Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2011, 10:39   #16

Re: Please Help Me Determine Value of Kompier Yacht

Wow, seems like I found a gold mine chalk full of good advice and good people. I will take all of your advice into consideration. You all just have no idea how helpful you are and how far your replies have gone to making me feel more confident and not so alone. Again....thank you. I will be making calls today and see what I see. I will continue to check for new posts and I will update my progress.
Thank you all.
deec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 10:46   #17

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by deec View Post
Wow, seems like I found a gold mine chalk full of good advice and good people. I will take all of your advice into consideration. You all just have no idea how helpful you are and how far your replies have gone to making me feel more confident and not so alone. Again....thank you. I will be making calls today and see what I see. I will continue to check for new posts and I will update my progress.
Thank you all.
I am sorry for your loss.
You should be carefull how much time you spend on this forum, you may catch the bug and end up keeping the boat......
Old 29-10-2011, 10:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymc View Post
My $.02 worth...

Take the $20 Grand & get on with whatever else needs to be done to settle the estate. The boat, now, is a major liability, requiring some level of expertise & experience to adequately resolve, which is probably beyond the scope of your immediate task.

Sorry for your loss..it is never easy.
without pics or an inspection... I'm leaning toward this suggestion also....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 11:59   #19

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Take the $20k, do not look back...and run. It's one less thing to deal with during a difficult situation. You don't have the time to make this project worth more.
Old 29-10-2011, 14:34   #20

So, here are some pictures. I thought I posted earlier saying thanks to all of you for your replies. However, when I checked back later I didn't see my post. So, at the risk of being redundent. Thank you all so much. You are a gold mine of good advice and good people by all appearances. Very grateful.
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat <a title=photo 1.jpg Views: 320 Size: 131.6 KB ID: 33095" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	boat <a title=photo 3.jpg Views: 310 Size: 150.3 KB ID: 33096" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	boat photos.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	33097
Old 29-10-2011, 20:00   #21

Boat: too many

deec,

Allow me to turn 2 of your pictures upright.

And I agree with Mark1977, if you "cruise" this forum much, it could change your future and you will find yourself on the hook down in the British Virgin Islands, soaking up some sun and warmth this winter. Or the Sea of Cortez.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 20:57   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

she has a really fine line to her.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 14:57   #23

Thank you for turning my pics. Ran out of time, energy, and patience. Running too fast in too many directions. Did I hear someone say something about The British Virgin Islands? Got her, or should I say him since the name is Maverick, cleaned out today. What a mess. I could have spors growing on my back side there is so much mold. YUK! Having it surveyed tomorrow rather informally so it won't cost an arm and a leg. I am using your referral Skip and I did say hey for you. I also talked to your mover but he is a ways away and was more expensive. The mover I would use is the one that put it here to begin with so he knows what he's up against. Experience is a good thing. Tight squeeze here. He agreed to do it for $1,100.00. Of coarse I hope that I get a buyer fast and leave that to them. But, I have done a bit of homework for them. I will hopfully have it listed in a couple of classifieds tomorrow. I am feeling like a lot is getting done but it all still feels like treading water. Those British Isles are sounding really good. I'll keep ya posted.
Dee
Old 30-10-2011, 15:27   #24

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

From what I have seen in the pics and that it only took a day to clean up below, so couldn't be that bad, I reckon $20k is a steal and IMHO you would be mad to go that way.
Wish it was here in Oz.
Old 30-10-2011, 15:44   #25

Boat: Endeavour 43

I can see why the broker wanted to steal the boat for 20k. From the pics, it appears to be a deck stepped ketch that is designed to lay down on deck. Worth its weight in gold in Europe. Don't be too quick to dump this boat. Get some good photos of the interior and start spreading the word. The price can be raised after you get a good understanding of the boat.
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 15:48   #26

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"

Beautiful boat!Nice lines!

Phil
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 15:56   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Please Help Me Determine Value of Kompier Yacht

Very nice.... worth more than 20k... even without the mast...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 04:06   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by deec View Post
Thank you for turning my pics. Ran out of time, energy, and patience. Running too fast in too many directions. Did I hear someone say something about The British Virgin Islands? Got her, or should I say him since the name is Maverick, cleaned out today. What a mess. I could have spors growing on my back side there is so much mold. YUK! Having it surveyed tomorrow rather informally so it won't cost an arm and a leg. I am using your referral Skip and I did say hey for you. I also talked to your mover but he is a ways away and was more expensive. The mover I would use is the one that put it here to begin with so he knows what he's up against. Experience is a good thing. Tight squeeze here. He agreed to do it for $1,100.00. Of coarse I hope that I get a buyer fast and leave that to them. But, I have done a bit of homework for them. I will hopfully have it listed in a couple of classifieds tomorrow. I am feeling like a lot is getting done but it all still feels like treading water. Those British Isles are sounding really good. I'll keep ya posted.
Dee
Glad to hear the details are coming together. One very important thing to check before hauling the boat back to the water. Make sure all the seacocks are working and can close. A seacock is a valve to turn water on and off. A boat will have a number of holes in the bottom called through hulls for things like feeding water to cool the engine, drain the sink, flushing the head (toilet), etc. Each one of these through hulls goes to a seacock on the inside of the boat, often found under the floor boards or inside the engine room. If any of the hoses coming from the through hulls to the sink, engine, etc leaks then it will sink the boat.

Since this boat has been sitting for some time it is possible the hoses could be old and also that the seacocks corroded so they won't open and close. This is something that the surveyor will check but make sure you look at this closely with him and make sure you get all these sorted out yourself.

Before putting the boat in the water I would make sure that they are all closed, just in case. If you try to run the engine don't forget to open the one that sends cooling water to the engine water pump.

Good luck.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 06:38   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

Nice to see a couple of optimists turn up that's what you'll need

After seeing the photos of the deck (was it Teak? or is it some sort of Fungus? ) simply as an indication of the lack of TLC given over many years (a boat don't get like that within only a couple of years) then I would atill say $20k a decent price...........personally I would be offering only a couple (actually I wouldn't buy her - as well beyond my time / skillset / inclination........as well as being on the wrong continent!)

The good news is that if fixed up she will be a good looking boat and if (as I suspect) she was well designed and built a buyer won't be trying (and failing) to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse (it happens ).

Bad news is that will be at least a 2 year project to complete in someone's life, maybe even 5 .....or never The bad news for you being that restricts the potential market.....

Getting a Surveyor to give her a quick once over is a good move. Depending on what he says I would then be tempted to go for a full on survey simply as a marketing tool, possibly including measuring hull thickness - with a drill I don't know what paperwork you have on her past, but if you can find out a bit more about the model / builder and especially some photos of a good one would be useful to get a buyer's juices going

On the practical front I would also make sure she is wind and watertight, even if that means making some rough and ready hatches out of plywood (not MDF ) with a coat or 2 of household paint. and before going back in the water making sure the bilge pump works, and if not on shoreside electric then a small solar panel (to keep battery topped) would be no bad thing........unless she will be insured
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 09:48   #30
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm sorry for your loss, Dee, and if you've answered this already, I missed it. But are you required to remove the boat from where it is now for some reason? Are you trying to sell the house? Was it a rental and the owner is requiring the removal of the Kompier?

If there's no compelling reason to move the boat off the property, I'd leave it where it is and let the buyer deal with the hassle of moving it wherever it needs to go.

Skip makes a really important observation about seeing to the condition of the seacocks. They're probably not in a completely functional state, and if the vessel goes in the water and sinks, you'll have an even bigger (expensive) problem on your hands.

TaoJones

Tags
yacht