Two separate issues, right? I view many threads without responding, because:
- I don't know enough about the subject to respond.
- I see that someone with more familiarity with the subject has already responded.
- Someone has already said what I would've.
- My response will elicit a drawn-out argument(still working on avoiding this)
- I read a thread title that is interesting, but the course of discussion is less so.
- I start reading the last few posts of a thread, then realize I'll have to go back & read the other 100 pages in order not to repeat what has already been said.
- I read a thread with an interesting title, only to realize that the OP is following a hidden agenda of selling something or someone.
The other issue of who is behind the username, seems to be different on various forums
. On some, the "invisible man/woman" seems to lack credibility, on other forums
this is less so. I don't think that it is wise to put too much personal info on the 'net, yet, like many, I made that error.