Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2017, 00:02   #226

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Who are your favourite boat bloggers / vloggers?

I am not judging bloggers. We have free choice - as they have. Nobody is obliged to subscribe or become a Patreon nor to watch the videos.

Nothing wrong when getting paid for the Ads Google shows on Youtube upfront too.

If this motivates people to produce higher quality content for their audience, it is a win-win situation. Don't forget, it often costs a lot of money to upload big chunk of data/videos in foreign countries to the Internet too, the vlogger must invest in video gear (cameras, lenses, microphones, watertight enclosures, drones, storage, editing software, computers) and the most expensive thing: life time for scripting, filming, commenting, cutting / editing, uploading instead of enjoying themselves...

This is hard work - especially if you do it for living and are expected to produce a weekly contribution.

For the viewer it looks like easy living and make people jealous - but in reality it is almost a full-time job, they must do all the other things beside the filming too - maintenance of the boat, planning of the routes, provisioning, writing / editing their web sites, communicating with the audience in forums, chats, e-mail, handling trolls and enthusiastic fans online and at the dock / on shore, promoting their stuff etc.... And they have to be friendly and smile in the lens, do many things twice or three times until the coverage is taped - they are often pretty good actors and reporters too.

They also need to be some kind of exhibitionists to show all the world their private life, share they thoughts and give inside views of their life and expose everything to the world. It's like a Big Brother reality show. I personally care about privacy, I could not do that.

So thank you everyone, that takes all this odds to finally entertain us, we appreciate it!

CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 14:18   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I am not judging bloggers. We have free choice - as they have. Nobody is obliged to subscribe or become a Patreon nor to watch the videos.

Nothing wrong when getting paid for the Ads Google shows on Youtube upfront too.

If this motivates people to produce higher quality content for their audience, it is a win-win situation. Don't forget, it often costs a lot of money to upload big chunk of data/videos in foreign countries to the Internet too, the vlogger must invest in video gear (cameras, lenses, microphones, watertight enclosures, drones, storage, editing software, computers) and the most expensive thing: life time for scripting, filming, commenting, cutting / editing, uploading instead of enjoying themselves...

This is hard work - especially if you do it for living and are expected to produce a weekly contribution.

For the viewer it looks like easy living and make people jealous - but in reality it is almost a full-time job, they must do all the other things beside the filming too - maintenance of the boat, planning of the routes, provisioning, writing / editing their web sites, communicating with the audience in forums, chats, e-mail, handling trolls and enthusiastic fans online and at the dock / on shore, promoting their stuff etc.... And they have to be friendly and smile in the lens, do many things twice or three times until the coverage is taped - they are often pretty good actors and reporters too.

They also need to be some kind of exhibitionists to show all the world their private life, share they thoughts and give inside views of their life and expose everything to the world. It's like a Big Brother reality show. I personally care about privacy, I could not do that.

So thank you everyone, that takes all this odds to finally entertain us, we appreciate it!

Yes , many of us work full time to make a living , and oft not in such exotic places , lucky them , good on them and I don't grudge them anything
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 23:46   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
BLOGGERS, for the most part, are no different than those standing on the corner, with a sign, "Will work for food", except that their signs say to me, "Will sail for Money". Most have not yet paid their dues in life, and have not earned the right to do what they are doing, while others foot the bill. They have cheapened the image of the sincere, honest, cruiser experience, as they are in it for the money and exposure, not the spirit of adventure.
It kinda reminds me of a joke. What's the difference between an pizza and a trombone player? A pizza can feed a family of four.

But seriously. I think a lot of bloggers just do it for the fun. The ones who do beg are a bit of a turn off for me.

At the moment I really like:
Tula's Endless Summer
Sailboat Story
Drake Paragon (I love his interview videos)
Sailing Uma
Sailing Miss Lone Star
Catalpa
I'm leaving some off

I also like a few building vblogs:
SV Seeker
Salt and Tar
Samson Boat Co
Acorn to Arabella
Six Points Boat Works

PS Does anyone know of any good trawler blogs? I believe they don't exist.
Mozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 23:55   #229

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzie View Post

PS Does anyone know of any good trawler blogs? I believe they don't exist.
With my flame proof jacket on, is it because life is so easy on a trawler that there is nothing to vlog about?

Joking aside, there are trawler blogs not vlog, but they mostly deal with equipment.

For some strange reason I really like trawlers, but I think that while a sailing vessel is within easy reach of nearly anyone who can afford a car. A trawler and the money to run one (or even just buy the fuel), is out of reach of many, and so less popular.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 14:18   #230

Hey Mozzie - you listed Tula and their boat is a trawler. Although now they bought a Catamaran.

If anyone is interested in seeing a train wreck, then you have to check out Finding Simon.

Ignorance is bliss they say. And honestly, if I knew 20 years ago what I know now after opening 27 businesses, I probably wouldn't have done any!

Gotta love his energy and his positivity, but his lack of objective perspective might be his undoing. Refitting a catamaran that he WAY overpaid for at $5,000.

Having said that I've seen the most unlikely characters succeed when everything said they shouldn't. A lot more vlogs have hit the market with some interesting and many not so much. Still find this site useful:

https://sailing-channels.com/by-views

(the creator, Thomas from Two Aboard Tuuli, was actually on a couple of episodes of Sail Life helping out.
WestCoastRix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 18:59   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRix View Post
Hey Mozzie - you listed Tula and their boat is a trawler. Although now they bought a Catamaran.

If anyone is interested in seeing a train wreck, then you have to check out Finding Simon.

Ignorance is bliss they say. And honestly, if I knew 20 years ago what I know now after opening 27 businesses, I probably wouldn't have done any!

Gotta love his energy and his positivity, but his lack of objective perspective might be his undoing. Refitting a catamaran that he WAY overpaid for at $5,000.

Having said that I've seen the most unlikely characters succeed when everything said they shouldn't. A lot more vlogs have hit the market with some interesting and many not so much. Still find this site useful:

https://sailing-channels.com/by-views

(the creator, Thomas from Two Aboard Tuuli, was actually on a couple of episodes of Sail Life helping out.
I mentioned Simon some time ago. I love those people who think / act / live outside the box , wish him all the best tho have not seen any posts for month or so now , wonder what he and his dog are up to now .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 19:38   #232

I like Simon very much, but I worry for his safety going to sea in this tub. He seems to have no idea of the forces involved or even the concepts of weight distribution. He even thinks that electric propulsion is the way to go on this heavy cat.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:19   #233

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Did not go true all 16 pages but
SV Delos
Sailing Uma
Gone with the Wynns.
These are my favorite. No click baits.
Very natural and entertaining.
All 3 have very different styles.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 14:44   #234

Boat: 1986 Endeavour 42

Did anybody mention Boatworks Today?
SV Bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 17:17   #235

Boat: Hunter 45 CC

Boat Works Today is an excellent program on utube. He reminds me of Norm Abrams hoisting This Old House on PBS.
Sailor_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 16:41   #236

Sailing doodles, I found started great. The live chants tend to be very dull. Do Live Chats count as video logging? I personally think live broadcasts could be great if there was more content. Just my 2 cents worth.
Kolomaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:20   #237

Who are your favourite boat bloggers / vloggers?

LOL , really? usually their videos get millions of views, but this one only 78k. Could it be the title? Hmmm, it’s a mystery! https://youtu.be/X6D-DafAOb8
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 05:52   #238

Boat: Tartan 33

I really like this blog: Sea Change Log

The blog is not active anymore but the few videos they posted are just great. So different from the usual style.

Maribel&Chris
https://windmaiden.blog/
maijipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 08:39   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by maijipo View Post
I really like this blog: Sea Change Log

The blog is not active anymore but the few videos they posted are just great. So different from the usual style.

Maribel&Chris
https://windmaiden.blog/
Sea Change?
Good find!!

I wrote this in a different thread, comparing my favorite, Delos, with Sea Change. My take comes from many years of working on the movies you see in theaters.
Someone pointed out that it should have been in this thread...

Why don't sailing vlogs look like movies??

Shooting a reality show with long lenses and feature-quality cameras is just not practical. Reality doesn't (usually) allow multiple takes, so a greater depth of field is mandatory.(keep everything in focus) The huge footage amount and camera count means that the image quality has to be lower. (smaller files, more compression)

There are really only 3 cameras that make it to the theater: Arri Alexa/Amira, RED, Sony F55/F65. The cheapest, by far, is RED. (and most of the A-list DPs [Director of Photography] frown upon the sketchy color science in the RED) BTW, the RED Dragon costs many times what Delos people have ever used. (with lenses and gack, probably >$60K) One would have to be quite daring to take this type of gear onto a boat, but it is the only way to get cinema quality images.

In addition to cinema cameras, post production for high end productions includes color correction. In fact, this step (Digital Intermediate "the DI") is seen by many DPs as the most important step in post. Most sailing vlogs don't even attempt color correction. (which is a shame, as it used to cost $400K for Davinci hardware in 1995, now Davinci software is free!)

Finally underwater cinematography almost NEVER has proper LIGHTING on vlogs. Nat Geo divers always use serious lighting. The wonderful coral colors are lost forever in a GoPro in just ambient light. (Delos uses sadly insufficient lights, but at least lately they used SOME light)

There is only ONE sailing YouTube channel that I have seen where a proper RED camera was actually used with cinema glass. (a PITA compared to amateur stuff) These vloggers also used decent color correction, editing, and a well done music track. The down side? They forgot to bring along GIRLS, and they only made 8 or 9 videos. They didn't get very far, then quit. Frankly, it probably took MUCH more time and money per episode than any of the other 100 or so sailing vlog channels I have seen so far.

For the record, I find Delos much more entertaining, but I have yet to see such a technical visual achievement in a sailing vlog as these guys:

Sea Change
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEM...VwuigEjRnVx1zw
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 11:43   #240

Boat: Aloha 34

Interesting post cyan, as last night my wife wondered if Delos wasn't using a colour correction software as the colors from different shots, likely done with multiple cameras, was fairly consistent. I know next to nothing about production, but can certainly appreciate good production and nice shots. The Wynnes are using some lights for their underwater stuff now, and it really brings the subtleties to life. Certainly not Nat Geo level stuff, but better than nothing.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote