Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2011, 06:29   #1

Sailing with Asthma

My wife has asthma and I tried to run the search on the forum but couldn't find alot of information, just wondering how you get the prescription when you out sailing for a couple of years, my wifes doctor is fairly sparse on the medication. Are there any of you sailing with asthma and how do you manage whilst sailing. This is a big big worry for my wife so with the right information I could hopefully reassure her, you know the saying"happy wife happy life"...thanks...chris
The Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 06:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: sailing with asthma

Are you refering to the 'Puffers'... or other medication..?
You'd be surprised the amount one can buy 'over the counter' once you hit the 3rd World.. if you can pay.
Thats not to say its expensive... for us..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 09:24   #3

Re: sailing with asthma

Yes boatman just the puffers, that's the only thing she's worried about. Thanks
The Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 09:28   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It might be worth making friends with someone in the profession...! Or switching doctors if your wife's is not understanding. I would be very surprised if any responsible GP refused to prescribe emergency drugs for offshore cruising, especially if she is at an increased risk of life threatening attacks.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 09:40   #5

Boat: Boatless

I too have asthma and I have been able to get my US prescriptions filled almost everywhere in the Caribbean. Usually by just presenting the bottle or inhaler and they are usually significantly cheaper, I paid about half the US price for Advair in Mexico and this was the real stuff and not a generic.

Since my asthma usually follows infections I carry antibiotic and start them immediately I feel I am getting infected.

You need a doctor who will give you several prescriptions to use

You need to carry a few spares but I think the most important thing is repatriation medical insurance so that if a very severe attack occurs your wife can be flown back to a first world hospital.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...dan-48881.html

Good Luck

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 19:05   #6

Boat: departure 35
Re: Sailing with Asthma

Thankfully my wife has never needed her inhaler on the boat. This red tide we have right now is messing with her a bit but not bad. She gets her other medication for something else delivered by UPS. Insurance pays for it and everything. It's injections she has to take every other day. They have shipped it wherever we were in the past overnight.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 19:43   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in mexico you can get them --ALL OF THEM, even the steroids, over the counter sans script. how do i know?? i sail with asthma.

you can NOT buy sudafed in mexico under any circumstances.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 19:57   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

My father had asthma, and that's why he was a Merchant Marine for 30 years.
I have bad allergies and when I'm out on the water it goes away. Sailing is a heathy life style if one can be smart about it. IAW make good judgements.

If she hasn't already, have her try an off shore cruise for a couple days and I'll bet she will not need the inhaler. Save the meds for land use.
Old 01-12-2011, 13:20   #9

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Yes, I find my asthma is much better - or my health better/my asthma less at sea. However if mould is one of the triggers, this can be an issue in a boat. In Australia and NZ buy ventolin over the counter for approx AU$16 (which is currently approx US$15.50). If you go to any GP they give you a script to get it half that price, but if you not Australian citizen, then you will pay the GP at least $50.......so
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 13:26   #10

I've had asthma my whole life and I'm on (and under) the water a lot. Never have a problem exercising or being on the boat, it's always cats that do me in.

No one cares about inhalers in any country I've been in (as far as checking on your medications go). It seems like everyone knows someone with asthma and there's no real alternative usage of them for recreation so they're left alone. I use Primatene Mist over what my doctor would prescribe me; it works great for the once every week or two that I need it.

Edit: I found it online for ~$25. Not recommending medicine for anyone, but this is what I've used since I was a kid. It works for me and it's easier than going to my doctor and trying whatever the "new" inhaler medicine is of which there always seems to be one. It's only a rescue-inhaler; not at all preventive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001KYO54W
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 14:57   #11

Boat: contessa 32

Find out what your triggers are ,things like pollen,dust etc. are greatly reduced at sea.If it's mold/mildew as in my case you must make war on it with a program that includes: constant ventilation below ,open lockers when off the boat ,constant attention to leaks ,dry bilges,non porous fabrics below,and special attention to the prevention of the accumulation of salt below and in the cockpit where bathing suits,foul weather gear, etc.. will drag it and its hygroscopic properties into the living areas where the moisture will cause a huge increase in the spores.
I've been hospitalized from asthma but have been able to keep my boat mildew free without cramping a sailing lifestyle.You can pm me if your trigger is mildew for a more extensive dissertation
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing