Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2020, 08:15   #76

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: AIS recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreacher View Post
Unfortunate that transceivers aren't built in the US. Wouldn't buy anything cheap if I can find better quality. And, if I can find a US-made item, that will be the first one I look at. So yeah - BUY AMERICAN or at least not cheap Chinese.
Or even better, buy Russian. Fully endorsed by that weird orange guy.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:25   #77

Boat: a sailing boat

I will disappoint you when I tell you 99% consumers (that's you) buy not by 'US made' or 'Russia made' but only by the price ticket attached.

Now jump all over me tell me you are the other 1%. Good luck.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:31   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreacher View Post
Unfortunate that transceivers aren't built in the US. Wouldn't buy anything cheap if I can find better quality. And, if I can find a US-made item, that will be the first one I look at. So yeah - BUY AMERICAN or at least not cheap Chinese.
While your sentiment is understood, the reality these days is that corporations are global. Even a company like Garmin, who is headquartered in Kansas, is incorporated in Switzerland and manufactures in Taiwan. That's unlikely to change anytime soon.

Vesper is manufactured in New Zealand (but I'll bet you they get boards from China), Raymarine in Hungary. As with most products, it's not where the parts are put on the board, it's what the company who ordered the board is doing to manage quality, through design, quality control, and customer support.
abarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:14   #79

Boat: Norseman 447

I’d suspect that the Matsutec "works." The people who complain that it doesn’t have this or that feature should have known that when they bought it cheap. Lousy documentation isn’t limited to "cheap Chinese" products. "Buying American" is nice in theory. It might help keep American companies employing people in the US. But trying to decide "what’s an American product isn’t easy. How many, of what kind of parts need to be US? 50%? Which 50%? Try to buy an American-madecell phone or TV.

Maybe it is exactly like the Furuno. But the guys assembling this in China have no interest in good warranty or after-sale support, or any incentive to provide spare parts or software upgrades into the future. Furuno does. That’s worth something to some buyers.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, men