Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 06:00   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Please Help Me Determine Value of Kompier Yacht

If you strip "the goodies" won't really affect the value - but would probably make her harder to sell. and won't be an easy sell anyway

No great or easy answer - it's simply a judgement.

I recall you are normally based on the other coast?) therefore (if no cash appears on the table soon) I would go the ebay route for what bits and pieces you can (may I be forgiven by the boat gods )..........and then auction her off ("as is where is"), on a buyer removes basis (deposit equalling removal costs)...........I doubt will get $20k though , lucky to get any offers.........but only you can assess the worth of getting that boat off your back.

Having said all that , I would not discount your "carrying paper" on the boat....depending on price agreed (see above comments) and whether he also buys the property I would consider a deak with the loan secured on both the boat and the property - probably have to settle on a 2nd charge (after the bank) on the property, but at some point may be some equity there. Not talking a 25 year deal - say, 2 or 3 - and maybe not even any interest......

The good news is that you will know where he lives , and that boat won't be sailing off into the sunset for a few years yet (maybe off on a trailer somewhere, but that's not an automatic loss).

Anyway, good luck with all that
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:55   #47

Hey all, been a very busy couple of days. Stuff coming and going. So, I am now a desperate boat owner and am taking last ditch efforts to move this yacht so that it can live. I so do not want to scrap it. However, if I don't have cash in hand by Tues. The salvage people will be here on Thurs. I listed on Craigslist (Ft. Meyer, Fl.) and am pretty much giving it away. 5000.00 + moving expenses. That's without it's nonessintials. Or, I will sell it for 16,000.00 with all it's embellishments. I have a local mover that will move the boat for $1,100.00. I wish I had more time to do this right. But, I don't. I have to go home on Friday and things need to be finished up. Having the estate sale this week-end. I have flyers all over the place. I am hoping someone with a love of boats shows up and gets the buy of their life time. Wish me luck.
P.S. Thanks for the advice, Tao. I did in fact list it as a possible combo deal on that craigslist ad.
Dee
deec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:38   #48
Armchair Bucketeer

Ouch

Just to say on that scrap / salvage thing, a good chance that keel is full of lead
Old 06-11-2011, 05:36   #49

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Screaming buy. That steel hull could take you through the ice around Greenland and bounce off reefs in the South Pacific. And the masts could be lowered to go through the canals of France. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 19:31   #50

Smiling, and hopeful, at least for tonight. I have a good prospective buyer coming tomorrow to have a look see. Got fingers (toes, eyes, legs) crossed. If it works out, I can let this one go without regret. Either way, I will be done by the end of this week and I will be heading home. Can anyone hear my ruby red slippers clinking. There is no place like home.
Good night
Old 07-11-2011, 20:04   #51

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Good luck! It would be a shame for the value of the boat to be based in part on the value of its materials (lead around 1$-ish per pound, etc.).
Old 07-11-2011, 20:32   #52

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

So sad to see your brothers dream being dumped on the scrapheap all for a few dollars.

Quote:
Screaming buy. That steel hull could take you through the ice around Greenland and bounce off reefs in the South Pacific. And the masts could be lowered to go through the canals of France. .
I dont even like monohulls much, but at the numbers being thrown around here, I would be all over that if it was close by.
Such a shame.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:15   #53
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
So sad to see your brothers dream being dumped on the scrapheap all for a few dollars.
Have you actually read this thread?

D#ckhead
Old 08-11-2011, 03:03   #54

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

D#ckhead

What's a dockhead?
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:26   #55

Quote:
Have you actually read this thread?

D#ckhead
Have you?
Try post 24
And thanks for the insults
Old 08-11-2011, 07:55   #56
Armchair Bucketeer

I am sure OP is capable of speaking for himself - although perhaps a bit too dignified to do so...........but that not a problem I suffer from .

Quote:
Have you?
Try post 24
Telling that it's one of your own posts........

Quote:
That was simply totally unneccessary to say - OP's Brother only been dead a week or so. D#ckhead the politest I could come up with. I have not seen any indication from OP that the motivation is money (indeed quite the reverse).......save for not wanting to incur ongoing cost and expenses (dead folk create a lot of practicalities to deal with).

Not sure how many lives you have sorted through into cardboard boxes(something that also comes with age, so am guessing a few). It's a sh#tty job, especially the stuff that has no financial value, is impractical to keep - but nonetheless you know held some of there dreams (future and those unfulfilled in the past. and never would be) and encapsulates an element of who they are.

A lot of other stuff is of course simply junk

To save you trying to read too much , OP lives on the West Coast (CA), his (late) Brother lived on the East coast (Florida). OP has to return home by 12th Nov, plus the property is being sold around then......he either takes the boat with him at horrendous cost (out of all proportion to both her current and any future value) or finds somewhere else to put her in Florida (afloat??! or ashore).......the problem with that being uncared for she will simply drop in value, plus the ongoing storage / mooring costs.........with (IMO) at least a 50/50 (80%? ) chance she will eventually go for scrap anyway...........and up to now no one waving any cash around.

It's a shame, but that's just how it is.......sometimes it is better to bite the bullet early.
Old 08-11-2011, 15:13   #57

Quote:
I have not seen any indication from OP that the motivation is money (indeed quite the reverse).......
You have not seen any indication that money is the motivator?
You just confirmed and wrote yourself that the motivation is money, at least a large part of it. See bits in bold.
Quote:
save for not wanting to incur ongoing cost and expenses <snip> plus the ongoing storage / mooring costs <SNIP> he either takes the boat with him at horrendous cost

Quote:
Not sure how many lives you have sorted through into cardboard boxes(something that also comes with age, so am guessing a few).
Yes, more than a few so I can understand the dilemma and pain the OP is in but, that doesn't change the fact that this beautiful looking boat will probably end up on the scrap heap because of cost/money.(+ time and inclination)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deec View Post
However, if I don't have cash in hand by Tues. The salvage people will be here on Thurs.
Quote:
It's a shame,
Yes, thats what I said, its a shame to see someone's dreams put on the scrap heap because of money (+ time and inclination)
Especially such a nice dream as this, seemingly with not much effort required to relaunch and worthy of so much more.
I dont know why you chose to make something more out of my comment than there was, especially when you have seem to have agreed with that comment yourself.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:06   #58

Good Morning all. Can you see my excitement? Maverick now has a new captain !!! Down to the wire, but, JW came, he saw, and he said yes. Didn't really sell as much as gave away. But, Maverick is in such a depleated state and there is so much work to do before Mav. can realize his beauty and glory again and JW seems like just the guy to do it. He plans to restore Mav. with his 12 yr. old son as a joint project. I really am thrilled with the out turn. And more than anything, Maverick lives on. Can't say how much that means to me. So, one more thing off my plate. Whew!
So, last day here. I am actually going to go out and enjoy a bit of Florida today. Have really had no down time in this month and could use to get my head out of it for a bit. So I am off in search of a sandy white beach and spectacular seafood. Tomorrow I head home and get to see my husband and my boys. Things are looking up some.
JW says that when Mav. is completed we will receive an invitation to sail with them. Wouldn't that be something? I think I will save a bit of my brothers ashes for that occassion. I think that would an amazing tribute to him to return him to the sea that he loved so much from the boat that he loved so much. Thank you JW. I wish you smooth sailing always.
And, here I go again......thank you all so much for your support with this whole thing. I said a prayer and you showed up. I will always hold a place of gratitude for all of you. Thank you.
O.K.- all you little crabs, hold on to your legs, here I come! Good day to you all.
Dee
Old 10-11-2011, 05:12   #59

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Fantastic news! When Maverick is all done -- can we all go out sailing with you and JW????

It was good to get to know you here, Dee. Good luck and godspeed to you.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:09   #60

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Really GREAT news Dee.....well done!
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht