Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2024, 10:33   #1

resource for finding reception at a marina

Hi All
Relatively new sailor here.
I've been trying to find a resource for locating the reception at marinas. When planning a route/passage and arriving at a marina it would be nice to know where the reception is in advance before arrival. Is there any app/resource that gives this information. I've looked on Savvy Navvy and Navionics boating app which shows the marina layouts but cant seem to find the reception / reception pontoon from the maps, they don't seem to be labelled Some are shown on the Navily app though but not all.

I know you can tel or radio for this info but it would be nice to know where to go whilst in the planning phase.

Thanks
CRJ007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 10:56   #2

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: resource for finding reception at a marina

A free app that contains this info for a lot of marinas is Noforeignland. Try it and see if it helps you.

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 16:42   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ007 View Post
Hi All
Relatively new sailor here.
I've been trying to find a resource for locating the reception at marinas. When planning a route/passage and arriving at a marina it would be nice to know where the reception is in advance before arrival. Is there any app/resource that gives this information. I've looked on Savvy Navvy and Navionics boating app which shows the marina layouts but cant seem to find the reception / reception pontoon from the maps, they don't seem to be labelled Some are shown on the Navily app though but not all.

I know you can tel or radio for this info but it would be nice to know where to go whilst in the planning phase.

Thanks
Just contact them (phone and/or email) and ask! Check their marina map. How is this not part of planning?

Online information is fine, until it’s not. A marina may not have a reception (AKA VIP or Members) berth at all, or they may be super busy and it’s not available. You contact the marina and find out where they want you to berth on arrival - it could be just any available berth. Or they’ll want you to anchor off.

How to find out? Contact them.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 20:51   #4

I am totally confused (not that that is always new...) what exactly are we talking about here? "Reception" I thought the OP was concerned about WiFi or Cell service. Now it seems to be some special slip???

When I approach a marina to take a transient slip I radio or phone to ask where they want me to tie up. It could be anywhere, there is never a special "reception" slip. They tell me where to go, I go there. I walk to the office and complete the paperwork.

Of course other people have been know to tell me where to go...
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 09:48   #5

Thanks peoples. Feedback much appreciated. All the fairly local marinas where I’m based do have reception pontoons. However thanks and all feedback taken on board.

Much appreciated
Old 29-01-2024, 04:24   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Thanks peoples. Feedback much appreciated. All the fairly local marinas where I’m based do have reception pontoons. However thanks and all feedback taken on board.

Much appreciated
So you have to dock in a "reception" slip, then leave that and move to your assigned slip?

What part of the world are you in?

-Chris
Old 29-01-2024, 05:10   #7

Hi Chris
Yes, that’s correct. You have to arrive at the reception pontoon then take necessary papers to the office who allocate the slip.

Based in the Algarve Portugal.

Thanks
Old 29-01-2024, 05:31   #8

Quote:
Hi Chris
Yes, that’s correct. You have to arrive at the reception pontoon then take necessary papers to the office who allocate the slip.

Based in the Algarve Portugal.

Thanks

Pretty common around europe. Fairly often no point emailing or phoning either as there will be no reply.
As mentioned above https://www.noforeignland.com/ imho is fast becoming a must have ( & navily) On the app/website if any boats are displayed in a marina you can message & ask how things are there & then, can be very useful.

Never found any source which will be as up to date as online crowd sourced data either, just check the date of the review. Certainly in busier locations changes will be reported in the reviews straight away, like near you when Sines marina went bust & wasn't taking any bookings a little while ago which was reported within a day on NFL.

Google street view very often will have 360 images when can be useful to get a feel for a place before turning up.

Lagos again >

Also navionics is available online which sometimes can be worth a look >
https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 05:40   #9

Boat: Lagoon 380

Never heard of this way of coming into a marina. We just radio on 16, get told to switch to what ever channel the marina uses, they then tell us where to go. After we are tied up we go to the office and check in. Unless we did the check in via Dockwa and then sometimes we don’t have to go to the office. I would hate to have to tie up to then have to move to tie up. That just seems silly.

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 05:44   #10

Cheers much appreciated. I agree that in my cruising area it would be very helpful to know in advance and yes, sometimes phone will not be answered. Only radio on arrival which is not ideal as it doesn’t give you much time to plan your entry. I like to know where I’m going before I get there and have an idea where the slip is or the reception. Especially when busy.
Old 29-01-2024, 05:57   #11

Popped into the Algarve for a moment to say hello many years ago.. & only just left, lovely place

And agree with finding out all you can, even then no guarantee, Portugal you'll never know anything completely for sure until it happens

Least it will be friendly though.
Old 29-01-2024, 06:06   #12

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
Never heard of this way of coming into a marina. We just radio on 16, get told to switch to what ever channel the marina uses, they then tell us where to go. After we are tied up we go to the office and check in. Unless we did the check in via Dockwa and then sometimes we don’t have to go to the office. I would hate to have to tie up to then have to move to tie up. That just seems silly.

Cheyne
That has been my experience as well. And docking twice would be a PITA.
Old 29-01-2024, 06:13   #13

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

It's a European thing. We'd always try to prearrange a slip if possible, but they'd typically not answer. So you'd then just come in and go to whatever looked like the marina office and dock (usually side tie), track someone down, then get assigned a slip.... typically after they acted all stressed out that you hadn't called to prearrange a slip

In Norway they didn't even have anyone working at the marina to talk to. You'd hope you could fit in the slip, or that anything would be available, and then pay at a self-serve kiosk. But they did have a pretty good app to handle most of it online.
Old 29-01-2024, 07:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That has been my experience as well. And docking twice would be a PITA.
Actually I ( hardly ever go into marinas but if & when) *MUCH* prefer a reception pontoon. Invariably big, long, empty & very easy to get onto with often a marinero around to take your lines.
Usually possible to go either side to so prop walk can work for you. Then gives you a chance to relax after a long passage & tidy the boat a bit, have a cup of coffee. Do the paperwork up at the office & have look at getting into wherever the slip you've been assigned is, might not be practical & gives you a chance to smile sweetly & ask if another option is available so you blow off the pontoon or whatever.
Old 29-01-2024, 11:34   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Nice. Now I know what is meant by a "reception" slip. I love learning new meanings for words I thought I already knew.

Now, one more: Pontoon. To me, that's a kind of boat, usually used on lakes or sheltered bays. I don't think that's what's being talked about here...
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reception