Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 14:16   #46

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS
Re: Predict our (sailing) Future

When I was in high school in the 70s it was global cooling and feared food shortages. Then it was global warming. ..now its climate change. In between all that...ozone layer...hair spray and freon..acid rain...comet and meteor strikes...nuclear doomsday...killer bees..silicon implants...AIDS and other viruses...
Do you think third world folks worry about this when they can hardly feed themselves let alone find fresh water?
Now... I will be the first to say I dont know where the truth is in all of this ....but I am not going to change my life unless forced upon me.
Heck...the day I can finally control what happens in my home is the day Ill start worrying about all the above.
If I had to think about every world potential calamity that we have come up with in the last 50 years...I would stay in my bunker trippled masked never to see daylight again drinking booze and taking Prozac.
I dont have many years left so I try to keep going down my path and if God calls me a little sooner than expected Ill be ready without fear.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 15:13   #47
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Prefer we focus on what the future cruising boat can do 50 years from now, instead of debating climate change.

So far we have:
New lightweight materials that have the maleability of steel to build bullet proof boats and suitable for easy home construction.

Improved hull designs with long recessed nacelles that can lever out to provide foiling lift for high speeds, stability at anchor or filled with water balast to sink beneath the storm waves.

The snorkle mast will have high speed sails that can be furled and controlled from a safe position in gale force conditions wih inteligent computerised captive winch handling in those condtons .

Solar capture will reach 40% efficiency, storage with similar improvement's and electric propulsion with high regeneration in displacement mode, providing complete autonomy from diesels including electric jet propulsion for improved multifunctional tenders .

Ok, what about other stuff that will give the future cruising family.an edge on being able to live off the grid?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 15:45   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Predict our (sailing) Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Prefer we focus on what the future cruising boat can do 50 years from now, instead of debating climate change.

So far we have:
New lightweight materials that have the maleability of steel to build bullet proof boats and suitable for easy home construction.

Improved hull designs with long recessed nacelles that can lever out to provide foiling lift for high speeds, stability at anchor or filled with water balast to sink beneath the storm waves.

The snorkle mast will have high speed sails that can be furled and controlled from a safe position in gale force conditions wih inteligent computerised captive winch handling in those condtons .

Solar capture will reach 40% efficiency, storage with similar improvement's and electric propulsion with high regeneration in displacement mode, providing complete autonomy from diesels including electric jet propulsion for improved multifunctional tenders .

Ok, what about other stuff that will give the future cruising family.an edge on being able to live off the grid?
Loadsa Money..???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays in hopes it triggers the 'Rapture'.. LMAO.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 16:57   #49

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Humans are at their base, are tribal, and will act in irrational ways when under stress, this is a given.

Cruising currently in the Bahamas, There were so few cruisers that we barely saw other boats crossing from Florida to Great sail cay, Green Turtle cay, Eleuthera, and on to Staniel cay. We arrived in the Bahamas this past December, there were so few cruisers that I imagined that this is what it was like back in the late 1960s, we saw only two other boats on our crossing route to and from Eleuthera to the Exumas and back again. Today there are nine boats in Rock Sound harbor. Two years ago there was thirty plus.

As of late more cruising boats have started showing up, we got stuck in George Town for weather, there were approximately 70 boats there, and somewhat less in Staniel cay, everywhere has been empty compared to the previous two years. As a note when we were in George Town last year there were around 350 boats there during the regatta festival.

If one is willing, cruising in the Bahamas even with the Covid restrictions in place has been easy and good, but tenuous when encountering folk who won’t wear masks in public areas, it’s mostly the criuisers and tourists from America that don’t follow the local laws and rules concerning this..., not that that would shock anyone...,

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 17:23   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
This can be Dark or Bright

How has Climate changes modfied our sailing Development?

How have a series of Pandemics taken their toll?

Has Artificial Inteligence made life* virtual?

Let your Nostradamian juices flow and give use some insight![emoji33]
Our sailing future will be cold and wet broken by beautiful sunsets and sunny skies
Old 28-02-2021, 17:25   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

So far we have:

A good portion of it is already available on the latest katana
Old 28-02-2021, 19:11   #52

Boat: Lagoon 37 TPI

Since we're going Cpt. Kirk here:

- Nano fibers which can change/hold the shape of a sail electronically. A NACA profile which can be electrically flattened and furled.

- Solar panels doped with waste nuclear (LSA) which generates power without the sun. Top and bottom no less and has a half life of 5000 yr.

- Nano super conducting powder mixed with gelcoat to repel water. Super anifouling plus very low drag.

- A microwave / anti microwave oven.

(Tractor Beam for docking?)
Eigenvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 19:15   #53
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenvector View Post
Since we're going Cpt. Kirk here:

- Nano fibers which can change/hold the shape of a sail electronically. A NACA profile which can be electrically flattened and furled.

- Solar panels doped with waste nuclear (LSA) which generates power without the sun. Top and bottom no less and has a half life of 5000 yr.

- Nano super conducting powder mixed with gelcoat to repel water. Super anifouling plus very low drag.

- A microwave / anti microwave oven.

(Tractor Beam for docking?)
Great, ... were starting to roll[emoji1303]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:49   #54

Quote:
That really says it all about what a good choice Brexit was.[emoji1303]
Less the impact it’s having on cruising in Europe for more than 90 days, being charged VAT to bring your boat home etc etc
Jbwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:43   #55

I am afraid the future is not so difficult to predict. Sure the boats will become bigger, more sofisticated and expensiv, as well as burocratic regulations, demands, insurance and fees. So to enjoy the freedom of the seas it's best to live on board without moving the boat to often anywhere.

Capt. Claus - ocean tramp of the eighties
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:03   #56

Boat: Jeanneau 469

I estimate that the Covid modifications will give rise to different strains and vaccines that will change over time, as occurs with the flu in each hemisphere from year to year.
What can facilitate the programming of short or circumnavigation cruises is to have in real time the limitations that each country imposes on entry by sea or the conditions to be met that facilitate staying anchored and stocking up.
Possibly they will walk to Sanitary Passports as the airlines are proposing with the countries, but in this area there are powerful economic interests, state subsidies and the search to open the offer to thousands of users.
How to achieve it for sailors?
Ekeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 14:14   #57

may be,that´s the future:forbes.com/sites/worldeconomicforum/2016/11/10/shopping-i-cant-really-remember-what-that-is-or-how-differently-well-live-in-2030
chavodelocho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing