Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2019, 10:21   #1

Boat: Mirage 33
New England to ???? in June- July?

I am fortunate to have a job that allows me to travel between the end of May and September and work wherever I find myself, however I have school age kids.
I am looking for suggestions on where to cruise, leaving from New England sometime between the beginning of May and the end of June and having my wife and children meet me when school ends at the end of June to sail back home together.

My thoughts and ideas based on reading lots and talking with others are:
1. Bermuda: 5-7 day passage, safe destination with lots to do, should be able to get home if any tropical storm action starts further south

2. coastal to Florida Keys and dry tortugas : I estimate 2 weeks at sea to Florida with lots of leeway with regard to timing since I can leave with plenty of extra time, family meets me in St Augustine, spend most of July in area head back before August, concern is Hurricane season

3. coastal to Bahamas : same as above

4. Sail to St. Martin in June or end of May, Meet family end of June, spend a week in the area (st barts/ st martin) to PR, Bahamas and back to East coast with the family to get to North Florida/ Georgia area by the 1st of August, concern is hurricane season and relatively tight schedule to get back to the US before things get really risky.

Unfortunately, although I have incredible flexibility in the late spring and summer, I have none otherwise. Long term goal is to cross the Atlantic in some future May/June so the family can spend July and August in the Med, but I am not ready for that yet.

Brief bio: sailing for 30 years starting in racing dinghies, lots of coastal experience but last long passage was in the med 20 years ago. numerous charters in the Eastern Caribe. Boat: mid weight racer/cruiser but is strong and well prepped for passages. Lastly the ICW holds no appeal to me, and New England is all well worn destinations for me at this point.

thanks for any thoughts or insights!
jimbojonesbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 13:27   #2

Re: New England to ???? in June- July?

Sail to the Azores early/mid June. Takes about 14-17 days from New England. Tour the islands- mostly done by day sails. At end of season park the boat for the winter at one of the islands. Following season do again (tour islands or head to Mainland Europe or other destination- northern Europe south to Madeira /Canary islands.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 15:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
Sail to the Azores early/mid June. Takes about 14-17 days from New England. Tour the islands- mostly done by day sails. At end of season park the boat for the winter at one of the islands. Following season do again (tour islands or head to Mainland Europe or other destination- northern Europe south to Madeira /Canary islands.
I hadn't considered the azores, that is just the kind of inspiration I was hoping for, thanks
Old 14-12-2019, 18:36   #4

Newfoundland is quite nice. I personally prefer the east coast, but the south is also quite nice (more fog) - quite a few whales, and an occasional iceberg on the NE, very friendly people, very interesting harbour.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 18:39   #5

Boat: Maine Cat 38

June on the Chesapeake is nice. July can be hot with typically light winds. This past summer we left the Chesapeake in July to get out of the heat....destination New England!

Out on the ocean and in coastal harbors the temperatures are milder than inland. As an example, back in July while the Chesapeake was sultry and still Chincoteague Virginia was pleasant.
Old 15-12-2019, 08:21   #6

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Since the time you plan to cruise overlaps a large part of the hurricane season I think you'l find that most from the south and mid-Atlantic area head to New England and the Canadian Maritime Provinces for the summer. That is also the preferred destination for better wind and more temperate summer heat and humidity. Insurance also plays into going north vs. south. Just something to consider.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 10:06   #7

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
Since the time you plan to cruise overlaps a large part of the hurricane season I think you'l find that most from the south and mid-Atlantic area head to New England and the Canadian Maritime Provinces for the summer. That is also the preferred destination for better wind and more temperate summer heat and humidity. Insurance also plays into going north vs. south. Just something to consider.
I echo the north to Canada suggestion. Simply marvelous. Although we like Florida and points north from there it just gets better and better the further north you go. That is unless crowds turn you on.

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 10:07   #8

Boat: Nonsuch 354

Drop the whole concept of schedule out of your head and the word out of your vocabulary. Trying to keep a schedule, especially one as tight as what you describe, will get you killed.
Old 15-12-2019, 10:49   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New England to ???? in June- July?

The Bermuda-Azores idea is a great one for you.. cruise the Islands with the family the leave the boat in Terciera and catch a flight direct to Boston.
The following year sail her back home or do Madeira and the Canaries.. but then you hit the snag of getting her home.. not terribly difficult but a long haul via Madeira and Bermuda.
Enjoy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'Useful Idiots' of the West still pay for war in the hope it triggers the 'Rapture'.. LMAO.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 11:25   #10

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls

The PEI Folk Festival.

https://cavendishbeachmusic.com/
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 19:56   #11

Thanks for the ideas and sounding board, all my sailing friends are exclusively from a racing background and I value the cruiser perspective. I'm leaning Bermuda for a there and back, or Azores and leaving the boat till the next Spring to continue toward the Med . The Northeast is a case of "been there done that " for the last decade+. Although friends tell me dry storage in the Azores can be pricey.

Given that I have a 2 month window for the passage to the destination, I don't feel that qualifies as sailing to a schedule. However going South would definitely put me up against a wall (August) for getting out of dodge, which certainly is.
Old 19-12-2019, 08:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadster3 View Post
Drop the whole concept of schedule out of your head and the word out of your vocabulary. Trying to keep a schedule, especially one as tight as what you describe, will get you killed.
Interesting. The way I read it, his schedule was wide open.
izzyforreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 10:26   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojonesbos View Post
Thanks for the ideas and sounding board, all my sailing friends are exclusively from a racing background and I value the cruiser perspective. I'm leaning Bermuda for a there and back, or Azores and leaving the boat till the next Spring to continue toward the Med . The Northeast is a case of "been there done that " for the last decade+. Although friends tell me dry storage in the Azores can be pricey.

Given that I have a 2 month window for the passage to the destination, I don't feel that qualifies as sailing to a schedule. However going South would definitely put me up against a wall (August) for getting out of dodge, which certainly is.
Ive singlehanded to Bermuda four times and I’ll be headed back in the spring. I stay for a couple months and head home when the humidity really ramps up in early July, then I have the rest of the season in New England. Bermuda has lots of things to see and do. The prices that some say are rather high are nearly the same as southern New England. Hundreds of places to anchor for free. Flights from New England for your family to meet you there are cheap.
I really enjoy meeting the many cruisers which stop in Bermuda before heading off to the Azores or New England.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 14:31   #14

Thumbs up Re: New England to ???? in June- July?

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyforreal View Post
Interesting. The way I read it, his schedule was wide open.

Yes , early May to August are totally flexible, roughly 4 months. I regret not just buying a boat in Spain or France since my work schedule would make summering in the Med a perfect proposition but at least for the next few years I am committed to what I have where I have it.
Old 02-02-2020, 13:02   #15

To give folks who contributed a conclusion:

Based on this and other input, currently the plan is a shakedown from Buzzards Bay to the Chesapeake in early May (anticipating 3 days) for my first passage with this particular boat and to get in sync with crew. Then off to Bermuda for a week or so in mid May with family flying out for a an early June return (anticipating 6 days) together after a couple weeks in Bermuda. Planning on heading to Azores in May 2021, with a full crossing under consideration to leave the boat in Europe till the next summer.

thanks for all the input!

Tags
England, new england