Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2023, 08:57   #61

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Selling my boat

The wear and tear on the rigging depends upon a lot of things. How good the quality of materials used when installed, the quality of the work, how the boat was used (day sailing or racing/offshore), freshwater vs salt water, and the inspection results.

Having a "10 year replacement requirement" is kind of absurd, if you consider how many suspension bridges there are around the world that don't have this same cable replacement requirement....

Additionally, there are factors like "design / ignored maintenance issues".

My Catalina 30 had the chain-plate fail due to crevice corrosion hidden below the deck. (known issue with this boat)

A friend with a high-end Hinkley had the same occur on the beginning of his trek across the Atlantic (who would of thought it..??)

Island Packets are considered offshore boats, but if buying an older one, you would probably want to spend the $10K++ before heading offshore to replace the chain-plates which were known to have similar failures..

If your sales price is adjusted to take into account the rigging age, just say so upfront. You can offer a partial discount to make the sale or walk away. Probably if you do discount the rigging replacement cost, the buyer will in most cases just pocket the cash and never replace the rigging anyway.

My two cents.

Cheers.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2023, 16:12   #62

Boat: Freedom 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
The wear and tear on the rigging depends upon a lot of things. How good the quality of materials used when installed, the quality of the work, how the boat was used (day sailing or racing/offshore), freshwater vs salt water, and the inspection results.

Having a "10 year replacement requirement" is kind of absurd, if you consider how many suspension bridges there are around the world that don't have this same cable replacement requirement....

Additionally, there are factors like "design / ignored maintenance issues".

My Catalina 30 had the chain-plate fail due to crevice corrosion hidden below the deck. (known issue with this boat)

A friend with a high-end Hinkley had the same occur on the beginning of his trek across the Atlantic (who would of thought it..??)

Island Packets are considered offshore boats, but if buying an older one, you would probably want to spend the $10K++ before heading offshore to replace the chain-plates which were known to have similar failures..

If your sales price is adjusted to take into account the rigging age, just say so upfront. You can offer a partial discount to make the sale or walk away. Probably if you do discount the rigging replacement cost, the buyer will in most cases just pocket the cash and never replace the rigging anyway.

My two cents.

Cheers.
Probably have someone with expertise inspect the rig thoroughly every ten years would be a better rule of thumb. If I had any standing rigging that is what I would be considering. I don't know what this would cost, but maybe even every five years and, perhaps, as a precursor to placing the boat on the market?
wmcunninghamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2023, 21:38   #63

Boat: Gulfstar 41, Center Cockpit Ketch

As a former chandler who has worked with a lot of riggers, but is not one, I have an observation. The 10 year life is an arbitrary and dangerous regulation. If rigged with 304 wire made in a place that does not value the quality reputation of its products, and is in an area of low precipitation, I would not trust the wire for 10 years. On the other hand, if it is US made 316 grade and spends its life in the rainy Pacific Northwest, it would commonly last close to as long as anything on the boat, longer than the engine by far. 316 wire frequently washed with fresh rain water lasts very long, foreign made 304 in an arid climate will not last long at all.
Everything else falls somewhere in between. Survey the rigging thoroughly for safety, including a close examination of the chain plates and fastenings. If there are reusable terminals, take apart any showing color. My boats rigging is professionally surveyed and updated annually.
captchetco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 04:17   #64

Boat: Hunter 340

SqPg; I don't know where that "10 year" standing rigging changeout came from, but it is a common thread. More commonly associated with a salt water environment than fresh water.
I do know that my insurance company requires a new survey every 5 years and I have complied with that.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat