Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2014, 03:19   #16

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2
Re: 240 volt alternator

A generator puts out 240volts and costs around 4000 gbp for a silent one.
It will need to be fitted the same as another engine.
So i was thinking of why put another say 20HP engine in the boat next to me 43HP diesel engine when i can install an alternator to do the same thing on the engine that is already there.. It was to save space on a installed stationary small genset. That would run on diesel instead of petrol etc and i wouldnt have to carry different fuel types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
Not being critical, I am just curious about what particular need you have for 240V power? As mentioned by others, things like microwave ovens and fridges can run from an inverter just fine, but if you have a need for a large and constant amount of 240V power something like this might work well, just wondering what that need would be?
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 03:56   #17

Boat: Valiant 42

Dear NM,

You can get diesel fueled generators but they are more costly than petrol ones.

If you need 240V power for several hours each day your idea is not a good one in my experience. You should find a few other cruisers with the setup you are thinking about and see how it has worked for them. If you can't find anyone with the system you are considering just ask yourself why that would be the case as you are not the first to think of the idea. If this kind of approach was reliable and did not destroy engines there would be lots of them in boats.

If you only need 240V power for a few minutes each day consider an inverter/charger and solar panels.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 23:04   #18
Marine Service Provider

I have a design build that is 240 3 phase at 600 hz, It is powered by a 2 cylinder diesel, driven from the rear crank/pulley.

It is by design a battery charger.

But it operates as a power supply to an inverter, at 12/24/36/48 volts in, and 120/240 out @ 600/60 cycle.

I can charge a large battery bank 60 feet round trip at 320 amps, 12 v nominal on 3 X #6 cables, with less then 2% voltage drop, at about 85% machine efficiency. Or power a 5.5KVA inverter.

If you want 60 cycle, I can do that with a hz converter, but if you already have a resilient inverter then that is your hz converter, including a variable speed prime mover.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
Has any body installed on there boat a 240Volt alternator to the engine to use the same as a generator?
There is a brand called Power-Tek which im looking for advice whether its as good as it sounds?
Mobile power vehicle mounted power solutions - Power with Unipower
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:39   #19

Boat: Beneteau 39.3

I've just bought 1 of ebay a power-Tek marine generator ,and looking for more thoughts on it ,I was going to put it on a yanmar 3jh 4ee ,just for a bit of Aircon / heat ,as have no heating , I'm worried about drag on engine and bearings ,on my 40 Bene its tight for a genny more space fuel ,for only a dozen or 2 hours a year,please no smart ass replays ,
Rickymarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:19   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ricky.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator