Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2011, 12:51   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: The Coast Guard doesn’t beat around the bush when explaining their new restrictio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
The relationship between poverty and obesity is a modern one and seems to be because processed foods are cheap and filling without providing the nutrition need for health, instead they provide fat, sugar, sodium and carbohydrates.
Ain't no food ever been improved by going through a factory.........I rather suspect that in 20 or 30 years time it will be "discovered" that certain additives were insane to put into food whilst being processed - and that a lot were included partly to be addictive (being "natural" doesn't mean good)..........IMO the food processing industry is much like the tobacco industry was in the good old days.

Time will tell on that one...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 13:09   #32

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: The Coast Guard doesn’t beat around the bush when explaining their new restrictio

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Ain't no food ever been improved by going through a factory.........I rather suspect that in 20 or 30 years time it will be "discovered" that certain additives were insane to put into food whilst being processed - and that a lot were included partly to be addictive (being "natural" doesn't mean good)..........IMO the food processing industry is much like the tobacco industry was in the good old days.

Time will tell on that one...........

I recently quit eating all grains, especially wheat. As a result my blood work has improved remarkably, triglycerides decreased by 80%, fasting glucose dropped from 110 to 76, appetite is lessened, I lost weight without even trying!

A book called "Wheat Belly" led me to make these changes.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 13:34   #33

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Mississippi was the state with the highest obesity rate in 2002 and is also the state with the most people living in poverty. The top three rankings for obesity were Mississippi, West Virginia and Alabama. Each has large numbers of people living in poverty.

The relationship between poverty and obesity is a modern one and seems to be because processed foods are cheap and filling without providing the nutrition need for health, instead they provide fat, sugar, sodium and carbohydrates.

There is some evidence that the rate of increase in obesity in the US is slowing, perhaps because it has reached levels such that information is getting out to people. Of course it isn't just poor people suffering from it but they do drive the numbers.
I'll bet there is a race factor in there somewhere. I think a lot of it has to do with nothing to do and stress. I'm surprised those stats are in southern states. Every winter I gain 10-15 lb. all because I'm less active. But never been too heavy for a horse.

Old 22-12-2011, 14:29   #34
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I had to look this up, I remembered it from a book of shipwrecks of the Great Lakes. Here is a case of a cruise ship capsizing at the dock.

Describe the worst shipwreck in the history of the Great Lakes.
In terms of loss of life, hands down, that’s called the SS Eastland, which went down in the Chicago River on July 24, 1915. For whatever reason, the ship turned over onto its port side right there in the river. Passengers either wanted to see something in the river and they went to port side, or the engineer improperly ballasted the ship, or it wasn’t a stable ship to begin, but she flipped over right into the Chicago River, not terribly deep water maybe 20-30 feet, and killed 844 passengers and crew. It still remains the worst loss of life on any single shipwreck in the Great Lakes.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 14:40   #35

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

When I worked for an airline with small planes, we had scales at the gates and asked everyone their weight prior to boarding. If we didn't believe the answer they had to step on the scale. Seats were assigned based on weight. The guys didn't care much, but we had to put up with a lot of irate women . . . some refused and had to find alternate transportation. In this case I think the Coast Guard did the right thing. Scales at the dock would be a major pain.
Old 22-12-2011, 15:37   #36

My 16' Lund has a US coast Guard 5 person maximum, right next to it is a Canadian one with 4 person maximum. Go figure, I thought Canadians were lighter....
BTW 4 persons seem right to me.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 15:50   #37

"Bert and I winched that New Jersey lady aboard and set her in the middle of the boat so's we wouldn't be goin' in circles all day...."
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 19:10   #38

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I guess I wiil get that bumper sticker for my dinghy..."No Fat Chicks"!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 19:36   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJ View Post
My 16' Lund has a US coast Guard 5 person maximum, right next to it is a Canadian one with 4 person maximum. Go figure, I thought Canadians were lighter....
BTW 4 persons seem right to me.
Maybe we're more cautious. I heard a meteorologist today saying that it seems Canadians are less likely to be killed in bad weather then folks in warmer climes despite getting more then our fair share of the bad stuff. This fellow speculated it was because we get so much weather of the life threatening type that we are cautious about weather events. Of course the guy was a weatherman just giving his opinion still, having been outside in 50 below weather I can tell you it creates a sense of imminent death.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 19:38   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Hummingway, All so unfortuatly true. However I am proof also that Prime steaks, butter laden sauces, potatoes, and bacon wrapped whatevers can do this also.

It is also a statistic that a lot more of the great unwashed are now involved in Boating than ever before. We tend to skew things up.
We definitely have a genetic predilection for fat, salt and sugar. We need to chase that cow down, milk her, churn the butter, slaughter and dress her then dance around the fire howling at the moon after dinner to justify it!

Old 22-12-2011, 19:40   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I'll bet there is a race factor in there somewhere. I think a lot of it has to do with nothing to do and stress. I'm surprised those stats are in southern states. Every winter I gain 10-15 lb. all because I'm less active. But never been too heavy for a horse.

I do the same thing. It always amazes me when I lose it again in the summer.

Old 22-12-2011, 19:46   #42

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The local whale watching boat was doing its stability tests yesterday--lots of barrels of water on one side--didn't look too expensive.

Lost a high school chum off Coos Bay last week--his crabber was loaded with pots and got sideways to a wave--stability is important.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 19:57   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The local whale watching boat was doing its stability tests yesterday--lots of barrels of water on one side--didn't look too expensive.

Lost a high school chum off Coos Bay last week--his crabber was loaded with pots and got sideways to a wave--stability is important.
Sorry to hear that Don. A problem fishermen do face is knowing when the hold has reached the point where you say time to head for port and unload.

Old 22-12-2011, 20:37   #44

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I figured you guys would remember the latest Pirates of the Caribean movie where they turtled the square rigger by running from one side to the other
Old 22-12-2011, 20:41   #45

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I would imagine that some people would rather stay ashore than stand on a scale.
I wouldn't mind, but I'd rather not fly than have some TSA perv mess with my junk.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote