Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2021, 04:45   #91

Re: La Vagabonde Contractory Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by syPhilos View Post
So? Don't use it.

How do you know what their income is? Have you seen their tax returns?
And how much is "enormous"? (Asking for a friend )

If you don't like what they're doing and/or don't trust what they're saying, just don't donate.

TL;DR: who cares. It's donate button, and/or a Patreon button. There's plenty of sailors not going hungy (to put it mildly) who have donation buttons and/or Patreon pages. And even worse: millions of non-sailors do too!

Why not just let people decide for themselves if they want to donate to/support someone?

I liked their first few movies, but the more commercial they got, they less I watched. The only channel I still follow is Barry (Old Sea Dog). But that's just me, I don't feel the need to more or less 'motivate' others in doing the same
Thanks for turning me on to Barry (OSDog)!! Following Sampson,UMA, Atticus , Plukky & Captain Q, needed a new Rabbit Hole to jump into.
ptards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:26   #92

I fail to see how what Sailing LaVagabonde does, or doesn't do, or says on the internet, is any of my business.

They found a way to sail the world at relatively young age. I wish I had.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:43   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanluvr View Post
For the life of me I cannot understand why ANYONE would 'donate' or contribute money to someone making YouTube videos? What a scam, live the life you dream of and lets someone else pay for it!
Simple, it's entertainment and a form of escapism, a bit like going to the cinema, watching a baseball game or reading a book.

I don't support any channels, but I did commission Maddy from YT channel Rigging Doctor, to paint a picture of our new Cockapoo whilst they were in the Azores early last year. She is an Artist and Art Teacher and its a really nice painting. so happy to support them.

So I kind of like support folk who are doing something in addition to entertainment. Here is another young couple, Dom has gone back to work during the pandemic and Carly turning her hand to making bespoke dog leads to help fund their life style.

Pete

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:40   #94

Boat: Beneteau 331

Sailing Cadoha is a very nice one. Excellent quality videos and they are very relatable.

As for La Vagabonde, I stopped watching them once they started emphasizing all the spear fishing. Glorification of that kind of cruelty turns me off completely - I want to watch a sailing show, not a fishing show. But their early videos had a lot to do with getting me interested in sailing, so I do owe them that. And the kid is so cute

I think the Wynns are underrated - their videos are of consistently good quality, you learn so much from them, they are funny, they never ask for donations and their ethics are second to none.

I do not donate to any of them, but if I were to Cadoha would probably be at the top of the list.
Nefrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 18:18   #95

Boat: Sabre 34 mark II 1990

I like S/V Delos, they’re real people doing regular lifestyle sailing. We too are Liveaboard, they are a wonderful young family.
Dweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 22:07   #96

It's one thing to ask for donations and patrons, it's another to be lying pieces of ****
sea2ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:21   #97

Boat: Catalina 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlegreg View Post
Really ?

I have not watched but do they claim that watching their shows will provide some miraculous cure ?

Or do they let you try the product for free (repeatedly) and then ask if you want to pay them something as a reward for their production ?

Are books snake oil ?
Is music snake oil ?
Are movies or TV shows snake oil ?

Or maybe you did not really think about it at all before posting a trite comment ?

I read it, thought about it, and reaffirm it. You don't have to agree but to deny it just confirms W.C. Fields.
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:07   #98

Boat: 1980 Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
The la Vagabonde people say that they "bought" the Outremer, but Outremer said it was a lease. This is significant because they are asking for donations. .......Outremer said is it a sponsorship deal. The vagabonde people said the bought it. This does not add up. The difference is La Vagabonde has a Paypal "Donate" button on their website.
This seems like a lot of nitpicking. I admire them, and their creative way of embracing their adventure. I envy them and wish that I had been able to do something like that when I was young.

Actually, I guess I did, as much as that kind of thing was possible in the 70s. I logged about 58,000 miles hitchhiking around the country in my twenties. People gave me rides for free. There were often people who bought me meals and gave me a free place to stay for a night.

Some people called people like me freeloaders. There were plenty of dads and moms who picked me up, and bought me meals, and said that they admired my sense of adventure, or they had a son or daughter and they thought of them when they picked me up.
Midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 22:09   #99

Gidday all,
Like the La Vagabond crew, I'm an Aussie. It is great seeing a couple of Aussies doing so well with something they enjoy and something that brings joy to so many others.

I hope they make squillions.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie - Oi Oi Oi!
Ozzlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 23:30   #100

FWIW, I have a PayPal "Donate" button on my web page. To date, I have received exactly one dollar. And that was from a co-worker of mine who was either trying to be funny, feeling sorry for me or both. Meanwhile, there is no shortage of people clicking on the two "Free Download!" buttons. :|

I have seen a lot of "donate" buttons myself. Probably hundreds. I'd bet I've clicked on less than five. And I've gotten a lot of great, free stuff from the internet. I just don't donate ... even though I probably should. And it seems that most people are like me. (Although I do make direct donations to actual, reputable charities from time to time.)

But that's the beauty of this kind of model: you don't have to click the button if you don't want to or can't afford to. And no one (AFAIK) is being forced to produce free content. I do it because I love my hobby and I want to share it with as many people as possible - and get them interested in celestial navigation and astronomy, science and navigation in general. And just maybe because I also feel a little guilty for taking so much but giving nothing - so it's my way of giving a little back.

So, I think you all know what you should do now.
( ↑ I am really just kidding.)
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:15   #101

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzlawrence View Post

Well.......that was cringe worthy
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:20   #102

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I have always been mystified as to why people want to throw their hard earned money at other people's cruising kitty instead of their own. Personally, I prefer to donate to legitimate charities that actually help people in need instead of wealthy millennials out having fun. But to each their own. A fool and his money etc.

It's also interesting that donators don't seem to care one iota if they are being scammed or not, so long as the T and A keeps coming each week. By scammed I mean having the begging misrepresented...."boo hoo hoo, please send me money so I can fix my boat", when the REAL intent is to buy a NEW boat. Nobody seems to have a problem with that....which is funny as hell to me.

There should be college courses on this phenomena.

As to La Vag....number ONE by a long shot. So no matter what they're doing. they are filling a need and profiting handsomely from it thanks to the generosity of all the suckers, I mean people out in fandomland.
Personally I don't mind donating to a select few struggling cruisers who are making content I really like. However, it makes no sense in my book to donate to YouTube celebrities who are earning way more than me and have much fancier boats. I generally find the shoe-string sailors make more compelling content anyway.
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:39   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
+1

Well said.
Well if people about whom that person is talking are liars is it really well said?
Old 08-03-2021, 08:40   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzlawrence View Post
Gidday all,
Like the La Vagabond crew, I'm an Aussie. It is great seeing a couple of Aussies doing so well with something they enjoy and something that brings joy to so many others.

I hope they make squillions.

They could do it without lying to people though.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:35   #105

Boat: 1980 Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2ocean View Post
It's one thing to ask for donations and patrons, it's another to be lying pieces of ****
Wow, you really seem to dislike them. That's a harsh accusation. Do you know for a fact that it was intentional lying, or just a mis-statement about the exact nature of their catamaran deal?
Midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contract