Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2022, 19:06   #151

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Marinas Bite the Big One

I was enjoying this thread the first 8 pages. Now the political score keepers have come out. Thank you for reaffirming the reason I go sailing...well done.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 19:24   #152

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
I wasnt talking about the US. I have seen a place where minimum wage is now over $20 an hour. Thats happened over a 20 year period, and un imaginable inflation came with, not just because of it, but in part because of it and the thought process that made it happen.

But this IS off topic and therefore dropped.

As some have pointed out, inflation and political policy can very easily be connected, almost idiotic to think it can be separated.
Yes land is becoming more expensive and waterfront even more so, that will happen no matter what the politics. But the rate at which that happens can most definitely be reasonably connected.
Me and my ilk might be open to that thought process, open to a thought process that might dispel the likely hood that the effect is big.....or not.

You and your ilk just like to control what others may say, or not say.

I figure in the next ten years slips/moorings are going to become way more expensive. Obviously going to happen. Regardless of what happens politically or which self centered (insert words here that would get me censured by the moderators) politicians are in charge.

I am looking about 10 years ahead and trying to plan for that now, always seems to me the folks that don't do that are the ones that bitch the most when the obvious occurs.
I don't think as a sailor you would want to be in a marina, more than 30 days any ways.
Don't look for a better rate, maybe look for a better opportunity to sail out.
Marina bound... Creates Politics, within the marina, and gains power from the land bound rants and raves.
Many sail, but never long enough to rid themselves of the horrors they sail to be rid of.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 19:42   #153

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Six posts have been deleted from this thread. Some were political without relation to the subject of the thread, some were rude, and some quoted deleted posts.

Ann
Old 08-02-2022, 19:56   #154

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I doubt even that. Have you been to a boat show lately that has outboard power boats? Twin 350's are passe these days.
Sometimes I long for the days of my youth when my folks owned 6 acres in the middle Keys where I spent my youthful summers in my 12' Sears aluminum boat with it's 5hp air cooled Ted Williams outboard and a cheap red 2.5 gal gas can.
Not in The Seattle Boat Show, our company sells, lots and lots of Yamaha Suzuki merc OBs in the 140 to 350hp range for offshore fishing in the PNW.
BIG Market!
The countries OB sales aren't governed by Floridas Fuel costs, or OB sales.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 21:44   #155
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The inflation rate at my home marina has been 0.4% compounded over the past 35 years.

Like real estate, it's regional.
Old 08-02-2022, 22:15   #156

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I was enjoying this thread the first 8 pages. Now the political score keepers have come out. Thank you for reaffirming the reason I go sailing...well done.
Thank you. I agree
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:38   #157

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Expensive indeed.
$788/month in a full service marina in decent condish that had reasonable access to your sailing area is hardly expensive in my book.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:42   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Safe Harbor. One of the worst
This from someone who makes a point of saying how little time he spends in marinas.

Due to work, I've spent a lot of time in marinas this past year. Based in one for a solid 6 months and marina hopping mostly down the east coast for the rest. It turns out that most of them ended up being SH marinas.

The costs were not out of line, not even the most expensive when I had a choice. All of them had some sort of renovation going on. Friendly folks, clean bathrooms, even a decent beer 'n' burger bar at one of them.

I just don't get making SH into the devil, I certainly have not seen it.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:44   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
California doesnt count because everything there is more $$. that's one reason we moved 22 yrs ago..thnks
Doesn't count as a data point because I doesn't agree with your narrative?
Old 09-02-2022, 07:33   #160

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Doesn't count as a data point because I doesn't agree with your narrative?
Flightlead, good morning: Of course its a data point, 'cause I said it!?

Our town marina (Guilford, CT) is and has been fully funded for years thru slip fees. I am at close to the highest seasonal fee ($2450) at 35.5 ft and maximum is about 38ft. Amenities include; water, electricity, bathroom - sink/urinal/toilet...oh and parking.... https://www.guilfordtownmarina.com/news/
Not an expansive harbor, but very friendly with the dockmasters being local boaters who work part-time. Admittedly we are self-sustaining (new docks about 5yrs ago), but not profit driven, so a marina can be run while keeping slip fees "affordable", even in an arguably more expensive state to live in. thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 07:53   #161

Boat: Norseman 447

"Too expensive." That’s a subjective term.

In the mid-1970s, I was one of the first boats in the brand-new Ventura West Marina. It was designed for liveaboards. Great facilities. I just looked at their website. 1975 prices are from memory.

1970. Today
40’ slip. 275. 680
Live aboard fee. 75. 275
Storage locker. 5. 40
Freezer compartment. 5. 35
Mail box. Free. 25

Total. 1055. 360.

When I moved back to the Bay Area, I paid $800/month for a very nice, new 2-bedroom apartment on Russian Hill.

So $1000/month for a place to live and put your boat and with all the amenities that they now claim to have doesn’t sound "too expensive" to me.

Granted, if I was trying to live just on my social security, it would be. But that’s a different issue.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:30   #162

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
This from someone who makes a point of saying how little time he spends in marinas.

Due to work, I've spent a lot of time in marinas this past year. Based in one for a solid 6 months and marina hopping mostly down the east coast for the rest. It turns out that most of them ended up being SH marinas.

The costs were not out of line, not even the most expensive when I had a choice. All of them had some sort of renovation going on. Friendly folks, clean bathrooms, even a decent beer 'n' burger bar at one of them.

I just don't get making SH into the devil, I certainly have not seen it.
They are trash. They bought up all the good marinas and even the former northeast conglomerate, which was at least family owned, Brewers. I guess you wouldn’t remember any of that since you just started boating, but if you went way back, you’d see what they did to marinas in the northeast USA.

Prices increased substantially at every marina they bought. They are one of the main reasons I don’t go to marinas. I did used to frequent the Brewers conglomerate.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:10   #163

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
"Too expensive." That’s a subjective term.

In the mid-1970s, I was one of the first boats in the brand-new Ventura West Marina. It was designed for liveaboards. Great facilities. I just looked at their website. 1975 prices are from memory.

1970. Today
40’ slip. 275. 680
Live aboard fee. 75. 275
Storage locker. 5. 40
Freezer compartment. 5. 35
Mail box. Free. 25

Total. 1055. 360.

When I moved back to the Bay Area, I paid $800/month for a very nice, new 2-bedroom apartment on Russian Hill.

So $1000/month for a place to live and put your boat and with all the amenities that they now claim to have doesn’t sound "too expensive" to me..
Bycrick, you and I have similar travels. I was in SF from 1979-83, lived in the inner/outer Sunset. Learned to sail thru courses at UCSF...moved south to Orange County, more lessons thru Orange Coast College (amazing resource that cost next to nothing), then moved to Carpinteria, more courses out of Ventura & joined the sailing club in Santa Barbara...moved to CT in 2000..Couldnt agree with you more that $1000/month for anything in Calif, northern or southern or even central is down right cheap! If only we could have afforded to keep our hse in Carpinteria!! enjoy..
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:45   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
They are trash. They bought up all the good marinas and even the former northeast conglomerate, which was at least family owned, Brewers. I guess you wouldn’t remember any of that since you just started boating, but if you went way back, you’d see what they did to marinas in the northeast USA.

Prices increased substantially at every marina they bought. They are one of the main reasons I don’t go to marinas. I did used to frequent the Brewers conglomerate.
Well true, I'm a relative novice at this hobby/lifestyle. That works both ways though, I don't have inherent biases. My experience just doesn't agree with your claims.

I also fail to see the equivalence between "family owned" (or similar) and a "good" marina. In my (limited) experience the "family owned" or "non-conglomerate" ones are the ones in disrepair, with splintering, falling apart docks, cleats pulling out, iffy fuel, nasty bathrooms in disrepair, and so on.

I just don't see SH as the devil and have seen no evidence presented to support the argument.

And they certainly aren't buying against the sellers will are they? The seller is getting out of the business for whatever reason. When someone is getting out of the business usually service suffers while they do so.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:54   #165

Boat: Norseman 447

If one works 40 hours/week at the $15/hr minimum wage, a person with a paid-for boat would spend less than half their income on rent by staying in Ventura West. And that’s with a 40’ boat. Even in expensive CA, that doesn’t seem out of line to me. Even for a marina run by a big, nasty, trashy corporation.

I was there in the middle/late 70s, living in Ventura and working in Carpintería.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas