Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Is it fair to get N>1 TeeShirts if you find the challenge nominal?
Fair 23 88.46%
Unfair 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2016, 10:00   #16

Boat: Bristol 29
Re: Mr. Manatee's (Vero Beach FL) Burger Night Survey

Totally fair considering the publicity you're giving them. Next time I'm in Vero I'll be sure to check them out!
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 11:50   #17

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I think it's fair, as you and that T-shirt become a walking billboard for Mr. Manatee. But . . . at some point . . . six shirts? ten shirts? twenty? you have a lifetime supply, even if you wear them 24/7. At some point you'll just stop collecting them, I'd guess.

P.S. I can't wait to try one of those burgers!
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 12:00   #18

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Heh. I won't be here long enough. But with all the sun exposure, and that I've not bought a tee in many years, my supply is dwindling...

Don't forget to vote - and if it's no, tell us why...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 12:08   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK I voted, my logic is, if they didn't want repeats, they would say so
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 20:54   #20

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Skip, I am glad to hear that you are doing all the things possible to work on your heart health. If they told you to sit in the chair after a treadmill and to sign a release it means they saw some abnormalities on the ekg that could be trouble. I am not a cardiologist but have been involved in many code blues over my 40 years in the hospital.

If you haven't been worked up completely by a cardiologist you should. Abnormal heart rhythms during cardiac stress (like running, climbing stairs, shoveling snow, etc) can lead to dangerous or deadly outcomes. When I lived in Lake Tahoe for 10 years you wouldn't believe the number of guys that died on the chairlift. With altitude and strenuous exercise it can trigger an infarct. I am not trying to scare you. I am just trying to make sure you do the important things to stay with your loved ones as long as possible. I know there is always a lot of contradictory information about heart health. Look at what they say about egg yolk, butter, sugar, chocolate, wine...on and on...

There is strong genetic information in your family about lipidemia. Sometimes it is written in your genetic code that you do not handle lipids like normal people. Mild exercise...even if it is a brisk 15 min walk or a couple hundred yards of swimming can really help your heart to function more easily. I could go on....Statins come in all kinds of strengths and side effects also.

The other thing to keep a close eye on is your blood pressure. I am not trying to annoy or judge. I do not know your weight in relationship to size but it is good if you can get it down to the correct ratios for height versus mass. Your heart will not have to work as hard. Even if you only drop a couple of pounds over a couple of months....over a year you could knock off 20 lbs. If you are not overweight sorry to dribble on. Smile

My sweet wife is constantly on me not to eat sweets. My parents were sweet eaters and it is the devil for me not to pick up a sweet. So, most of us have some sort of craving that we battle...
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 05:28   #21

Hi, Alan,

I think I have had that workup. I also come from a line of rowers with national championship gold medals; mine, in college, were 3 gold, one bronze, that bronze being the only time in well over 60 races, with over 100 crews faced, that the boat I was in crossed the finish line with anyone's bow in front of ours; my father and uncle had a bunch of shirts from their time at Cornell, too. (In crew racing, you bet your shirt...)

Our sweep of the national championships (Frosh, JV and Varsity) in 1966 will have a reunion and recognition at the finals on Saturday May 14th, too.

I have a PortaBote; I modified it to take sculling oars. I can plane it on the power stroke (of course it settles on the recovery):

Pictures: Flying Pig Early Refit + Projects/Finishing_Touches-Readying_To_Splash/Porta-Bote_Maiden_Voyage_and_Sculling_Modifications

Also check out this recent post in FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Sail...7872334825607/ When I got out of the boat, my legs were dead (I couldn't pull myself up on the recovery without a great deal of effort; everything else, muscle-wise, was fine). They recovered in about 15 minutes. But if a 45-minute, sustained, effort didn't produce a cardiac event, I don't think I'm a likely candidate, any more (see above for expansion and statin effects). Yes I was panting, too - but only for a couple of minutes.

Please understand that this survey is not a request for permission to make it a regular diet. It's merely a request for a vote of Fair or Not Fair as to repeat performances, whether one or a hundred. FWIW, we expect to go to the Bahamas in two weeks or less, dependent first on a couple of critical parts' return from their makers and second, of course, on a weather window. As such, I anticipate perhaps a maximum of one or two repeats; if the Admiral had her way, it would be none, but not for the reasons you espouse. Instead it would be on the grounds of fairness; this poll is to determine if there are others in the same camp.

Thus, if you're still reading at this point, and your "no" vote (there have been N>1, about as many Tees as I've collected) reflects dietary guidance, please change it, or support your position. So far, either here or in social media, nobody has had a "no" vote or, as in the case here, has supported it (the social media is unanimous, albeit with occasional caveats not nearly as erudite as Alan's).

Did you vote "no"? If so, tell us why. If you can't support your position, the vote will be discarded
Did you not vote (and you're obviously reading this)? If not, why?
Old 23-01-2016, 06:16   #22

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

If it's ok with the restaurant it's ok with me.
40 years ago I might have tried it but not now lol.
Old 23-01-2016, 06:40   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Fir or unfair is not the right question, I think. They have a promotion designed to get people in the door. If they give away the tee shirt, they are most likely loosing money. So are you comfortable going out to eat, and taking advantage of this in a way that ensures that the restaurant looses money on you each time you dine?

I would only feel comfortable with that if I ate there 3-4+ times in between the free tee shirts.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 06:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Fir or unfair is not the right question, I think. They have a promotion designed to get people in the door. If they give away the tee shirt, they are most likely loosing money. So are you comfortable going out to eat, and taking advantage of this in a way that ensures that the restaurant looses money on you each time you dine?

I would only feel comfortable with that if I ate there 3-4+ times in between the free tee shirts.

Chris
So, that's a qualified "no" vote (presuming yours is the current change in numbers).

As it happens, I do. So, does that change the vote?

And, you can make your own poll if you don't think it's the right question. It happens to be MY question - you may well have a different one - but I didn't ask it
Old 23-01-2016, 07:27   #25

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Get all those t-shirts you hungry bastard!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 07:42   #26

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Somehow this discussion reminds me of this guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fat-on-franchises.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	117303  
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 10:11   #27

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Somehow this discussion reminds me of this guy.
or his brother,

Old 23-01-2016, 10:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
or his brother,

Well, this sort of defines this thread, now, doesn't it?

QUOTE=OutOfControl

And, with over 1000 views, a less than 1.5% voter participation.

Heh. Nobody gives a rip...
Old 23-01-2016, 12:56   #29

I say it's fair and a win/win for the restaurant, considering the high cost of advertising. The actual cost that it's takes to make the burger and fries plus the cost of the shirt (considering they purchased the shirts with a discount for buying in bulk) probably is a break even deal for the price of the meal that they charge. So they have people walking around with their name on them plus look at all the free advertising they are getting right now because of this thread. It's great way for them to get cheap advertising.
Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 13:16   #30

I agree with Buckshot, and for the naysayer who thought I owed them several meals without the Tee end result, l do that every time I go there, whether it's on Burger night or not.

That is, for every Tee I take out of there, I've been directly responsible for many more full-boat meals (that is, nothing other at the end than the bill and nothing more provided than the ingredients mentioned on the menu).

So, I fit the demands of witzgall (many meals without a Tee); nobody else has begun to defend a 'no' vote...

... and somewhat over 1050 others have looked at it and not clicked the little button

Tags
survey