Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2020, 15:20   #31

Re: Shaun & Julia Sailing... What happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBill View Post
I think it's an outright crime. Fraudulent as hell, to say the least. definitely disheartening. in a few ways. Let the buyer beware? If anything happened to Patreon, probably more than half the sailing channels would end and so would the extended vacations that people are videotaping. It's a business for quite a few folks and with any business(s) we see fraud, evasion, politics, bad bookkeeping etc. etc. Too bad.. I sure was fooled. I would love to be a fly on the wall, when these things get planned. sort of a Catch Me if you Can.
Are you trying to tell me that being an internet panhandler isn't a sustainable life choice?
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 15:38   #32

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Are you trying to tell me that being an internet panhandler isn't a sustainable life choice?

Wow, lots of strong opinions. The way I see it, watching YouTube channels is no different than watching Netflix. Is entertainment you pay for in monthly fee or by watching commercials. No need to get upset that some people are done and want out. Heck some people got it worse as they died of Covid ( Patrick Childress)
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 15:39   #33

Interesting, in Julias portfolio, in BRANDING - samples is the Shaun and Julia sailing logo..., Looks like shaun is running a real estate business . I'll leave this alone, maybe that's as far as I need to know....
MaineBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 15:42   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
Wow, lots of strong opinions. The way I see it, watching YouTube channels is no different than watching Netflix. Is entertainment you pay for in monthly fee or by watching commercials. No need to get upset that some people are done and want out. Heck some people got it worse as they died of Covid ( Patrick Childress)
I'm not the least bit upset, I have no idea who those people are or were.

Just saying that begging for money on patron (or whatever it's called) is akin to panhandling.

If you want to put content on youtube, knock yourself out. If I do choose to watch something, I'm forced to watch ads... that's more than enough payment in my opinion.
Old 28-08-2020, 16:08   #35

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

It's far more similar to a street performer. If you enjoy the show they are putting on and feel like donating, you can. Nobody is forcing you to give them money, and certainly nobody is forcing you to watch their content. There seems to be a misconception that the content you watch just poofs into existence. By all accounts, it takes a lot of time and effort to make the high quality videos that the popular channels are putting out. How is that really different than television? Because there's not a large corporate studio taking most of the profit? Everything involved in this is voluntary.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 16:15   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
It's far more similar to a street performer. If you enjoy the show they are putting on and feel like donating, you can. Nobody is forcing you to give them money, and certainly nobody is forcing you to watch their content. There seems to be a misconception that the content you watch just poofs into existence. By all accounts, it takes a lot of time and effort to make the high quality videos that the popular channels are putting out. How is that really different than television? Because there's not a large corporate studio taking most of the profit? Everything involved in this is voluntary.
As much as television studios would love to, they don't make you watch ads AND ask you to pay a subscription.

Also, a busker doesn't make you watch ads either. Just puts the hat out.

I agree that everything is voluntary but, in my feeble mind, it's still the same thing as a panhandler on the side of the road. Knock yourself out but don't get upset when the rules change right from under you.
Old 28-08-2020, 17:01   #37

Boat: Volkscruiser

I think it happens a fair bit with the whole dream not meeting reality. There was a Queensland family that we started following online. We even met them and the wife said straight away they are not going to make it. Sure enough a few months later it was all over and the yacht was on the market. They at least had the decency to post why they were quitting.
I to find it annoying when someone you have been following drops out of sight. A bit like finding the last few pages of a book missing. It's a pity sailors are not super famous so we could have a sailing version of People magazine. Then you could get the juicy gossip. Just imagine a reporter right in your face while you and the wife are doing a difficult docking!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 17:37   #38

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Seriously... you guys are a bunch of curmudgeons. We should root for young couples to start up their own small business... thats the whole purpose of YOUtube. Don't like it - don't watch.

I happen to like their channel - they didn't get as far as they wanted because they are having a kid? Great! Congrats on the kid and recognizing you needed to change to take care of family. No fault in that.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 03:33   #39

Yes, a lot of opinions here. I for one, feel better to know they are alive and well no matter what they are doing. I guess how anyone feels is how or why they were viewing the whole show to start with and what they were expecting. There are so many variables involved and approaches to the subject that we all could just have and ongoing discussion about our personal approach and feelings forever I guess. Good luck to the Bockmaster family Julia and Shaun, I learned a few lessons here in this round. My eyes might be a bit more open as I take on new series and continue others. I'd love to have the luck some have had along the way. My book would reveal a few things I'd guess, Snake Oil, Elixers, and Sailing what I learned along the way...Now, how do I start a channel and get others to fund the whole damn thing....HHHhhhhmmmm.....
MaineBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 10:49   #40

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Ya don’t say...
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 14:04   #41
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Someone told me there was a bunch of discussion in the Facebook community for YouTube sailing channel creators about why Shaun & Julia packed it in, and the way they just disappeared, but I was not able to find it.

My internet sluething isn't all that great eithernit seems. I would like to know more. Shaun went so far as to put an anchor tattoo on his forearm to show what a hard-ass sailor he was after crossing an ocean as crew, then he packs it in the first time they take their own boat more than a couple hundred miles from land?

All we as watchers really want is a little bit of closure here. I can understand taking the videos down when the boat was up for sale (although not really agreeing with that, as it seems shady) but now that the boat seems to be sold why not just tell everyone what happened? It's a little bit twisted to let everyone who was watching swing at the edge of the cliff.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 02:53   #42

Their boat is for sale in Florida. It’s been there since we arrived nearly a year ago. 🙁
SVJANET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 06:16   #43
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVJANET View Post
Their boat is for sale in Florida. It’s been there since we arrived nearly a year ago. 🙁

Interesting as the broker's listing was removed months ago. I had assumed it had sold or they changed their minds on selling. Perhaps the new owners have not yet come to pick it up or the deal fell through. I haven't checked online in a while to see if it was relisted again.
Old 26-09-2020, 06:20   #44

Things change. Perhaps they’ve started a family. I wish them well. We enjoyed watching them make their way down, as we were newbies starting in Lake Huron and taking nearly the same route.
SVJANET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 06:21   #45
Senior Cruiser

Nemea has been re-listed. The broker seems to have done a much better job this time, having put a lot more details in.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...an-37-3712020/

Tags
sail, sailing