Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2024, 14:06   #391

Re: Retirement - Managing your money

Just Sayin, be careful, the US has already banned the private ownership of gold in the past (but folks could easily hide it until the law changed) I don’t know for sure..... but I suspect..... it would be easier to ban bitcoin by some electronic intervention. I admire your enthusiasm but maybe spread out a bit.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 14:14   #392

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Fire View Post
Bitcoin is not owned or controlled by anyone. You will never need to seek permission by anyone to spend or receive it. Bitcoin doesn't care about a credit score.
This part is false. Governments can, and I suspect will, implement all sorts of controls. Now, those controls may be circumvented my moving to different jurisdictions. We will see. But just because the technology doesn't implement controls doesn't mean other mechanisms don't exist.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 14:15   #393

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Thats a shaky position to be in Star fire, not because I’m a crypto hater, ( I’m not, I have 3 bitcoin) but because of , A. the fragility of your position with all your savings in the one financial basket, B. Total reliance on an increasingly unreliable and corrupted internet, C. The increasing ability of machine learning to break codes and passwords more easily , D. The introduction of a futures market that specifically disallows settlement in ACTUAL bitcoin. If bitcoin can be traded without physical ownership or possession, the price can be manipulated. I suspect that in the near future, the moves toward a Central Bank Digital Currency will be successful and that process could very likely mean the engineered destruction of other crypto currencies if its deemed that theres only room for the CBDC’s....
I'm not sure AI has anything to do with "breaking codes". Assuming its well implemented that is strictly math. Absent some new way of factoring primes or something its simply how many sums can you do in x seconds. Now, quantum computing might have an impact.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 16:05   #394

Boat: Moody 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
This part is false. Governments can, and I suspect will, implement all sorts of controls. Now, those controls may be circumvented my moving to different jurisdictions. We will see. But just because the technology doesn't implement controls doesn't mean other mechanisms don't exist.
They don’t exist. Don’t trust me, verify it for yourself. Study Bitcoin.
Star Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 16:08   #395

Boat: Moody 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I'm not sure AI has anything to do with "breaking codes". Assuming its well implemented that is strictly math. Absent some new way of factoring primes or something its simply how many sums can you do in x seconds. Now, quantum computing might have an impact.
1) To “hack” bitcoin would undermine the value of what you just stole.
2) to think quantum computer# wouldn’t just mine bitcoin, honestly, I’d kind of crazy
3) cryptographic algos will be developed for quantum computers and we’ll move away from sha-256.

No one thinks about how to break bitcoin more than bitcoiners…
Star Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 09:17   #396
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
They are very slightly higher than ours right now, but ours was WAAAAY higher during the last couple of years. Ours peaked at nearly 8% and has (thankfully) come down recently.
It looks like the US peaked at about 8.7% and Germany also peaked at about 8.7%

I used the charting tool at the site below, so I was estimating the numbers from reading the chart.

https://tradingeconomics.com/country...inflation-rate
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, money, retirement