Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2016, 19:01   #121

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

Here's a pic of my next crew.

Hey, I thought that you were one of those who say that silicone should not be on a yacht, ever!

Jim
Old 21-01-2016, 19:04   #122

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I assisted in a delivery last year with minimal experience. I asked questions etc etc. But still I was set to walk away the first day if I showed up and things were not as advertised. I knew what travel would cost and knew that this was a risk. I don't understand how a rational person could not put a risk/reward analysis on this situation and know that the cost of travel was something at risk. Set aside the impossibility of dealing with this in a court, there's just too much chance of this going sidewise to not take into account the lost money of travel in your analysis.
Old 21-01-2016, 19:57   #123

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Do you currently have any medical conditions that would preclude you from being a crewmember on a boat?

No?

Do you currently have your wisdom teeth?

Yes?

Do you feel it matters on a cruise on a boat?

No?

If you do still have your wisdom teeth, that alone will disqualify you from being a crewmember on a submarine. All of us had to have our wisdom teeth pulled before sub school, no exceptions, even though I was older and all of mine were in nice and straight with no dental issues.

Do you feel that having your wisdom teeth is a "health issue?" The US Navy does.

The correct time to ask you about any and all medical conditions is before you spend your own money travelling to meet the rest of the crew.

It appears to me that Fred felt his "issue" was not going to affect his ability to crew, the capt. obviously felt otherwise. What should have been done was a complete interview before Fred flew out.

Just like the example above, how are you to know what unusual requirements you need for sub service? I feel the same was true for Fred, how was he to know what would exclude him from the crew? He couldn't until the capt. got down to specifics, which should have been done before Fred spent any money travelling.

I'm just putting myself in Fred's shoes. He's had whatever this "issue" is for 36 yrs and it's never affected his ability to sail before, so maybe the capt. was being overly cautious about who is on his crew, which I don't fault him for at all. It's just that his lack of attention to detail cost Fred a lot of money and time and I don't think any of us would have appreciated that happening to any of us.
No...the correct time to tell the skipper anything that might be an issue about any and all medical conditions is before you spend your own money traveling to meet the rest of the crew.
And whats with the Navy BS?... does that "win" you an argument?

"It appears to me that Fred felt his "issue" was not going to affect his ability to crew, the capt. obviously felt otherwise. What should have been done was a complete interview before Fred flew out".

Well obviously Fred was wrong to feel that way. The skipper refused voyage on an after-disclosure.
I agree that the skipper may have over reacted but we really don't know the details on either side for sure. For all we know, the skipper may have had a nightmare crew before.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 20:27   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hey, I thought that you were one of those who say that silicone should not be on a yacht, ever!

Jim
Oh no Jim, I've never said that! Must have been someone else!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 20:45   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
No...the correct time to tell the skipper anything that might be an issue about any and all medical conditions is before you spend your own money traveling to meet the rest of the crew.
And whats with the Navy BS?... does that "win" you an argument?

"It appears to me that Fred felt his "issue" was not going to affect his ability to crew, the capt. obviously felt otherwise. What should have been done was a complete interview before Fred flew out".

Well obviously Fred was wrong to feel that way. The skipper refused voyage on an after-disclosure.
I agree that the skipper may have over reacted but we really don't know the details on either side for sure. For all we know, the skipper may have had a nightmare crew before.
I thought I was very clear - the fact that any person still has their wisdom teeth is considered a medical issue by the Navy for sub duty.

So if you sat down with a recruiter and he asked you if you had ANY medical issues (and you still had your wisdom teeth) you would obviously answer, "No." There is no way for you to know that wisdom teeth are an "issue" unless you were specifically told it was.

Perhaps the same thing happened to Fred. What none of us would consider to be a medical issue, was to the Captain, but nobody would have known that until the Capt. said something - preferably before the crewmember flew out.

It doesn't really matter, we're all just speculating since we don't know what made the capt. change his mind.

Looking at it from a safety standpoint, I think he did Fred a huge favor. Anyone who owns a boat and can't scrape up more than $260 is probably chronically broke and has probably deferred important maintenance tasks due to lack of funds, or expects the crewmembers to pay for repairs or unexpected costs.

Things break all of the time, if the skipper can't afford to keep up with repairs or maintenance, that should be a deal breaker. People mention the skipper's responsibility to keep the crew safe, and properly maintaining the vessel is the foundation of keeping everyone safe.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 22:08   #126

Boat: Newport30 MKIII

I guess if you're going to disclose 'it' before you cast off, you should discuss 'it' before you get on a plane.
surfprimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 22:23   #127

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Hyenas.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 00:08   #128

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
BBT...Bare Back Transvestites? Way outta bounds buddy
Who, ME ??

OH NO ! ! !

SACRE BLEU ...

GODT HIMMEL...

BLOODY HELL...
Old 22-01-2016, 00:09   #129

Quote:
It looks more like a screw job to me.

He asked questions, got honest answers, had Fred spend his own money to fly out, then asked MORE questions, THEN decided to exclude Fred from the crew.

How would you feel if he had done it to you?
So I take his to mean that you don't have an all inclusive list of medical conditions.

I would feel upset with myself for not sharing the condition up front and then leaving the captain short handed.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 00:13   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I thought I was very careful not to say the OP has mental issues. If that's is how someone took it I apologize, the intent was a hypothetical situation. The problem is the Captain has no way of knowing if some guy he met on the internet is a total nut job.

Response to PS: Yes, I'm aware of all of those. Just didn't want to imply the guys posting here are older than dirt. But seriously, I thanks for reminding me about Faulty Towers. I haven't seen it in forever and I think I'll put it on my watch list.
By omission VAL, you admitted to NOT being a SEINFELD addict.

Shame upon you.
Old 22-01-2016, 00:19   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I thought I was very careful not to say the OP has mental issues. If that's is how someone took it I apologize, the intent was a hypothetical situation. The problem is the Captain has no way of knowing if some guy he met on the internet is a total nut job.

Response to PS: Yes, I'm aware of all of those. Just didn't want to imply the guys posting here are older than dirt. But seriously, I thanks for reminding me about Faulty Towers. I haven't seen it in forever and I think I'll put it on my watch list.
By omission VAL, you admitted to NOT being a SEINFELD addict.

Shame upon you.

Seriously sorry about thread drift.
Old 22-01-2016, 00:51   #132

Quote:
I would tell him everything that I think would have any bearing on my ability to serve as an able bodied crew member.

I usually get up in the middle of the night to go take a leak.

Is that a medical condition? Is that something that the captain feels is something that should exclude me?

I don't know, and nobody does until he asks. Fred didn't hide anything he felt was of consequence, but at the risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, if he's going to have specific things that will exclude someone from his crew, then he needs to ask those before they fly out.

!
Fred is free not to share about his condition up front but then the Captain is free to cancel his berth when he shows up at the dock having not shared.

Of course if we are going to get all legalistic the solution for the Captain is to send a request for the crew to report any and all medical conditions relevant or not to their ability to crew. Anything gets omitted and you get kicked off at the next port for lying on your application and while you are at it you must post a bond equal to 3 times the cost of last minute ticket home and the Captain gets to keep any unused money.

Of course since this is non-paid position, most people are going to laugh at you before they tell you about childhood illness.

Of course, this was such a central part of the OP's life that he admits to getting PhD in the subject. It's not an old scar from childhood chickenpox.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 04:14   #133
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Looking at it from a safety standpoint, I think he did Fred a huge favor. Anyone who owns a boat and can't scrape up more than $260 is probably chronically broke and has probably deferred important maintenance tasks due to lack of funds, or expects the crewmembers to pay for repairs or unexpected costs.

Things break all of the time, if the skipper can't afford to keep up with repairs or maintenance, that should be a deal breaker. People mention the skipper's responsibility to keep the crew safe, and properly maintaining the vessel is the foundation of keeping everyone safe.
My understanding is he's a freelance delivery skipper... we are usually chronically broke and the boats we sail are often poorly maintained.. that's why we get the jobs..
Also why we need 100% fit trustworthy crew..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 04:52   #134
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Why dya think folk say it takes at least 3 days to settle at sea before it gets enjoyable..
That's when the Detox has kicked in...
What happens ashore stays ashore...
That sir... Is why careful crew selection is mandatory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Hahah ^^^

We haven't used Skype before but wouldn't be adverse to it either. A friend of mine likes to interview potential crew using Skype. His words when describing his interviewing technique ' I ask the girls to stand up and turn around, so we are both clear on what is expected...'
Of course wearing clothing appropriate for the expected conditions ...

Quote:
I am sooooooo grateful I don't get seasick.
NO KIDDING!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
You might like to add 'are you a compulsive whistler?' to the list of questions..
OMG YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
HA!!!!!!!
Plus the one far to starboard looks like a potential attitude problem...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 08:30   #135

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
I thought I was very clear - the fact that any person still has their wisdom teeth is considered a medical issue by the Navy for sub duty.

So if you sat down with a recruiter and he asked you if you had ANY medical issues (and you still had your wisdom teeth) you would obviously answer, "No." There is no way for you to know that wisdom teeth are an "issue" unless you were specifically told it was.

Perhaps the same thing happened to Fred. What none of us would consider to be a medical issue, was to the Captain, but nobody would have known that until the Capt. said something - preferably before the crewmember flew out.

It doesn't really matter, we're all just speculating since we don't know what made the capt. change his mind.

...and I thought I was clear..."And whats with the Navy BS?... does that "win" you an argument"?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, skipper