggedness, many years ago when I was taking a vacation selling computers, HP came out with the Laserjet 3. Customers endlessly complained that the fold-down paper tray was flimsy. I told the HP rep. His response was to bring me half a dozen and a two-pound hammer. "pass these around to the customers when the ask." Nobody ever broke a tray.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:29   #47
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I think the reason many of the AIS makers sre going to integrated antenna splitters is so they have total control over the splitter that is being used in the system. You can't just use any old antenna splitter, it has to be digitally compatible to the AIS transmitter so it isn't damaged.

Our older EmTrak b100 had a lot of negative reviews because of failures likely caused by incompatible antenna splitters. I saw this first-hand as a boat I sailed on had a warranty replacement in this exact unit that had a splitter that, when I checked it out, was not compatible or at least wasn't on the list of approved antenna splitters published by the company.

Giving out warranty replaments is expensive, and refusing warranty claims is also expensive on a company's reputation regardless of the reasons.

I agree that having a separate.AIS antenna is a much easier option. We put ours on the stern rail and still get fairly good.performance, and in a pinch we still have another vhf antenna if we get dismasted.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:41   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
AIS recommendation

I have a different view on the Vesper Cortex model. They are certainly supporting the 8000 models, just not adding to them and I don't know what else they would add. 20 years ago no phone looked like the iPhone, now every phone does. I remember at the time many flip phone and blackberry users saying it was a toy, too fragile, no keyboard, etc. Just because it's different doesn't mean it won't work/stand up to hard use. I've had my hands on an early model and it's a very nicely made piece of gear. I'll give it a test at some point and report back...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:10   #49

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
I think the reason many of the AIS makers sre going to integrated antenna splitters is so they have total control over the splitter that is being used in the system. You can't just use any old antenna splitter, it has to be digitally compatible to the AIS transmitter so it isn't
Based on a discussion on the Panbo site, it seems to me that the Coretex unit could operate without a splitter, the splitter is only there to accomodate a second radio.

When you have the same radio module transmitting voice and AIS no splitting is required. An AIS message only takes a few milliseconds to transmit. The radio simply stops any voice transmission, switches to the AIS frequency, makes the transmission, then switches back to voice. Practically unnoticeable.
That is a ground breaking development that means that almost any radio could also be an AIS transponder with practically no extra hardware cost, just lots of development and certifications.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 15:51   #50
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
I have a different view on the Vesper Cortex model. They are certainly supporting the 8000 models, just not adding to them and I don't know what else they would add.
Well... SOTDMA and more power for class-B+ !

Quote:
20 years ago no phone looked like the iPhone, now every phone does. I remember at the time many flip phone and blackberry users saying it was a toy, too fragile, no keyboard, etc. Just because it's different doesn't mean it won't work/stand up to hard use. I've had my hands on an early model and it's a very nicely made piece of gear. I'll give it a test at some point and report back...
I believe smartphone like from Apple and Samsung use Gorillaglass and are the sturdiest ones out there. I don’t see how Vesper can improve on those. Would you toss your iPhone around in the cockpit during a storm? The controls it has, with the rotating ring... I had all that in other gadgets and they all worn out and failed.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 15:54   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Based on a discussion on the Panbo site, it seems to me that the Coretex unit could operate without a splitter, the splitter is only there to accomodate a second radio.

When you have the same radio module transmitting voice and AIS no splitting is required. An AIS message only takes a few milliseconds to transmit. The radio simply stops any voice transmission, switches to the AIS frequency, makes the transmission, then switches back to voice. Practically unnoticeable.
That is a ground breaking development that means that almost any radio could also be an AIS transponder with practically no extra hardware cost, just lots of development and certifications.
If this is true then that is a big disadvantage of this unit. I hope it has two antenna connections so that you can receive and transmit AIS messages while using the VHF for voice.

Old 14-09-2020, 06:59   #52

Matsutec AIS devices do not appear to have been certified or approved for sale in the US.

See The FCC authorization database at https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm (select AIS under equipment class). You can also check the Coast Guard database at https://cgmix.uscg.mil/Equipment/EquipmentSearch.aspx (Select AIS Class B or Class A under Approval Series name). FCC approval is always required, and USCG approval is additionally required if the unit doesn't already have EU or equivalent approval. Anything AIS transmitting device not listed on those databases cannot be legally sold in the US.

Matsutec has also apparently been selling AIS fishnet markers illegally in the US, which the FCC has been looking into.
joehersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 07:33   #53

In case you didn’t notice the price is in Australian Dollars. That means you have to convert to US dollars and ship to US. There goes your great price!
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 08:14   #54

Boat: Morgan O/I 41'

Remember Paul, you get what you pay for... That being said and with all the other input you have received I'll give you my nickel's worth:
I have a Vesper 8000. While not the cheapest is it very reliable and works well with my tablet via built in wifi. Good luck!
CaptnKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 09:03   #55

Boat: Cooper 416

I bought and installed that one last year and I’m quite happy with it so far. I decided not to use a VHF splitter, and installed a dedicated AIS antenna on a mast that also holds the Matsutec GPS antenna. I quickly learned to dislike the display, and opted for a Digital Yacht smart wifi server. I’m now able to see the AIS overlay on Navionics, and as a side benefit, it allows me to use my non-GPS equipped IPad with Navionics as well as a backup, using the Matsutec generated NMEA data and wifi.
Of course there’s lots of Valid options and opinions out there, but I’m happy with what I chose.
dleathem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 10:44   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So on iPad apps for AIS, it seems they are all chart plotters that show AIS targets. With my Vesper I got the Watchmate app which is great and allows you to see into the future like I explained before.

I wonder if there are more apps that can do this, which work with any AIS unit, not just as a companion to the hardware device. Who found one? I used to have one for Windows but think it was discontinued.

Old 14-09-2020, 14:28   #57

Boat: Hohmann Cutter 36

I installed a Matsutec HP-33A AIS a few years ago. I very satisfied and as an experienced seafarer can validate its performance against more expensive class B units. With a Yakker wifi router connected I can receive AIS and GPS date to OpenCPN on the laptop and AIS infor onto navionics on phone and tablet. Features for routing, waypoints etc very similar to old Furuno GPS.

The matsutec came complete in the box for installation. When I wanted to change the MMSI number the customer support was fast and helpful. No complaints. I purchased my unit direct and delivery was fast after payment received. You can contact then direct at - sales003@huayang-tech.com .
Truce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 15:39   #58

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

Slave labor is always going to be cheaper,
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 16:00   #59

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
In case you didn’t notice the price is in Australian Dollars. That means you have to convert to US dollars and ship to US. There goes your great price!

I think maybe you misunderstand the current exchange rate mate.
Old 14-09-2020, 16:02   #60

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn ken View Post
Slave labor is always going to be cheaper,

Ummmm.... I think you will find many of the more expensive brands are less than morally pure about where they source their labour.

Tags
ais, men