Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 08:18   #61
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Please Help Me Determine Value of Kompier Yacht

Nice one Dee... good to hear she's 'saved'....
'Bon Appitito... and a safe journey home....'

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 16:29   #62

Boat: Transpac 49
Good news Dee! Am so happy that you have been able to get this sorted, it must be a big burden off your mind. Hey, don't forget to tell JW all about us folks here, I think many here (self included) would like to see how she progresses in her journey started by your brother. Great idea about your brothers ashes, I am sure that he would appreciate greatly your gesture. All the best in Florida, and enjoy being reunited with your family.
Old 10-11-2011, 20:34   #63

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Please Help Me Determine Value of Kompier Yacht

Great news
It would have been tragic to see that vessel cut up, lets hope the new owner brings her back up to her original state.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:48   #64

Boat: Kompier 42, Ericson 32

Hi All.... very cool thread! The power of the internet is endless. I will write you much more later but I wanted to say 'hi' for now. I am that elusive - hard to find - maybe out there - person who 'might be interested in an old rusty steel boat - I am the NEW owner of the Kompier... JW!

Wow... what an adventure. I happened to find the listing on Craigslist and was in Fla, (from Vermont) within 24 hours. Great boat with much promise. As I said I will send more details to you all later when I have some time... right now I am working on logistics to get her all the way up here. We had a full couple of days sorting out the goods... bringing all of the valuables to storage and stuffing the rest of the rotten junk back in the boat for the trip North.

Dee and her sister were Soooo much fun to work with and they both put in lots of hard work to help us sort things out. Trying to sort out the agreement went on to within the last 40 minutes of me having to make a decision (for my sanity). There was another party interested as well so it was very intense. In the end I ended up with the boat and plan to work on it for the next ten years and then go for a long voyage.... The vessel "Maverick" is a serious world cruiser and build in Holland. I agree with the surveyor who studied her many years ago... she is a very fine yacht. For now though I will be filling dumpsters full of stuff and one day we will turn around and start the rebuild... I will post photos later.

Short of time... for your viewing pleasure here is a link to my sons 1st boat - he is now 13 years old - at this time we are much further ahead in the restoration than the movie shows.

Dee - if you see this... nothing would please me more, and seem more appropriate, than committing your brother to the sea from his own restored yacht... Very important. I will co all I can to make this happen for you and your family.

More later... JW

ps the name UbailISail is a name my son and I have been using for years... might have to look into changing that with regards to Maverick!

Good Day!
UsailIbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:21   #65

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

UsailIbail, welcome to CF....it was great that you bought Maverick and we all look forward to hearing how you progress with the restoration. Ten years is a long time but it will be worth it in the end.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:30   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, UsailIbail - JW.

Congratulations on your new boat ("Maverick")!

Yes, the internet is a powerful tool, that facilitates people in the accomplishment of great things.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:31   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Please Help Me Determine Value of Kompier Yacht

Welcome to CF JW....
Glad to have you on board mate...
enjoy the restoration...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:41   #68
Armchair Bucketeer

I like a happy ending
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:56   #69

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

JW, you are the man! Congratulations on acquiring this diamond in the rough. If you don't keep a full-fledged blog, please just post here on this thread to tell us of your progress.

I hope it doesn't take ten years to get her in the water. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:37   #70

We'll occasionally be putting YouTube videos up on my account (ericsonvt)... I'll make sure to post them here as well!

ebben (jay's son)
Old 11-11-2011, 12:33   #71

Ebben -- welcome to Cruiser's Forum for you, too. You're a lucky guy, getting to undertake a project like this with your dad.
Old 05-12-2011, 16:06   #72

Boat: 33ft sloop

I may chime in. Kompier was a medium sized shipyard at Woerden, The Netherlands and had a very good standard of the construction of the famous Dutch "Cruisers" (motorkruisers). There are still many of them on the market and do make stiff prices.
This particular sailing yacht is the odd duck in the ditch. I never heard, or knew that the old P. Kompier designed any sailing yacht.

When I see the lines of this boat, I think it could be a Van de Stad Design. I can easily find out as I know VdS coy very well.
If you are in need of precise info, I might be able to check.
Just let me know.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 16:37   #73

Hi MacG,

Thank you very much for your post. We are learning more and more about the boat every day. It is now on its way up from Florida on the back of an overland transport truck... the driver said it has only 1 1/2" to 2" underneath the carriage so I spent the day leveling the crown out of our driveway. It will be a challenge bringing her the last 800 feet but I think we'll make it. It should be here in just a few more days.

The steel work is clearly the work of highly skilled metal smiths. As you will see in the photos it is an "s" type bilge which is very difficult to pull off. As far as I could tell at the initial visit it was done very nicely and to this day remains extraordinarily clean.

If anyone comes across any information on Kompier the original name of this yacht was "Williewel" I do not yet know what that means?, Hendrik Schreuder was the initial owner. The designer was H. Tingen. I would very much enjoy learning more of the boats history.

Enjoy the attached photos. They were taken at least 15 years ago but will give you an idea of what I am expecting to end up with in a handful of years. I have told Dee and her sister that this vessel has fallen from heaven, from her brother, after a tragic accident. I have been searching for this boat for 25 years.

We will write more later. Lots to do before the 70 ton crane and the boat, roll up the driveway in just a few days.

Jay

Sail on!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maverick1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	34445   Click image for larger version

Name:	maverick3.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	34446  

Old 05-12-2011, 16:39   #74

Another photo or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maverickdeck1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	34447   Click image for larger version

Name:	kompier.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	34448  

Old 05-12-2011, 16:54   #75

Wow, she's gorgeous!

Have you figured what the draft is yet? It looks fairly moderate (for such a large boat).

Fingers crossed for a successful overland voyage.

Tags
yacht