Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 07:47   #31

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Shark Stories?

On a return trip from the far northwest, about 50 miles offshore, i was down below taking a nap, wife at the wheel, when she started yelling "SHARK"..... I didn't move to fast as we've seen many times a fin above water in passing.
Got up to the cockpit and Ramona was pointing off the back of the boat at three sharks, about 10 feet in length , about 20to30 feet off the back of our boat... They followed us for an hour or so.
A day or so later we pulled into Fort Bragg on the north coast of California and while setting at a local restruant telling the story to a local fisherman... He said it was very common for the sharks to follow the passing boats as when the fishing boats are out, scraps from cleaning the fish were thrown off the back of their boats.
So it seems they've become acustom to feeding of the scraps and were just looking for a hand out from us.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:02   #32

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Shark Stories?

I signed a non-disclosure agreement as to the possible location of a gold-laden wreck off the NC coast several years back. We had a gold sample supposedly found near the site in the assumed debris trail. It was pretty authentic in appearance; enough so that quite a few divers were interested in diving and searching on a contigency basis, like real sharks personal injury lawyers.

I was working in a dive shop when they came in for beers and air fills after being "chased out of the water" (<20') by a "~15 ft real tiger shark." (As in, not our friendly sand tigers.) These were rough tough type divers with earrings, tatoos, and do-rags all. The tiger was guarding the wreck, they said. Un huh.

I can't say more, if ya git my drift.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40   #33
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I signed a non-disclosure agreement as to the possible location of a gold-laden wreck off the NC coast several years back. We had a gold sample supposedly found near the site in the assumed debris trail. It was pretty authentic in appearance; enough so that quite a few divers were interested in diving and searching on a contigency basis, like real sharks personal injury lawyers.

I was working in a dive shop when they came in for beers and air fills after being "chased out of the water" (<20') by a "~15 ft real tiger shark." (As in, not our friendly sand tigers.) These were rough tough type divers with earrings, tatoos, and do-rags all. The tiger was guarding the wreck, they said. Un huh.

I can't say more, if ya git my drift.
I understand, when I was a boy we often swam over a wreck near Jupiter Beach where I grew up, everyone knew about it in those days, every winter a few gold coins were found on the beach after a storm, I myself pulled lots of pewter dinner ware and some nice jugs off –one of my friends found a very nice 1 0z gold coin- Mel Fisher & Crew came years after I left and hauled off one of the biggest finds in history and Id been 10 feet from the gold dozens of time not seeing any- about 45 years ago- thats the real thing by the way close to a $
million in gold im holding and wearing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elfisher.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	56173  
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:04   #34

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
You saw a great white in Tampa Bay?
I know, right? I understand now that its actually not that rare of an occurrence.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:40   #35

Boat: Skookum 53'

Years ago there used to be a club called "Tampa Bay Sharkers" I don't know if they are still around, but they pursued sharks with great exuberance.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:49   #36

Boat: Little Harbor 46

I worked with a guy who loved diving with sharks, he would go in off the East end of Cayman, deep with special "air" mix to get in among shoals of them. He took a trip to South Africa to swim with great whites and was sad they wouldnt let him swim out of the cage. One morning I got a call from his wife to tell me he had died in the night, of a heart attack aged 32! Next call was from his girlfriend to ask if it was true, he clearly liked living dangerously!
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:00   #37

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Was spearing and had a 7' grey reef shark come after my fish, he got around me like I was wearing him, was crazy I was twisting and turning he never tried to actualy bite me was just going for my snapper. I ended up bumping on the head with the gun (didnt hurt him) but scared him away. And no he never got my fish, I am not one to start feeding Sharks, its like feeding gators, they associate humans w food. I was also followed all the way to our boat from the bottom while shooting on the eagle in 110' by an at least 14+ Tiger shark. That gave me religion,,,And no I didnt drop my fish then, but I was sure ready to.
Sharks are everywhere, we have dove and shot with Bulls, Tigers, huge ammerheads, etc around, Respect them, understand their behavior and its no biggie I dont consider what the grey reef did to me as aggressive, though many would have and tried to kill it,
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote